Facial symptoms!

Could the styloid or the stylohyoid compress the trigeminal nerves ? I am asking this because I have been having weird sensations in my face .

Absolutely, it can compress the nerves and arteries and cause so much pain and very strange feelings such as numbness & tingling, teeth pain, jaw pain, general facial pain, neck pain , throat pain, extreme headaches, etc.. its horrible.

I hope you feel better and find a solution.

Wow!! Thanks JAY C. ! I absolutely can relate to all the symptoms you just mentioned. Hope you feel better too.

yes it can and one of the members on this forum has a document proving it so ill try to find it for you later,

As for my I get tingling on the right side of my face additionally it feels like my right eye is a bit weaker than my left. This sensation started with my " Eagle attacks".

It has been reported that an elongated styloid process can compress 7 of the 12 cranial nerves on one side. The 5th is one of them. Since my eagles diagnosis and first surgery this past August, keeping my neck and shoulder muscles relaxed have been challenging. What's even more of a challenge is keeping focused on keeping my jaw relaxed and not clenching my teeth and keeping my tongue relaxed. I've had to completely retrain and re-route my brain function now that 7 of the 12 cranial nerves aren't pancaked and my carotid and jugular flow freely on the left side :)

so are you trying to say your surgery was not a success?

AmyBlue said:

It has been reported that an elongated styloid process can compress 7 of the 12 cranial nerves on one side. The 5th is one of them. Since my eagles diagnosis and first surgery this past August, keeping my neck and shoulder muscles relaxed have been challenging. What's even more of a challenge is keeping focused on keeping my jaw relaxed and not clenching my teeth and keeping my tongue relaxed. I've had to completely retrain and re-route my brain function now that 7 of the 12 cranial nerves aren't pancaked and my carotid and jugular flow freely on the left side :)

It was a total success to have all of that pressure removed from all of those vital structures that have been impinged my entire life. I just never realized before I was diagnosed how tense I was as a result of having "spikes" coming out of my skull. And now that one is gone and I still have one in there, I need to keep myself relaxed until the other one is gone.

I wonder why they didnt do both... Im scheduled to get mine removed in three weeks.. but he said he would do them both at the same time.

AmyBlue said:

It was a total success to have all of that pressure removed from all of those vital structures that have been impinged my entire life. I just never realized before I was diagnosed how tense I was as a result of having "spikes" coming out of my skull. And now that one is gone and I still have one in there, I need to keep myself relaxed until the other one is gone.

I had some complications with my hyoid from a car accident back in '07 and it had to be rebuilt. I also had heavy calcification around my jaw, skull, throat and down to my collar bone that needed to be removed too, not just the styloid removal. My surgeon chose to do it in 2 surgeries.

Hi… Are you having intraoral or external surgery on both the styloids? I’m 3 weeks (well, two weeks and 4 days today to be exact) post op from intraoral on my left styloid. Still have to get my right done.

i can say a big yes to problems with the face

eye twitch, eye pain, face pain, ear pain, i had big sore spot on the top of my head and two more at the base of my skull. teeth pain that would move around, some days it would be upper right, then moved to lower left, it just traveled all around.

most problems would be worse as the day went on.

two cuts on my neck later, i would say 99% of my issues have gone away. it is unreal how much stuff was being aggravated by those things. (and almost all of the doctors i saw told me that there was no way the styloids could be causing any of it)

trooper did you ever feel pain around your tonsils area more like a knife almost like someone is cutting the inside of your throat with a blade? it just feels weird to me I also get pains along the jaw line and and my glands under the chin and jaw feel like they itch and burn . did you ever get that kind of symptoms ?

i felt this also felt a pinching sensation at times. Sometimes it was sensation of being very sore in that area

tiagito78 said:

trooper did you ever feel pain around your tonsils area more like a knife almost like someone is cutting the inside of your throat with a blade? it just feels weird to me I also get pains along the jaw line and and my glands under the chin and jaw feel like they itch and burn . did you ever get that kind of symptoms ?

did not have anything in the tonsil area, occasional sharp shooting pain down the throat

the spit gland under the right lower jaw was swelled out for several years

anything touching it would make me gag and cough. the thing was usually about 3 times larger than the left side.

the right styloid was irritating the thing. since it was irritated, it was over producing, and it was like I was drowning in spit. when I would actually get some sleep, I would get woke up choking on the spit.

kept bringing it up to all of the local doctors, almost 10 years. they would poke around on it and say that it didn't feel "abnormal" or "un usual" . every time they touched it I about puked on them. compare it to the other side, it is huge. their answer was "sometimes they do that" . I was going to a bunch of quacks....

prednisone packs would help and reduce the swelling until a couple weeks after the pills ran out.

post op, it took about 2 weeks for the swelling to go down and it has been ok ever since

I am kind of surprised to hear that Mt83, usually doctor's are only comfortable doing one side at a time, and frankly the surgery isn't a fun recovery, I cant imagine having both sides done at once, I would think I would have taking too many painkillers after surgery. But good luck mate

Hi all -

I am curious. I saw an ENT in Pittsburgh and he said because my styloids (6 cm) are so long, he'd go in at the throat and shave as much as he could before it got 'dangerous.' ~~ I assume he meant near all the nerves and arteries.

In my case, all my pain is behind my ear/jaw. I'm thinking shaving off down in the throat area won't help my symptoms. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Hopeful

I would recommend full removal, lots of us who had a partial done, which kind of sounds like what he is talking about, although I would ask him if when he says shave it down if he is removing enough of it , say 3.5 cm and shaving the end of the process down a bit to a normal size, it is very hit or miss with this syndrome unfortunately.

if they have to go in, make sure they take the things off as close to the base of the skull as possible,

they are not needed for anything and only cause trouble. only taking half out just leaves an opening for what is left to continue to cause more problems.

I had mine removed extraoral in philly, wouldn't have it any other way. I do have a scar on each side of my neck but it is hard to see.

Does anyone know how fast these styloids grow or drop from the time the symptoms started. I have to wait 6 months for my Insurance to kick in. Is it related how stressed you are?

Thanks Lively Cadaver (love that name!) and Trooper Dude. I It does make sense to take the entire styloid out. I have a major fear factor that things might get worse if I do surgery (it gets botched or something.) Yet there are times I almost pray someone would use me for target practice, the pain is so bad.

Appreciate the input AND this entire site. It's awesome.

~~ Hopeful