Having Bilateral Surgery on Monday 11/23 ! Prayers Please

Hi Priscilla,

Nurses are often given general information to pass along to patients so you have an intermediate answer until the doctor can get back to you. Once the doctor gets the message, he will often give more specific instructions which you ultimately receive.

The facial nerve is sometimes irritated during ES surgery which causes the lower lip paralysis. It is annoying not to have control over your lower lip, but in every case I know of from this forum, the nerve has re-awakened & lip control is regained w/in a few weeks to a few months. It will be a gradual process, so unfortunately, you won’t wake up one morning w/ your lip looking & acting normal. I had a half paralyzed tongue after my first ES surgery. Though it’s a different situation, many of the side effects are similar i.e. talking & eating normally were a challenge for me for about 6 months. The lip problem is usually pretty well resolved w/in four months post op.

1 Like

Hopefully not too long! But as Isaiah says, we can’t think of anyone who hasn’t had this resolved, keep strong! Hope you can still enjoy your Thanksgiving.

1 Like

How is your daughter doing? I am wondering if she is able to open her mouth very much, my jaw is so soar and my ears too. Hope your daughter is healing well with out too much pain. Did Dr. Hackman also cut her at the ear and throat on each side like me?

Hi, Priscilla. I hope you’re doing much better since I’m just getting in here to see you’ve messaged 3 days ago. I feel like each day is so different as I watch Ari heal. She does have four surgical sites, the ears and neck. She has stopped using the compression band because not just falls off. She’s eating normal now and hasn’t been taking meds. She was using the ibuprofen like you three times a day. She could actually sleep doing that. Tonight is her first night in the bed because her tailbone is irritated from the recliner. Ice feels amazing. She is at the stage of feeling the burning sensations here and there if you recall being told that in the hospital. She has some dizziness. I can get a better bit of info from her tmrw and let you know. We’ve all been talking about you in our family. You’re famous in our house as Ari’s surgical twin. Praying for your recovery. Let me know how you are.

:hugs:

2 Likes

Hope you both are doing well and improving. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I am so glad she is doing well! I am feeling so much better today. I saw Dr. Hackman and he said everything looks good. Hope Ari is healing well and I think about her all the time too! Twins! Yes!

Yes, I am really feeling pretty good today! Thanks

2 Likes

Thank you for the update, Priscilla. I’m so glad you’re feeling better. I also hope that each successive day sees some improvement. Do be careful to mete out your energy a little at a time, & don’t jump back into full time motherhood too quickly as that will set your healing back i.e. symptoms may flare & you’ll find yourself down & out for a few days each time you overdo. Baby steps, baby steps as you re-enter your regular daily schedule.

That’s good to hear, as Isaiah says, take it steady though!

I’m glad you’re doing well. You prob have most of your glue gone by now anything else gone? Your symptoms you once had? Ari’s glue is gone from the neck incisions but her ears still have the glue. All that peeling looked like burned skin. We had some laughs over that. Her recovery was like nothing for her.

2 Likes