UNC Dr. Hackman bilateral surgery 6/5/2024

Apparently I wrote some opinions that were controversial or offensive to some. Look, I am not a theologian, and won’t debate getting my opinions cancelled out. I simply do not have the energy, yet I understand that their are moderators who feel the need to govern content. That’s your right.

Instead I am a man who is making his way through life with limited knowledge blind faith.

I don’t have the energy or desire to get into any debates on theology, or biblical quotes.

I end by saying that I wish each and everyone of you well, including the best in your own relationship with the Divine.

V/R
Happy Bear

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the in depth detail. Ive been so scared to get surgery. And everyday I wake up thinking I should then the next I think I shouldnt. Please keep us updated

2 Likes

I’m glad you’re through with surgery, sounds quite a rough recovery but hopefully you’ll heal quickly and start to feel the benefits of the increased blood flow :pray:

2 Likes

So good to hear from you, @HappyBear! Glad you’re through and on the road to recovery! That’s amazing that he only had to make incisions at your ears. It will feel weird for a little while. 2.5 weeks post-op, and I still feel weird pulling sensations (no pain, though). The neck incisions are worse, so I’m glad you only had the ears! And how awesome that you’re already noticing a difference! I was also intubated (had a sore throat for a few days) and, honestly, kind of forgot about the drain tubes. I was much more out of it for a bit after surgery! Keep us posted on your recovery, and welcome to the club, lol!

2 Likes

@HappyBear - Thank you for the update & pictures. Your brain fog & the symptoms you still have will most likely be with you for a while but will gradually decrease as your swelling goes down. I expect your mind will become more clear as time passes.

Sleeping with your head well elevated for the first couple of weeks after surgery is very helpful for reducing inflammation in your neck & throat areas. All in all it seems like everything went pretty well. Being in the hospital is never fun & medical staff are often stretched a bit thin but I’m glad your overall experience wasn’t too bad.

It’s good you’ll get to go home soon. If you haven’t requested a wheelchair at the airport at both the NC & Los Angeles ends of your trip (& in between if you have a layover), you should do that as it will expedite the trip to & from your gate in each place plus you won’t get so tired.

Please continue to update us as your recovery progresses.

:hugs: :pray:

1 Like

Cancelled out

I am so glad that surgery went well for you! Dr. Hackman truly is the best. I am going in for my second surgery with him on August 2.

Just so you know, and for everyone else that hasn’t undergone surgery with general anesthesia before, being intubated is a normal, expected, and required part of undergoing general anesthesia. I’m sorry that you didn’t realize this before being put under! It’s a lot easier to deal with it (mentally) after waking up if you know what to expect (also mentally) beforehand. A sore throat is common and it’s important to keep clearing out your lungs for about a week afterwards. This helps prevent the development of pneumonia.

I hope that you get all of your answers at your postop. I’m also looking forward to pictures, should you be able to post them! My right styloid was 2.5 inches long. Can you believe it? Here’s a picture since you seem to be into that!

I also did end up with a neck incision (styloid was so long + thick due to calcification and combination with styloyoid ligament that he had to break it and remove each end from the corresponding incision), in addition to the one along my ear, and this is what that looked like.

Keep us posted on your recovery!

1 Like

Great update! Glad surgery went well and hope you get answers to your questions in you follow tomorrow. I wish that had taken thin sections of your styloids. Looking at the the internal structures of a styloid in thin section will show it’s morphology. My styloid thin section shows clear signatures of ligament tears and I imagine that yours would as well given your injury history. In the images below the yellow arrows point to sinusoidal pull-apart structures as portions of the ligament began to fail. The black arrows point to the 90 degree doglegs at the end off the sinusoidal pull-apart structures and demonstrate complete failure of the ligament tissue resulting in a tear. It is clearest in the soft tissue at the tip of my styloid where the styloid was extracted and pulled away from the surrounding ligament tissue. I believe the larger bulbous cavity sections are caused when the vascular structures in ligaments are also torn and fluids traveling into the ligament have no way out. Best of luck with your recovery and trip back home! :pray: :heart:

Oops, it won’t let me upload the images to this post. I am putting together a video for YouTube that will demonstrate all of this

I just updated your account so you can post images now, @Herd_Mentality_101.

Interesting information you provided about what a thin section of styloid can show!

Hi Isaiah,

Thank you for the update! I’ll go ahead and upload the images to the post. I am still recovering from tethered cord surgery so the final presentation of this will come out in a month or two.

Best,
Kevin

2 Likes

I’m sorry you’ve had two rare syndromes to deal with @Herd_Mentality_101. Who did your tethered cord surgery? We have another forum member who had that surgery a couple of months ago.

1 Like

I actually have several other “rare” syndromes/diseases. Meniere’s disease, thoracic outlet syndrome, and superior semicircular dehiscence are the main ones along with ES and tethered cord

I went with Dr Petra Klinge in Providence, RI for tethered cord surgery. She is amazing!

1 Like

That is rough- we have had quite a few members recently who have TOS, and a couple with SCDS. It does seem as though some people are ‘prone’ to vascular obstructions, and also there is thinking that if the jugular veins are compressed then the increased intracranial pressure perhaps wears the tiny bones causing openings like in SCDS. (If you didn’t know already…)