How many of you has Tonsillectomy long before you were diagnosed with Eagles?

I was just curious as to check why are we getting this problem.I read somewhere in this blog that Tonsillectomy in the past can cause/leads to growth of styloid process.

I had my tonsils removed when I was a kid.So I was wondering how many of you has tonsillectomy in the past.

I didn’t have tonsillectomy, but here are two scientific studies on this:

The two most important quotes from these articles:

“Eagle’s Syndrome that follows a tonsillectomy procedure is characterized by symptoms of dysphagia, pain, referred otalgia, dysphagia and foreign body sensation in the pharynx.2,4 Healing tonsillectomy scar tightens the mucosa across the tip of the elongated styloid process.2,4 Upon normal function such as yawning, eating and swallowing, the movements of this mucosa across the styloid process give rise to symptoms”

“The classic type of Eagle’s syndrome can develop after tonsillectomy, when scar tissue under the tonsillar fossa compresses and stretches cranial nerves V, VII, IX, and X. This type includes symptoms such as foreign body sensation, pain referred to the ear, and dysphagia.”

When Watt Eagle first discovered this syndrome, he believed tonsillectomy to be the cause, I think. But obviously it’s not the cause for everyone, pharyngeal trauma is a coomon cause, possibly metabolic disorders… there’s info in the Newbies Guide section as well as the links Michael’s kindly posted.
I’ve not had my tonsils out, I believe mine was possibly due to a bad whiplash injury I had 20+ years ago.

1 Like

I had a tonsillectomy in 2009. I’m 2011 I suffered facial paralysis on the side where I have eagles syndrome. This was picked up on a CT scan and after complaints to my doctor about the lump in the back of my throat. I often wonder whether these two symptoms ( that affects the VII cranial nerve) are connected.
Has anyone in the group experienced the same?

I had a tonsillectomy when I was 6, 25 years ago. I had strep throat every 6 weeks for a year before that. Something was not right with my tonsillectomy and I ended up in the hospital for 3 days after vomiting for 6 hours strait post-operation. I have been going through any possible accidents or other causes but I keep coming back to the tosillectomy and perhaps something went wrong there… we always thought the Demerol made me sick but maybe something different?

I had my tonsils removed at 12 yrs old, as well as a bad car accident at 15 yrs old which included going through a windshield resulting in whiplash and a severe concussion .
Have had neck pain in varying severity ever since.

I had my tonsils out when I was 4 because I kept getting sick & my hearing would go out because tonsils blocked my Eustachian tubes so fluid would collect causing the hearing trouble. Tonsil removal solved that problem.

Ouchie ouch! Poor you Daisy, that sounds awful… I had a bad whiplash injury over 20 years ago which I believe was perhaps the cause of my ES. No tonsillectomy though, but it is a known cause.

I had my tonsils removed in 2009. 2012 Eagles Syndrome 1st diagnosed.

I had my tonsils out at age 9 after being hospitalized with severe tonsillitis a month prior and frequent tonsillitis at ages 8 and 9. I’m now 42 and have been suffering with pain for the past 4-5 years that has now bee diagnosed as Eagles

Hi Diasy ~
I neglected to mention that I’ve had 2 head injuries (both were from bike accidents) & 2 neck injuries (1 whiplash the other a compression injury) but nothing compared to what you’ve been through! I also have neck pain which I regularly get treated by a chiropractor. It’s not a cure but it gives me space between my pain w/o taking meds to make me comfy. I suspect that these incidents were more involved in my developing ES than my tonsillectomy was.

Yes I suspect that the car accident was the main culprit…They do say ES is caused from “trauma”.
I’m hesitant to see the chiro anymore… but i do massage, cranialsacral as well as see a Dr of TCM for acupuncture, and other healing. Anything to help until I can see about surgery .

It was so long ago that I can’t remember alot about it (except for the pain!), but I was referred to a doctor for my whiplash who tried traction & manipulation, that made things so much worse so I don’t think it helped at all! Does the acupuncture help? It’s fascinating- my aunt had some for TN & it really seemed to help her.

The acupuncture has helped a lot with headaches and the pain in back of neck , shoulders and back!
My pain is getting more persistent and broad… so if it can alleviate some , it’s helpful!!