How to request CT images?

I had a CT done back in October- I was supposed to have it done with contrast but I opted out of that at the last minute due to Anxiety/Fear of the iodine treatment.
I want to request the CT scan images from the place I had them done so I can upload them here for opinions as well as use those to get a second opinion.
They told me the CT did not show elongated styloid but now even when I push on the left back of my throat I feel a sharp stabbing sensation along with intense Globus sensation.
How did you ask for your images? Do you just call and ask?
Thank you for all your help!

Just contact the clinic/office where the scan was done. They will be able to send you a CD or USB stick with the files. They do this every day - itā€™s not a weird request.

1 Like

A note - ALWAYS request that any imaging be put on DVD before you leave the facility. This should be easy for them to do, although you may have to wait an additional 15 minutes or so for them to compile things.
In the US, independent radiology companies are required to provide a portal with access to imaging to patients. Some places interpret this to include actual images and some just the report.
Images can be easily misplaced - itā€™s software behind the scenes- insist on a hard copy, so that you can take it to independent radiologists for another opinion, or alternatively provide it to your surgeon.
In order to acquire your images, if there is no portal, you may need to go in person to a ā€œrecordsā€ location. Iā€™ve actually had to do this.
Always remember that these are pictures of YOU, and you are therefore legally empowered to have them, not just the report.

4 Likes

I went & got a CD of my ES CT images 7 years after my surgeries. I think radiology clinics are required to keep copies for 10 yrs. I did have to go in person to request it & then wait for a few min for them to make my copy.

1 Like

I agree with everything stated above, it shouldnā€™t be an issue at all.
I have previously asked for the images to be on my own USB and one clinic declined my request (I think they were concerned with ā€˜bugsā€™ on my usb) but were more than willing to burn me a CD with the data.
Iā€™ve now obtained digital copies of all of my scans CTā€™s, MRIā€™s and Bone scans.
Iā€™m in Australia and when I initially requested the images I was told it could only be done in-person, this way they could verify the patient ID prior to release, patient confidentiality etc

Merl from the Modsupport Team

3 Likes

I am weirdly passionate about medical imaging. :flushed:

2 Likes

I echo the above mentioned. A phone call to the clinic, asked to be transferred to records and ask the records dept for a copy of your CT. Theyā€™ll have you come pick it up within a day or so. Sometimes same day.

Also, donā€™t be afraid to get a 2nd opinion. Often times you can have your scan sent over electronically to another doctor for review.

Best wishes!

2 Likes

@tokenegret - I am too! Firm believer in having as much responsibility in my healthcare as my providers do.

3 Likes