I havent been diagnosed but have many symptoms and wanted to share my ct

Could this be the cause?
I have burning tongue, Pain in left tonsil, foreign body sensation, headaches, earaches, dizziness and on pushing my left tonsil I can feel something like a bone that makes a cracking sound in my ear.

How do I share my ct?

Welcome, Taith! You’re in a great place for support and help. Your symptoms are absolutely within the realm of ES. I’m not as as experienced as others with CT observations and this one in particular isn’t as obvious to me but some of the more experienced folks will certainly chime in.

Have you visited yet with a specialist who’s experienced with ES? In the Newbie guide here you’ll find a list of ES experienced doctors and this would be an excellent start if you find one close to you. You’ll want your most recent CT re-reviewed to look specifically at not only the styloid but the ligament that attaches to it to see if there’s any calcification. It’s not always the length of the styloid rather the curve, thickness and also could be a calcified ligament alone that’s compressing/irritating vascular structures and nerves.

Again, welcome and you should expect other replies trickling in soon :blush:


Hi & welcome to the site! I’ve sent you a message with the link to the doctors list, & to the Newbies Guide where you can read up on common symptoms- yours have all been experienced by members here with ES…
I’m not a doctor, we can only say what we’ve learnt ourselves, & hopefully others will chip in after looking at your CT, but I think your styloids are the wide bits coming down from the skull base, the part you circled could well be a piece of calcified ligament… If they are then they’re very wide so could well be impinging on nerves.

WOW! You have two very thick styloids plus, as @Jules noted, a section of stylohyoid ligament that’s calcified. I’ve re-annotated your image & the styloids are circled in blue w/ your ligament circled in red as you had it. As we have no doctors on our list for your state, you may need to travel to find someone to help you. Here is some doctor info that may be helpful for you:
The type of doctor that usually treats ES is a skull-based ENT surgeon, head & neck surgeon, neurosurgeon or maxillofacial surgeon. These doctors are often cancer specialists. Understanding the type & thoroughness of a doctor’s surgical approach is important. We recommend the external (vs. intraoral) approach as access to the styloids & stylohyoid ligaments is better, & the styloid can be removed back to the skull base, & the stylohyoid ligaments, if calcified, can be removed as well. This provides the best long-term recovery from ES symptoms. Nerves & vascular tissues can also be better monitored & seen via the external approach. Not all ENTs are familiar with ES & only a few who are familiar with it, actually do the necessary surgery to help correct the symptoms. A number of our members have found they need to travel some distance to see an experienced ES doctor.
Jules has also written a couple of very comprehensive posts about ES symptoms & their causes. You can find these by clicking on the magnifying glass icon & typing symptoms in the search box. Her posts will be the top two that are in the list that comes up.

1 Like