Intra oral surgery-who has had this who already had tonsils out previously?

My sense of smell seems to be ok, at least I have no problems smelling most things. Just weird feeling in the back of my throat where back of my tongue is, and weird metallic taste back there messing up what everything tastes like. Hopefully it goes away!

Now about 5 weeks past surgery, I’m starting to feel the left side. If I remember a lot of posts, that’s not uncommon. I can feel the occasional sharp pain right where the left styloid is, and I’m noticing more symptoms on the left side. So my thoughts I’ll be able to skip getting rid of this side I think are probably low odds.

Glad you are doing better redfairy. You will probably notice alot of improvement over the next 3 weeks. I had my other side flair at about week 12 after surgery which was strange. It quickly calmed down thankfully but every once in a while I get some shooting pain over there reminding me it is still there. Wouldnt it be nice not to go thru this twice? :rofl: Happy healing.

Hi redfaery,

The remaining styloid can cause crossover symptoms to the now styloid-less side. It’s possible your tongue sensations & the metallic taste are being caused by the remaining styloid, though since you’re still in fairly early recovery, they could also be the result of healing from your first surgery. I’m sorry you’re feeling the remaining styloid. Many of us had hoped to be done after one surgery, but alas, it wasn’t to be. We commiserate & sympathize with you. :hugs:

1 Like

That’s a shame that the other side is playing up, looks like it might have to be done too. Gentle hugs!

1 Like

So the tongue sensation is still around, still taste is distorted on the side that wasn’t done, and the last two days I now feel like something is poking painfully in back of my throat on that side. I’m now 2 months post op on the left side removal. So I think when I go back to surgeon in the spring it’s looking like taking out the other side.

Sounds like that’s a good idea…

I had my left side removed yesterday Intraorally. My tongue is numb and i can’t really taste much. My doctor said it was from using the clamp on my tongue. I’m also having ear pain. I’m disappointed because he didn’t removed to the base of the skull, but said he did get a good bit of it out(at least what he thinks was causing most of my issues) my doctor had me on norco in the hospital, but then last night one hof his residents came by and changed it to Tylenol every 4 hours and oxy every 6 hours. When i got my script filled i realized she was the one who wrote it. She barely gave me any pain meds. She put to take 5 ml every 6 hours and only gave me a 7 day supply. Then i had to buy the Tylenol liquid over the counter. I already know with the amount of pain I’m in that it will not be enough. They also gave me some mouthwash for bacteria to rinse with after i eat. They kept me overnight and gave me 2 iv bags of antibiotics. Also the pain meds were not covered by my insurance since a resident prescribed them to me so i had to pay 21 dollars for a little bottle of pain meds.

Hi anichols,

I’m sorry you’re having a rough post op start. I would contact the doctor to discuss the pain meds situation. One week of pain meds for ES surgery is not right. You should have been Rxed at least two weeks w/ the option for refills as needed. I would also address the fact that your insurance will not cover Rx meds that are prescribed by a medical resident so that doesn’t happen again. If the medication Rxed for 7 days isn’t working well, you can request Norco in it’s place.

Please be sure to use the mouth rinse as intraoral surgeries do have a higher rate of infection than those done externally because food & drink contact the wound area. Your tongue should regain sensation within a few days to a couple of weeks. Since your surgeon said he removed a good bit of your styloid, you may have a great outcome. Many of the doctors on our list do leave a bit of styloid behind to prevent damaging the facial nerve which exits the skull very close to the base of the styloid & their patients recover well from their ES symptoms.

Surgical recovery is a process & will take time. It was two months after my first surgery before I started feeling pretty normal again & up to 9 months before some of my symptoms finally went away. It will take patience. A positive mindset also helps though that’s harder to maintain when you’re in a lot of pain right after surgery.

Please keep us updated as to how your recovery progresses. I will pray for you. :bouquet:

1 Like

Thinking of you; I hope that you can get the prescription sorted for your pain meds, & that you heal well. Lots of ice, & keep propped up so it helps with the swelling. Have you got anyone to take care of you?
Sending you a gentle hug, & will be praying for you :hugs: :bouquet: :pray:

1 Like

Thank you both so much. I do agree that this was not enough pain medication. I got way more than this for my tonsillectomy and adenoid removal, and that was not as painful as this. I just called about it and they said to up my Tylenol and pretty much if I need more of the other to call back when I run out. I mentioned that the norco worked better for me in the hospital. I’m hoping they are not assuming I have drug problems. Just in pain ,and regular Tylenol doesn’t touch the pain. I get the idea to take one every 4 and one every 6 so that the pain doesn’t sneak up on you and you aren’t “drugging” yourself so to speak, with they oxy. I’m def hoping this helps me with the symptoms. I suppose time will tell. I have been gargling with that mouth wash after every time i eat, as that was what the doctor recommended. My main two concerns with Intraoral were infection and not enough being removed. I have to relax and remember that i just have surgery 2 days ago, and it may take a bit to see results.

2 Likes

My fiancé is home with me until Sunday :blush: I am propped up and have my humidifier going beside me. Have a large cup of ice as well. Thank you :hugs:

1 Like

That’s good! :grinning:

1 Like

So glad you have help. It sounds like you’re doing all the right things so now it’s just a matter of time for healing. This is a slow surgery from which to heal so it’s also a lesson in patience. Keep taking good care of yourself & listening to your body. That’s the best way to promote a quicker recovery. :bouquet:

1 Like

@anichols, How are you doing? I hope your pain has reduced & you’re feeling better now. Intraoral surgery can take a bit longer to heal than external at least in the throat area. I hope your medications & mouth rinse are doing their job. So glad your fiancé has been able to be there to help you!

Could you please tell us again who did your surgery? I forgot to make a note on the doctors’ list when you mentioned him before.

1 Like

Hi! Thank you for asking. I’m still in some pain and still have some tongue numbness, but other than that I am okay. I was able to get some more pain meds on Monday so that helped for sure. The Dr’s name is Dr. Stephen Hernandez. He’s located at our lady of the lake head and neck center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

1 Like

Your pain should begin to subside in the next week. It can be a very gradual process though. It does sound like you’re feeling a bit better. I’m glad for that!

1 Like

Hello , I hope your doing well ! I have an appointment with Dr. Hernandez this month … what is your overall experience with him and what procedure did u have done . Thx !

2 Likes

@Isaiah_40_31 I hope so. Lol. I hope this numbness will go away soon. I was eating earlier and bit my tongue :joy: thank you for your help and kind words. @Tim Dr. Hernandez is a very nice Dr. He decided to go the Intraoral approach with me to remove part of my styloid. He did not remove to the base of the skull. So far I notice a difference in not being able feel my styloid poking me in the back of the throat when I swallow food now. I believe i first saw him at the end of February for the first time. Then i went again for a check up in April. That is when he told me he would do the surgery if i wanted. He had tried me on some steroids in February, which didn’t help. Then he also put me on Carbamazepine, which Didnt help. I had been on steroids, antibiotics, gabapentin, etc before going to him. Had an upper gi, tonsillectomy, etc. So he said he felt i had exhausted all options and he was willing to do the surgery if I wanted it. So i agreed. This was at the end of April. He wanted to schedule for may 12th or 14th but i had stuff going on then so we did may 19th. So i Didn’t have to wait long at all. He is a good Dr. He will probably do a scope on you when you go so be prepared for that. He did one on me both times i went for appointments.

2 Likes

anichols,

Who did your first surgery? Was it someone from our Doctor’s list?

I’m sorry you bit your tongue. I imagine having a numb tongue is really annoying. Mine was half paralyzed by my first surgery, but I could feel it. Just the motor part of half my tongue didn’t work. Full function returned gradually between 6-9 mos post op. Hopefully the feeling will come back faster than that for you.

1 Like

As an FYI, I had tongue issues myself on the 2nd surgery. Made it hard to chew and move food around in my mouth. It seemed to linger for awhile but I think about week 8 it fully resolved.

1 Like