Intra oral surgery-who has had this who already had tonsils out previously?

@Isaiah_40_31 Dr. Stephen Hernandez did my surgery. I believe y’all just added him to the list when I mentioned him, but he was not on there prior. I was trying to see Dr. Nuss, but when I called in January they told me he was not doing it anymore and they referred me to Hernandez. Sorry about the delayed response. Also, half my tongue is numb and I have the same feeling you are describing. I can feel it, but it’s a little numb and the function is off. It’s only on the side i had surgery on. I’m glad to know it will come back. Just trying to be patient.

2 Likes

That’s exactly the issue I’m having. When i am chewing food it’s very hard to chew it. I can’t really tell what is going on. I think I’ve bitten my tongue like 4 times so far. Lol.

:rofl: Luckily mine was only partially numb on ride side (side I had surgery). I just couldnt push the food around in my mouth to chew and it impacted the foods I chose to eat. I remember at times having to put my fingers in my mouth to help it along. I also sounded like I was drunk half the time due to speech dysfunction. Slowly but surely the tongue defrosted but it was very small increments.

@anichols,

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I thought you said you’d had one side done externally already & this was your second surgery, but because the hospital that your first surgeon uses wouldn’t take your insurance, you had to see a new surgeon for surgery #2. I’m wondering who your first surgeon was - the one who did external surgery. Maybe I’m totally confused & this was your first surgery… :crazy_face:

As far as the tongue stuff goes, I had the same problems as you & Snapple are having. My speech was slurred/I sounded like I was drunk when I talked; if food got on the "paralyzed side, I’d have to use my finger, a spoon or fork to move it back to the good side. I eat A LOT of salad & had to give up salad for awhile or take an hour to eat a meal because salad was the WORST! w/ my tongue not working right. :joy: Good job being patient. It’s a gradual process, but your tongue will return to more normal. I made a couple of videos of tongue exercises you can do to help wake the nerves back up. I’ll send them to you by PM.

1 Like

This is my first surgery :grin: the other surgeon was going to do my surgery, but could not due to insurance issues. The hospital in my home town would not take it. He was going to do it externally. Dr. Hernandez wanted to go the Intraoral route instead. So i trusted him. He has done far more surgeries than Dr. Aull. Dr. Aull has only done one surgery. Granted, it went very well.

1 Like

Thank you for the videos! I really appreciate it :grin: i ate sushi the other day and that was the first time i bit it. Also having issues opening very wide because my jaw hurts, but I’m sure that is normal as well.

Yeah thats normal…limited jaw opening and pain. Glad you got to enjoy some sushi!

1 Like

Thank you for the info, @anichols. Now I have the story straight!! :wink:

1 Like

Hey Daisy , I am considering the intraoral surgery and I would love to have the opportunity to chat with you if you wouldn’t mind ? My symptoms are getting worse and I can’t find a doctor in my area that does External . My insurance doesn’t cover out of state . I’m old school and wanted to see if you could give me a call anytime . I’m sure you have valuable information that would be important for me to hear ! My name is Tim, I’m in Louisiana. Thx

I hope your doing well ! Can they see the styloid with the scope ? Why does Hernandez only do intraoral did he ever say ? How is your tongue doing ? Also if you ever feel like talking I would like to chat I’m sure you have valuable information . Tim

1 Like

Hi,
I am about a year past both surgeries, I am doing very well with no effects anymore.
I am from Alberta Canada so I’m not sure of any doctors or how the American medical system works!
My surgeries were very easy,both were day surgeries. Recovery took 2-3 weeks with each.

1 Like

@Tim hi! Thanks for asking. I’m still having some ear pain, jaw pain, and tongue numbness. Dr. Hernandez just said that he thought it was easier on the patient since he doesn’t have to dissect so many muscles. External requires more dissection. I am going back on the 7th for my check up. When is your appointment?

@tim he was not able to see mine with the scope. I think some you may be able to? The scope is also to see if there are other issues going on as well. He checks to make sure the vocal cords are working correctly, etc. If you have never had one, then you can probably ask for some numbing spray. It really isn’t too bad, just feel like you have to sneeze. It’s a little uncomfortable. I guess I’m used to it because I’ve probably had 6 or 7 scopes done between 3 different ents.

1 Like

Hi Diasy,

I’m newly diagnosed in Edmonton. Would you be willing to share with me your experience? Which surgeon did your surgeries? I’m glad they were easy recovery. Did you have confirmation with imaging or otherwise afterwards that the whole styloid was removed each time? Thanks for your inputs!

Tim, the main discussions can be read by anyone, so to protect your privacy I’ve removed your number & surname; if you click on member’s avatars it’ll come up with the option to send a private message, it’s best to share your phone number this way :wink:

Hello , Thanks for the reply:) My appointment in June 22 . My latest symptom is my tongue is starting to go numb on top left side . How long did it take for you to get diagnosed?

1 Like

I apologize for the super late response, time has flown by and this year has been crazy. It took me a little over a year to be diagnosed. I hope things are going well. Hope that Dr. Hernandez was able to help you.

1 Like

@Tim,

How are things going for you? Please update us when you have a few minutes. :blush:

@anichols, have most of your symptoms gone away after surgery with Dr. Hernandez?

No. Unfortunately they have not. I only notice a little less of a stabbing feeling in the back of my throat and some decreased facial pain. I’m having symptoms on my other side now as well. I was before, but they have gotten worse.