Intraoral post op

I had surgery yesterday and just wanted to get some feedback on best practices. Like diet and medications. I am having a hard time swallowing even water but have had popsicles and protein shakes. I am taking antibiotics and norco. I requested liquid medicine instead of pills because I had a good result from my tonsillectomy 12 years ago.

As in external surgery, sleeping w/ your head elevated to about 30º (wedge pillow w/ additional pillows on top - Bed Bath & Beyond sells wedge pillows) & icing (gel pack w/ a cover) the upper part of your neck 15 min on & 45 min off several times over the day will also help. You can also try sucking on ice chips. If ice doesn’t help, then try heat. Some people do better w/ heat. Stick closely w/ your pain med schedule even in the middle of the night will help. Since you had intraoral surgery, you’ll have a sore throat for several weeks.

If your swelling is too bad, you can request a prednisone Rx to help w/ swelling. Some doctors provide that post op but many don’t.

It will take a couple of months for you to feel “back to normal”. There may be some ups and downs w/ healing during that time. Listen to your body & take it easy for at least the first month post op.

Hoping you heal quickly & well!

Can’t think of anything else to add to that, but wish you well. Hope that you can soon start swallowing easier & find the ES symptoms going…Best wishes :bouquet::hugs: