Learning about options

@RickAZ ,

Please let us know the updates and outcome from your latest appointment with Dr. Nakaji. I’m also not feeling better after my first surgery with him and my inflammation is high… likely stalling my progress. Today he’s calling with the results of my post-surgery CTV. I’m 10 weeks post-op.

Does anyone have any pointers for effectively reducing inflammation?

Chris

1 Like

Hi Chris, the appears as expected, going to have an mrv soon to see what’s happening. Will know more after that.

1 Like

@rickaz,

Can you explain what you mean by “the appears as expected”?

What prompted you to get an mrv and who ordered it?

@Veganchrissy - I’m sorry your symptoms aren’t going away very quickly, You can continue with ice for a bit longer & gentle finger tip massage along the incision using Bio Oil, vitamin E oil, coconut oil or the like to prevent friction can be helpful. You can do this several times/day.

There’s also info on YouTube & our forum about soft tissue/myofascial massage to help reduce scar tissue.

It can take 3+ months post op to begin noticing improvement from vascular symptoms & many of our members who have bilateral compression didn’t get good overall symptoms resolution until they had their second IJV decompressed. Recovery does take time, patience & a positive mindset is also very helpful.

1 Like

Sorry, I meant the appointment went as expected, not sure how it got cut off like that. What I meant was that I expected imaging to be the next course of action, and that is indeed what’s next. The improvements post surgery are apparently pretty variable, some feel much better right away, some take lots of time to feel better, and some symptoms may not resolve. There’s no good way to predict. I appear to be in the middle, some improvement but not resolution. Imaging will help determine next steps. If it looks like surgery has completely opened the veins, then it’s probably wait and see, hopefully symptoms will continue to improve. If not, then consider balloon dilation or revision depending on what’s visible. (Most likely further studies before making a decision).

3 Likes

@rickaz, is Nakaji suggesting an MRV post-surgery?

Why this, as opposed to a CTV?

What did your post-op imaging show after your first surgery?

1 Like

Some members have had a course of steroids to reduce inflammation, I don’t know if that’s an option for you? What is going on for you with the inflammation?

Anti-inflammatory diets can help, but they’re difficult!

1 Like

I didn’t have post op imaging after first surgery because I was already planning the second surgery, doing post op imaging for both at the same time.

my understanding is that CTV is better/ more accurate than MRV, but MRV doesn’t have the radiation hit. Trying MRV first and if it shows something wrong then will probably need a CTV to understand better what’s wrong. But if MRV is clear will wait longer and consider CTV if symptoms don’t subside.

2 Likes

I’ve been on an anti inflammatory diet for years, haven’t considered steroids yet but maybe. Recent blood test had low normal inflammatory markers so getting some imaging seems like best approach.

2 Likes

@RickAZ - MRVs don’t have radiation, but the contrast used is gadolinium which is a heavy metal & some people suffer heavy metal toxicity reactions after receiving that contrast. There’s really not a winning situation w/ possible side effects from either a CT or MRI.

1 Like

@rickaz, thank you for the explanation. I hope you don’t mind all my questions. It’s just I’m trying to navigate this landscape and it’s tricky.
Who are you having order these scans?
Did Nakaji agree to decompress the second side without any post-op imaging?

1 Like

Sorry, that was aimed @Veganchrissy , I didn’t make that clear!

@RickAZ -

@callove posted a link about MRI contrast w/ an iron base vs gadolinium in MRI contrast risks / Gadolinium toxicity - #37 by Jules . You might want to talk to your doctor about requesting this vs gadolinium for your MRV.

1 Like

It’s supposed to be without contrast, but the order is held up with my insurance company at the moment so I’ll check it when it comes through.

3 Likes