List of my favourite resources on YouTube to learn anatomy

You find the most amazing videos about the body! Thank you for posting this one! It goes beyond “a picture is worth a thousand words”!

Now, can you name all those muscles?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

He probably can! :+1:

2 Likes

Jaw/hyoid movement.

jaw-hyoid

1 Like

Another AMAZING video!! Thank you!

Scapula mobility:

2 Likes

There’s so much good information out there. Thank you for filtering some of the best stuff out and sharing it with us, @vdm!

1 Like

E.g.

2 Likes

Some more bits of PT:

1 Like

Posture and body mechanics, lower body:

1 Like

Interesting intro to radiology, if you have a spare hour:

1 Like

This channel has a series of short videos on how to perform self-release on various muscles.

Content quality is OKish, but easy to navigate and follow.

E.g.

2 Likes

Neck muscles in detail:

https://pressbooks.bccampus.ca/advancedanatomy1sted/chapter/muscles/

2 Likes

WOW! Super detailed awesome reference information! Thx, @vdm!!

1 Like

The whole book is superb!

1 Like

I randomly came across this one:

I guess that might be one of the reasons it’s sometimes difficult to successfully stretch chronically shortened/tight muscle without learning how to deactivate that auto-guarding reflex

1 Like

It’s the “plastic” vs “elastic” response of muscles to stretching. When we stretch muscles, we’re using the “elastic” aspect of them but when they return to their usual length its the “plastic” or learned response. It’s thought that the plastic response can be changed through stretching & even through the shortening/lengthening exercise, but it takes persistence & can take a while for this to happen. I know you’ve experience the delay in muscular changes as you’ve worked on your neck & shoulders, @vdm.

1 Like

I’d guess the “stretch reflex” might be the one that in some cases prevents some chronically tight muscles from being stretched out, i.e. prevents from effectively using the “elastic” capability of the muscle tissue. That’s just a pure observation of bodies under anesthesia and other type of heavy influence, or when someone lost their consciousness - there is not much resistance from the muscles, as opposed to the times when the person is fully conscious.

I.e. like I wrote in one of the posts, Facial palsy with ES? - #11 by vdm

Perhaps that could possibly explain various effects, like chronically spasmed muscles being unable to properly relax because they (incorrectly) keep receiving signal to “react” (contract) as if there was stretching stimulus present, when it’s not… I don’t really know :slight_smile:

It just seems this “stretch reflex” is exactly about which I speculated without knowing its name, as per the article

If the brain wished to contract a muscle to a certain length, it commanded the small sense organs in the muscles to react as if they had been already stretched to the intended position. The result would be reflex contraction of the muscle in question, and this meant that the nervous system only needed to specify the end position of any movement. This was the first attempt to explain how the nervous system might achieve accurate control of movements.

2 Likes

Note: some of the exercises might not be suitable until the elongated styloid processes have been removed

1 Like

Visualisation of various muscles:

1 Like

That’s what moves your shoulder

…and how to work on it…

3 Likes