Made it through my left sided external styloidectomy!

1 Like

Pictures from 1hr-12hrs post-op
I was in surgery for much longer than anticipated
Between the combination of the complexity of the vascular involvement as well as the time it took my surgeon to carefully trace the branches of my facial nerves and to biopsy an abnormality on my oropharynx
my original surgery estimated time of 1.5-2 hours ended up taking 3 hrs and 42 minutes and obviously I came home with a drain
I am in a lot of pain right now but even still the constant feeling something being stuck in my throat has greatly improved on my left sideđŸ™ŒđŸ» Oh and here’s s picture of my left styloid that was removed!

Ouch!! Glad that your safely home, & hope that you’re able to rest- that drain looks huge! I had a smaller one, but found that uncomfortable & impossible to sleep with- hope yours comes out soon. Better than swelling & getting infections though I know

Good that you’ve already noticed an improvement in one symptom! Praying for you to heal swiftly! :bouquet: :hugs:

1 Like

It is really huge!!

Oh goodness D907
that is quite the incision! I’ve had a drain tube like that before
when I had my gallbladder removed (luschka ducts) - seems I’ve got an abundance of odd and rare issues!
Thank goodness you’ve got it over! Is this it or do you have bilat? Really appreciate you sharing your post-surgery with us - so helpful for everyone. Did your doc give you a time frame of what to expect for recovery? I’m always curious what the doc says comaired to what we all know from others here! The surgeon I visite with in OKC told me I would be back up and running in a week or two - IF it worked! His success rate is only 50%! Are you doing pain meds or is everything still pretty numb?

1 Like

YOWCH!! That is quite an incision & the drain looks like no fun! Good sized styloid, too! Different doctors make different sized incisions. As gnarly as your incision looks right now, it should flatten out nicely & virtually disappear w/ time. Mine was smaller & w/ no post op drain, but I was given prednisone to help control swelling. Hope the drain gets removed soon! Your pain will be at its worst this week then will gradually start to get better over the next couple of months. Hopefully you have someone to help you with your kiddo for a cpl of weeks!

Praying for a quick recovery for you!!

1 Like

Omg that looks sore I’m dreading the thought of surgery but at least I know what to expect hope you feel better soon x

1 Like

Not all surgical incisions are that long, it’s different for everyone . And lots of us feel the discomfort isn’t as bad as the pain from the styloids, or at least it’s worth it in the end!

1 Like

It was extremely uncomfortable and as you said absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to sleep with
I was told to stay at a minimum of a 45 degrees until the drain came out and so when I would start to doze off I would fall over a little and instinctively pull back and it would pull at the drain which pulled at my incision and into my stitches inside my throat :tired_face::sob::pleading_face: I’m not gonna lie the first 48 hours were absolute HELL because even worse was the inside of my throat from the excisional biopsy
today is Day 3
it’s 3:45 AM in Anchorage Alaska right now so a little more than 60 hours post-op
still not sleeping much because of the pain but they did take my drain yesterday afternoon so that helped
and I am starting to get better
the first three days after surgery are always hard I’m almost through the worst and I look forward to getting back my quality of life and be able to enjoy more time with my son it really sucks that I wasn’t able to take him trick or treating and my sister had to
 :broken_heart:
but Thanksgiving is right around the corner and I have a lot eating to make up for :fork_and_knife::corn::turkey::relaxed: I will check back in with you all tomorrow
Thank you for the support it is comforting to talk to other people who have been through and/or going through the same thing 
just knowing I’m not alone is comforting
Thank you all!:kissing_heart:

4-6 weeks with no strenuous activity or lifting over 5lbs/ bending over

You’re absolutely right! The pain from the styloids themselves is worse because it didn’t end and my biggest physical pain right now is from the huge chunk they took from my oropharynx and then being uncomfortable from the drain
but I can already see an improvement especially with the constant feeling of the fish bone in my throat
It will be well worth it!

Everyone’s surgery is different and honestly yes the drain is uncomfortable but the incision you see isn’t what’s causing me the most physical pain
I had a huge excisional biopsy of my oropharynx and the pain from that is the worst
Don’t worry this will be worth it
At least for me because I been living with such bad electrocuting pain in my face/neck/throat for years literally choking and gagging on food surviving of ensure and having mini strokes
I already am seeing improvements and most importantly my artery on my left side will no longer be compressed when I turn my head right
100% worth it!

I have it bilaterally
but this side was worse as far as symptoms go and next time I won’t be having an excisional biopsy of the inside of my neck at the same time lol
the right side is gonna be a cake walk!

1 Like

And yes I have liquid hydrocodone
And 4-6 weeks for full recovery as in lifting more than 5 lbs and anything strenuous
but I get my stitches out on the 6th which will be one week post-op and doctor said I should be doing all light activities by day ten
honestly I got my drain out yesterday and I think I’m ready to take my son to the movies this weekend
 I did things like cooked dinner for my son and threw some clothes in the washer and I have a small shopping list for this evening
so no exact date basically as tolerated but he really stressed the no heavy lifting and/or strenuous activity

D907 You are one tough cookie and a very inspiring one at that! I’m so sorry you were having such a hard time of it prior to the surgery. But knowing that you are so much better already has to help motivate you through this recovery! This too shall pass and you will get your life back - what a lucky young man to have a mommy like you! Just try to be really careful when approaching all those chores. I know it doesn’t seem like a lot to do a load of laundry but it really is. Those pain meds just tend to make you think it isn’t! :wink: Hope you don’t have long to wait for the NEGATIVE biopsy results so that stress can be lifted as well. Glad the drain is out, but you sound like my young self and maybe a bit hyper!!! LOL That drain might have helped keep you slowed down a bit. Best to your recovery
onward and upward.
I am curious about nerve numbness and such and would like to hear about those sorts of things when you feel well enough to post again. :rose:

1 Like

So glad you are on your way to recovery. I have external surgery set up this month on the 29th. How long did your stylohyoid process measure? Mine is 4.1 cm. I am nervous.

1 Like

Awe glad your wee bit better I’m dreading it to be honest but can’t wait to get it done as I’m choking all the time even on air my throat constricts and it’s so sore and oh my the headaches are awful iv lost 60% of hearing on left side x

1 Like

Yes, be careful with those jobs- I did a little bit of sweeping in the kitchen too soon & really felt it afterwards
 hope you keep seeing impreovements!