Nearing 10 months since surgery at UNC (Dr. Hackman)

I am closing in on the 10th month soon since my bilateral ES procedure at UNC with Dr. Hackman.

A few months ago I returned to Northwestern and had injections to alleviate the returning pain, coupled with starting a low dose amitriptyline at night. I am not sure what to point the success towards, but I have dropped to a 1 (pain scale) and sometimes I don’t even notice the discomfort anymore. I cannot describe how wonderful this is as I was 3500+ days of horrific pain (7 out of 10 on the pain scale requiring hospitalization, medicine, etc.). To now have days I don’t even think about ES is incredible!!

I have so much to be thankful for, and individuals to acknowledge for their hand in my healing. Regardless of the future, I am enjoying this moment right now!!!

There is hope - there is a path for all of you! I can’t wait to hear your success stories, even if it is only a day, week or a few months of decreased pain.

13 Likes

Love to hear this thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much for posting this update @JPB! Super encouraging to hear your good news, but I’m sorry you had so many months of post op pain!! Hooray for nerve pain meds that work!!

Thank you all!!! I hope it offers some encouragement to others!

1 Like

So pleased for you that things have turned around for you & that you’re having pain free days now! Thank you for the encouragement & for sharing this with others :+1:

1 Like

Wow! That’s amazing!!! I am nearing my surgery date and would love to pm or chat via phone if you’re open to it. My surgery is August 14th at UNC. Take care.

2 Likes

Hooray!!! I’m so happy for you! Gives hope for me and I suspect so many others. )))

2 Likes

Thank you, Jules!!!

1 Like

Of course, please feel free to reach out to me directly. I am happy to share more.

Thank you!

2 Likes

JPB, How wonderful to hear that you had success with the surgery! I too, am so lucky and blessed that my physician Dr. Krempl in OKC diagnosed me after 17 years of suffering with ES. The physician that did my surgery Dr. R. Layton Runkle in Norman, OK. was also a teaching Professor at the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine. He passed a few years ago but, I was so lucky that he did the surgery and I no longer have any issues or pain from ES.

I pray that more ES sufferers will find success with their surgeries. This is such wonderful news and yes, there is hope.

3 Likes

Thank you for the encouragement and supporting the group! I am thrilled that you no longer have pain and can enjoy that freedom. It was crazy having to deal with the constant voice in my head screaming about this phantom ES pain, all while smiling and staying focused on my healthcare venture so others wouldn’t know. Yuck - what a hard way to exist.

3 Likes

Please reach out privately if you still want to talk. All the best!

@JPB boy what great news to hear , I am so very glad that you have found peace and the pain has dropped to a 1 or 0.
What a long time to endure this
I am so very happy for you
Thank you for sharing your success :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you!!!

2 Likes