New and still trudging for anwers

I have been having a hard time getting g help from doctors. I see a dr recommended on this site in a few weeks. I took my CT scans and made them 3D. It seems the stylohyoid bone is maybe elongated on my left even though the severe pain is in my right. The oral surgeon does see a calcified ligament on my right. I also have a little bone that I can feel by my ear and see on my CT scan but I don’t even know anymore. I am uploading a few of my images to see if anyone has any input. I am starting a new job soon and am terrified I will not be able to function as the pain is relentless

IMG_0050
IMG_0042
IMG_0036

I did comment on your other thread, the CT images you’ve posted here show the calcified stylohyoid ligament really clearly, I couldn’t see it on your other post…You could send your scans to one of the doctors on here who do telephone appts, Dr Samji in CA does but isn’t as experienced with Vascular ES. As I mentioned in my other post, your IJV is distended, but worth looking into TOS as well. Dr Hepworth in CO would be a good idea to see if you are able to travel as he will look at the whole picture.
Have you tried nerve pain medications while you’re trying to get a diagnosis & treatment? There’s info about these in the Newbies Guide, and other suggestions for pain relief, here’s a link:
ES Information- Treatment: Pain Relief - Welcome / Newbies Guide to Eagle Syndrome - Living with Eagle
I hope that you can get some answers soon, and that you’re able to do your new job :hugs:

1 Like

Thank you soooo much for your opinion. I was taking gabapentin which doesn’t agree with me. I will check out the link you provided. I tried to get in with Dr. Chhentri at UCLA but he won’t take me without other ENT notes and I can’t get anyone to look at the actual part of my neck that hurts. Is there in anyone in CA that is vascular and eagles? Maybe I should see a vascular dr? I will see if either of the 2 doctors you mentioned will gave a virtual appointment with me. I feel so defeated. Thanks again for looking at those images :blush:

1 Like

Dr Ryan Osborne I think might be helpful, but it’s been mentioned in a few discussions recently that he doesn’t take insurance, so you’d need to check that out…
Eagle Syndrome Treatment | Styloidectomy Surgery for Symptoms
Otherwise Dr. Peter Nakaji, 755 East McDowell Rd., Phoenix, AZ, 602-521-3201, Works w/ vascular ES, has also done a research paper about shaving C1 process as well as styloidectomy
Find a Doctor | Banner Health
So might be worth a try!
I’m not sure about sending scans/ phone consults with them, or how easy it would be for you to travel there- I’m UK, so just can’t imagine the distances involved with US travel!

Did you have a styloidectomy? If s do you feel any better? I went to an orthopedic pain management doctor today to see if they could help with the pain. I knew it was a long-shot. They didn’t give me the time of day. They said it was probably my scapular muscles and I should get Botox.

stephanie,

Dr. Osborne would be a good option for you. He does video consults so you wouldn’t have to travel to see him, though he may not be too far away from you as his office isn’t super far from Dr. Chhetri’s.

Though I can’t be absolutely sure, the bone you see on the right sticking out of your lower jaw may actually be either part of your styloid (it would be a section broken off from the part attached to the skull base) or it could be a thickened, calcified section of your stylohyoid ligament. Because your right styloid is very thick, I’m guessing that thick piece has come off of your styloid. That, plus the calcified ligament, could definitely contribute to the symptoms you have. Unfortunately, I can’t see your hyoid bone in the images, but it can also cause symptoms if the greater horns are elongated.

1 Like

@Jules what part is the calcified ligament? I thought it was under my jaw but maybe it’s by my ear

On the first image the white line under the jaw, although looking again it could be the hyoid process :thinking:

1 Like

Well my new job offer was rescinded :disappointed_relieved: So I guess I will have more time to figure out this whole calcified ligament/ES thing. I hope Dr Yian who was mentioned on this site can help me. I see him on the 13th :crossed_fingers:

Oh no, I’m so sorry about that, i hope you’re okay financially, but at least it gives you the time to concentrate on getting yourself better :pray: :hugs:

2 Likes

As disappointing as having the new job offer rescinded is, you’ve found the silver lining. I’m glad you have more time to focus on your diagnosis and treatment, Stephanie!

1 Like

Thank you. Yes it might be for the best at the moment. Thank you for you kind words.

2 Likes

Thanks Jules. It will be tight but I believe it will all work out. Thank you for your kindness :blush::heart:

2 Likes