New Member bilateral styloidectomy success story!

Hi Hurting,

I like to pray for people on the site; obviously not everyone is Christian, but often people are comforted and encouraged to know that we're praying for them, thinking of them and encouraging them. I hope too that people aren't offended by this, in the same way that if people haven't had such good results from surgery that they wouldn't be upset when others come on singing the praises of possibly the same doctors they were treated by.

I totally agree with the above post, but I can totally see why it might be hard to imagine a loving God when in the middle of this pain- why would He allow this? (and all the other awful things going on in the world). I believe that what happens isn't God's will, but that He can use it for good. I have found my faith has grown as I've needed God so much, those Bible verses have encouraged me when I've been in pain, unable to sleep and anxious for the future. I've also become much more aware of how hard constant pain is to deal with, so am a much more compassionate person now, so although I wouldn't have wanted to go through this, I can see that I've grown from it.

Your questions are ones we've all probably considered- I've just read Philip Yancey's excellent book 'Reaching For The Invisible God'; he calls it 'the encyclopaedia of theological ignorance', that us, as time-bound people living on a rebellious planet, blind to the realities of an unseen world, haven't the ability to comprehend such answers. Faith is trusting God's goodness and love even when the apparent evidence is against it. Like you would trust a really good friend, if it appeared that they'd let you down, and look for other explanations.

We don't know why God doesn't answer prayers at times; why did he heal my Dad's cancer, when at 70 he'd had a good life, but not heal my friend's cancer, when she was only 41 and had young children? All I know is that Clare turned to God in her last days, after rejecting Him for many years, and died with a big smile on her face (according to her unbelieving husband). As Simon Peter said in John 6:68: 'Lord, to whom would we go?'. If not hope in Jesus, and a better life than this, what else is there?

I don't know how you're getting on with your ES, but I hope that you can get some help for your pain, whether that be a different medication or surgery. Whatever our religious beliefs, at least on here we all understand each others pain, and it's good to be able to rant, and to help each other.

1 Like

Hi Hurting,

I appreciate your comments and thank you for expressing your concern & opinions. I understand where you are coming from and apologize if I have offended anyone, as that was not my intent. I posted my story in hopes to encourage others and to give them hope, just as others on this site unknowingly encouraged me with their stories as I was suffering so much prior to surgery (before I became a member).

We are all different in what we believe, and I want this to be a safe place for all to open up. We are all on a journey and in a different place along that journey. I believe there is hope for each and every one of us. I encourage those of you who are in the middle of this painful trial to not give up. Hang onto hope and believe that tomorrow will be brighter than today. Know you are loved.

Hurting said:

I read back through a couple years of posts and there's lots of people who still have problems after dealing with eagle disease. Some people have pain for decades. Some people are worse after their surgeries. I had a relative who suffered for years and now we think she probably had eagles and was never diagnosed for it. Not all people get cured and I think it'd be hard for them to hear praise to God because now I'm cured or my bite symptom is better. I think it's good to praise God for getting healed and getting better, but maybe not on a forum where people are suffering bad and need someone to talk to about it and someone to hear how bad theyre suffering. I think it would make some people feel bad. I think it would be better to praise God to each other in emails.

Thanks for your nice responses.

Note: I initially had another sentence here about how I appreciated your trying to understand my point, but I deleted it because I thought it sounded snarky when I didn't mean it to. So I just noticed that I could still see that sentence on the home page, so I wanted to explain why I deleted it.

Hurting,

Thank you for your compassion for people's pain. You are very thoughtful, and I mean that.

For what it's worth, I have had surgery on one side & am having my second surgery on May 11 for the other. I still have pain after my first surgery and a tongue that doesn't work right. I don't know if these problems will be forever, but in spite of them, God is still a very big part of my life, & as Jules said, "Faith is trusting God's goodness and love even when the apparent evidence is against it." In a desire not to beat this subject to death, I will end with that thought. Just wanted you to know that even among the "praying" surgery does not always produce a perfect result.

Hurting said:

I read back through a couple years of posts and there's lots of people who still have problems after dealing with eagle disease. Some people have pain for decades. Some people are worse after their surgeries. I had a relative who suffered for years and now we think she probably had eagles and was never diagnosed for it. Not all people get cured and I think it'd be hard for them to hear praise to God because now I'm cured or my bite symptom is better. I think it's good to praise God for getting healed and getting better, but maybe not on a forum where people are suffering bad and need someone to talk to about it and someone to hear how bad theyre suffering. I think it would make some people feel bad. I think it would be better to praise God to each other in emails.

This is beautiful! Thank you for sharing! I’m having surgery tmrw and I am scared. I have had over 14 various surgeries in my life but this is the scariest. I too have had EBVP. It’s awful!!!

Wishing you all the best for tomorrow. It’s only natural to be feeling a bit scared. I wish you peace for tomorrow and a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted xx

Best wishes for tomorrow, will be praying for you…when you’re up to it let us know how you get on :pray: :hugs:

Thanks all!!!

I will pray, too, sixgunsue! Hoping for the best possible outcome & relief from symptoms significant enough to restore your health & lifestyle.

:heart: