Our stories are important. Will you share yours?

Our stories are important. Will you share yours?

Ben's Friends is made possible by generous donors who help pay for the costs of maintaining our network. They share with us, and we would like to share your story with them. Post what Ben's Friends has meant to you!

In your post, we'd love to hear a bit about your Ben's Friends story: how you were welcomed, what the support of your peers did for you, how Ben's Friends has made a difference in your life and your family's life, or how being here has changed how you cope with your rare disease. Or anything else you can think of!

It doesn’t have to be long. And if you’d rather share your story privately, send a PM to me, or to ModSupport (find them in the members section.) Would you rather do a video testimonial? Even better! Send a PM to ModSupport. They will tell you the easiest way to do one.

Your turn! What has Ben’s Friends meant to you?

I'll start off! I was diagnosed with ES by a junior doctor, and it was confirmed by a very sceptical consultant- all I was told was that it would be very painful, that the only thing to help was surgery, that they wouldn't consider operating because it was so risky! I found this site and it was amazing- to be able to be in touch with others who had this too, and most importantly to get advice. The first piece of advice I had was to try sleeping more upright to ease the pain at night- lack of sleep was making me feel so much worse, and that simple advice helped me so much!

Further down the road, and the pain did get worse, but the first consultant I saw still wouldn't operate. Plus I was getting very scary symptoms from vascular ES. Through this site and my own research I was able to work out what was happening, and find a doctor who would help. I would never have found out about Mr Axon at Cambridge, nor had the confidence to push to be referred to him if I'd not learnt what I had on here, and just having one side operated on so far has made a huge difference to my symptoms. And having people routing for me on here when I had my op, plus several other members going through it at the same time made it so much better.

So thank you Ben's Friends!

When I was first Diagnosed (almost 5 years ago) I had no clue where to go or what to do. A dr told me that I have ES and to google it as he didn't know much about it. He sent me to mayo ( I was so hopeful of this), I knew it was rare if I was going there but the Dr. there didn't think my symptoms were "bad" enough. IM not sure how he could possibly deem this as he, himself was not going through the every day struggles..... Shortly after all of that, we found out we were expecting.... I was so scared at the time as I knew I was going to be limited the meds to help me. Surprisingly, I had few. I had a dr tell me its because of the hormones. Well now here I am again trying to retrace my steps to get someone to do a ct scan so I could give it to a dr who hopefully will do the surgery.

If it wasnt for this forum and the amazing amount of people who showed me strength and that I wasn't alone, I don't know how this would have played out. The drs at one point had me believing it was in "my head" and that i should just be doped up all the time. On this site, Ive learned of other doctors and what has helped others. I am not alone and I don't feel as isolated about it. There is HOPE!! I will update my story as it folds out but until then, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for this site. For the people who have taken time out of their day to help answer questions regarding ES. To those who are working behind the scenes who continually make this site as strong as it is!

Thanks kcannady- hopefully you'll find a doctor to help soon.

In early summer of 2014, I started having pain in my neck. It felt similar to a pain I had experienced some years before when a cyst was growing in my thyroid. I poked around on my thyroid & felt nothing unusual so I poked farther afield and eventually found a hard bump under my chin where my neck & chin meet but closer to my left jaw joint. "AHA!" I thought, "I have a clogged salivary gland. " A trip to my primary care doctor "confirmed" my diagnosis, and away I went w/ an Rx for antibiotics. In the end, I decided not to take the antibiotics because the bump just didn't feel infected to me. Scroll forward a couple of months, & I had an appointment w/ another doctor. I pointed out the bump to her, and she said, "Hmmm. It feels calcified. I think you should see an ENT." So, I called my local ENT office and made an appointment. The ENT doctor I saw listened as I explained my symptoms, felt my bump and immediately said, "I think you have Eagle Syndrome - calcification of your stylohyoid ligament". To which I, of course, responded..."My WHAT?!?" He had an anatomical picture hanging on his wall which he used to show me what he was talking about. He told me I'd need to have a CT scan to confirm the diagnosis. I had the CT scan several days later & then my follow-up ENT appointment to discuss the CT results.

My ENT doctor was very excited to tell me I had an impressive case of bilateral ES. He also informed me the only treatment was surgery to shorten the styloid processes and remove the calcified ligaments. My mother-in-law insisted I get a second opinion and because I live in Silicon Valley, there are several doctors here that do ES surgery so I had options. I did get a second opinion and chose the second doctor to do my surgery because he had more experience and his surgical strategy made more sense to me than that of the diagnosing doctor.

After my diagnosis, I got online and started researching ES. In the course of my research, I came across the Ben's Friends Living with Eagle forum. What an incredible blessing it was to find other people who had been through/or were going through what I was going through and who could offer me information, encouragment, insight, prayers & sympathy & was also a place where I could offer these same things in return. I have made some wonderful eFriends on this site - people I would like to continue to stay in touch with for the long-term even though my own ES problems are now behind me. I am so thankful for this incredible and supportive forum. As kcannady said, "THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart..." for everyone who works so hard to keep this site up and running. It has made a positive difference in so many people's lives!!

I just spent a half hour typing my response for this and when I hit "save", the ES site lost it...Should have done it on a word processing document & saved it. Will try again later.

Jules said:

I'll start off! I was diagnosed with ES by a junior doctor, and it was confirmed by a very sceptical consultant- all I was told was that it would be very painful, that the only thing to help was surgery, that they wouldn't consider operating because it was so risky! I found this site and it was amazing- to be able to be in touch with others who had this too, and most importantly to get advice. The first piece of advice I had was to try sleeping more upright to ease the pain at night- lack of sleep was making me feel so much worse, and that simple advice helped me so much!

Further down the road, and the pain did get worse, but the first consultant I saw still wouldn't operate. Plus I was getting very scary symptoms from vascular ES. Through this site and my own research I was able to work out what was happening, and find a doctor who would help. I would never have found out about Mr Axon at Cambridge, nor had the confidence to push to be referred to him if I'd not learnt what I had on here, and just having one side operated on so far has made a huge difference to my symptoms. And having people routing for me on here when I had my op, plus several other members going through it at the same time made it so much better.

So thank you Ben's Friends!

Never mind! Looks like it didn't lose it after all!

Thanks Isaiah 40:31 for sharing your story!

About 1 year ago I started having pain and hearing problems in the left ear. It felt a bit like swimmers ear so, I set up an appointment with my HMO Primary Care Physician - PCP (took 3 weeks to get in to see.) At the exam Dr did not see an infection and gave me a hearing test that verified that I had lost about 50% of my hearing in my left ear. I was set up with an appointment with an ENT (took about 8 weeks to see.)

About a week before the appointment came up with the ENT the pain stopped and the hearing came back. The hearing test showed that I have lost about 10% of my hearing in my left ear. ENT did find nasal plops and prescribed nasal steroids. I was told to call if the pain and hearing problem came back.

About 10 days after my appointment the hearing loss came back and the pain was greater than before. I called and got back to see the same ENT a week later. A hearing test showed that I had a great deal of hearing loss in the left ear. ENT did not know what could be the cause. He set me up with an MRI test two weeks later and prescribed a 10 high (60mg) dosage of a steroid as he felt that it may be an auto-immune issue attacking the ear nerve.

It was a very hard 10 days during which the pain increased greatly to involve not only the ear by also very sharp pain and some swelling behind the left jaw radiating pain and a numb feeling into the neck and face. The pain got quite bad and I called the ENT office and get in to see the doctor who was not able to find anything new. I asked about the potential that it is an infection and he said there was no chance that it was that due to no fluid back up in the ear nor a high white blood count and, to wait to see what the MRI showed. I set up a follow up appointment about 4 week later.

The MRI test came back a couple days later with nothing found. The ENT didn’t find anything or prescribe anything for the pain and sent me on my way with “I’m sorry, you are losing your hearing and there is nothing we can do about it.” This Dr did not have the best of bedside manner, greatly eroding my confidence in him.

A few days later the pain became very scary so I went to my local Urgent Care. They felt that I was an infection and prescribed Amoxicillin. Over the 14 day course the pain ended and the hearing came back.

A week later the pain started to come back in my ear, jaw and neck. One night the pain in my jaw became extreme and involved also my left arm along with rapid heartbeats and pain in the chest. So, not knowing what was going on I went to the ER thinking maybe this was something with my heart. Fortunately tests showed no heart problem but did have a high heart beat and high blood pressure (which I have not had before.) I explained the pain in my neck and behind the left ear to the ER doctor who then diagnosed the issue as neuropathy and directed me to see my PCP to get to a neurologist.

My PCP started me on Gabapentin for the pain and set me up with an appointment to see the neurologist. And also advised me to check with my dentist to make sure it was not a tooth issue. My Dentist did not find anything but a reduction in saliva coming from my left salivary gland. He asked me to see an Oral surgeon to check to make sure I was not having problems with that. He found nothing

In the meantime I was going though testing by the neurologist. Just about every test possible was done over a four month period including another MRI of my full neck and a Lumbar Puncture. No problems was found.

The pain continued in my ear, jaw, and neck this entire time. I also had some bad side effects from the Gabapentin. The experience which is a whole another story I will not tell here.

I asked my PCP set me up to see a different ENT to get a second set of eyes on the problem. That is Dr KO at Henry Ford Hospital downtown Detroit. He ran hearing test and looked me over and said that maybe this is just TMJ but, he mentioned that there was some cross symptoms that I was having that could point to a rare occurrence being a calcification of the Styloid ligament. That it would take a CT with an injection of die solution to see, did I want to do that? Having gone through the ringer and been in pain for over last 8 months now, I said let’s do it.

I had the CT done at Henry Ford West Bloomfield. It came back with the report of significant ossification of the right and left styloid ligament. Also that there was no mass effect on adjacent structures. I had a conversation with Dr. Ko about it who prescribed some pain meds and set up follow up visit with him 2 weeks later.

In the visit he explained what the surgery would involve for this problem in detail, showed me my CT and talked about Eagle’s syndrome. At the end of his discussion he said that he felt that it was not a good idea that we go for a surgery just yet. He discussed this with his colleagues there at Henry Ford and his feeling is that we should watch this and manage the pain for a year and see if it gets worse or better. He referred me to the Pain Clinic with the instructions that If things get worst to contact him and if so, we would see what to do from there.

I had an appointment with the pain clinic 3 weeks ago and with the lead doctor and his intern. He explained that a very small percentage (about 4%) of the people that have the calcified ligament actually have trouble with it. The symptoms I have is also potentially trigeminal neuralgia. He prescribed Lyrica for the pain which, the insurance company has denied to cover as being just like Gabapentin that I had so much trouble with. So, back to the pain clinic again after Thanksgiving to see what else they can do.

It’s a long story and thank you if you made it all the way through. Right now my PCP has me taking Tramadol which seems to be doing the job of pain reduction fairly well. This month work had our new year’s sign up for insurance coverage. I’m boosting it to the higher level so that I have more options of doctors or facilities to see. My current only allows me to use only one health system and with this issue now I really need to have more flexibility.

Hope that the new insurance helps with your journey! Otherwise some members have had good results with steroid injections into the area to keep them going until they felt ready for surgery.

Hi! Do you mind sharing what the surgical strategy your second doctor recommended was? I'm considering surgery and want as much information as possible!!!

Thanks for sharing your story!

Stephanie

Isaiah 40:31 said:

In early summer of 2014, I started having pain in my neck. It felt similar to a pain I had experienced some years before when a cyst was growing in my thyroid. I poked around on my thyroid & felt nothing unusual so I poked farther afield and eventually found a hard bump under my chin where my neck & chin meet but closer to my left jaw joint. "AHA!" I thought, "I have a clogged salivary gland. " A trip to my primary care doctor "confirmed" my diagnosis, and away I went w/ an Rx for antibiotics. In the end, I decided not to take the antibiotics because the bump just didn't feel infected to me. Scroll forward a couple of months, & I had an appointment w/ another doctor. I pointed out the bump to her, and she said, "Hmmm. It feels calcified. I think you should see an ENT." So, I called my local ENT office and made an appointment. The ENT doctor I saw listened as I explained my symptoms, felt my bump and immediately said, "I think you have Eagle Syndrome - calcification of your stylohyoid ligament". To which I, of course, responded..."My WHAT?!?" He had an anatomical picture hanging on his wall which he used to show me what he was talking about. He told me I'd need to have a CT scan to confirm the diagnosis. I had the CT scan several days later & then my follow-up ENT appointment to discuss the CT results.

My ENT doctor was very excited to tell me I had an impressive case of bilateral ES. He also informed me the only treatment was surgery to shorten the styloid processes and remove the calcified ligaments. My mother-in-law insisted I get a second opinion and because I live in Silicon Valley, there are several doctors here that do ES surgery so I had options. I did get a second opinion and chose the second doctor to do my surgery because he had more experience and his surgical strategy made more sense to me than that of the diagnosing doctor.

After my diagnosis, I got online and started researching ES. In the course of my research, I came across the Ben's Friends Living with Eagle forum. What an incredible blessing it was to find other people who had been through/or were going through what I was going through and who could offer me information, encouragment, insight, prayers & sympathy & was also a place where I could offer these same things in return. I have made some wonderful eFriends on this site - people I would like to continue to stay in touch with for the long-term even though my own ES problems are now behind me. I am so thankful for this incredible and supportive forum. As kcannady said, "THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart..." for everyone who works so hard to keep this site up and running. It has made a positive difference in so many people's lives!!