Palmitoylethanolamide (PEA): A Natural Compound for Health Management - Has anyone experience with PEA already?

Hi friends,

Today I came across articles about PEA. Sounds like this could be worth a try as painkiller. I’m curious if anyone has already tried PEA on ES pain or intracranial hypertension?

4 Likes

Haven’t heard of this, but the other day came across LDN research which also might fit this topic thread.

4 Likes

I do not think that it is available yet. The article does not indicate that, and 4 of the 5 authors have conflict of interest. 3 work for the pharmaceutical company. The other one has a relationship with someone who works for the company. I usually look at the bottom near references to see where the article comes from. Not saying that this is not truly a good possibility. Just saying that it is probably not in our market or very close yet. Does not indicate any FDA approval, not even for hard up cases. LDN may be closer to market. FDA has approved it very marginally. Check out the uses and articles for Memantine. Some people like me are genetically unlikely to benefit, but it might help. Everything has side effects even cannibus products. Natural products often can be harmful to a few like me , even (Tumeric) curcumin OTC can cause bleeding for those who have had a bleeding ulcer before.
The pro to this article is that pharmaceutical companies are trending to testing natural remedies because so many people are refusing the chemicals and so many people are getting sicker because of bad chemicals in the air, diet and land. It is the beginning of a wake up call. We have a long way to go. People like us have voices now and support. Support groups in all areas of medical problems are speaking out against all the side effects, but we are only in the early stages.
I am getting a bit old, but since the pandemic, those younger than I are speaking out about MS, Fibromyalgia and the explosion of auto-immune diseases and Alzheimer’s, and much more. The research is exploding. I expect some really wonderful changes to come in many areas of health science that I pray will benefit my children and grandchildren.

4 Likes

@emma, Thank you for your post. I appreciate you sharing your heart & knowledge regarding chemical drugs & alternatives. I share your hopes for the future. :hugs:

1 Like

Hi emma,
Thank you for your opinion on this.
I googled PEA and it should be available like here in Germany at least over online ordering. It runs as a nutritional supplement, no pharmaceutical. Maybe thats why there is no FDA approval necessary?

I also saw the conflict of interests in this article but it also refers to a lot of articles where there is no conflict of interest. In an other article I read they tested Pregabalin with additional PEA and it worked better than Pregabalin alone…
As you rightly say, one should be careful and remain critical here, but the interest conflict does not immediately render the entire article unusable though.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I will look into it. Nutritional supplements are not regulated in the US. It might be available through a holistic doctor here. Sorry, I should have considered the worldwide view. Several years ago, I was a bit more worldly, and more thorough with my research. I have been fighting health battles for years and slowing down.
I do hope that we all find better choices and options going forward. That is important to us all. I am very grateful for this site, and all the contributions that have given us options from which to choose.

4 Likes

Sorry if I’m saying something idiotic, my vision is bad and I only scanned things. I wanted to say I have tried both PEA and LDN. I’m not entirely sure I have Eagle’s (my scans show something) so I’m not sure how helpful my info is. PEA I just bought off the internet, I think Amazon? It was really good for my brain inflammation and visions initially but also made my mcas worse (it’s supposed to make that better). If the LDN you’re talking about is low dose naltrexone I tried that too. It sort helped my vision but left me wiped out and having some breathing issues. I’ve heard it works wonders for other Lyme patients sometimes. I had to have it compounded at a compounding pharmacy. It is my understanding that naltrexone has been approved by fda for a long time, but to get it at the low dose you have to have it compounded which means insurance likely won’t pay for it. You still also need a doctor rx. One extra note of caution, if you try pea and have mcas or regular allergies, make sure you get it from a source you’re not allergic to. I have a vague memory a very common source is like peanut shells but I might be confusion it with luteolin.

2 Likes

@TheDude Thanks for sharing - you always find the most interesting studies!

1 Like

Great information, @Bailey! Thank you both for the warnings & the resources for obtaining these meds.

I’m sorry your symptoms aren’t allowing for a clear diagnosis that will help you move forward w/ recovery. A good strategy can be to treat what you know you have i.e. elongated styloids & see which symptoms go away. Often what’s left are the things not being caused by ES. I know your case is complicated, & surgery might be rougher for your body to recover from than for someone who has ES & is otherwise healthy. I expect making the decision of how to pursue your treatment is quite a challenge.