Please help - suspected Eagle's

Seamom, I will probably request a cd copy once I’m called in for an appointment. I have not received any letters yet, since the scan I’ve been on edge every day waiting for a sudden call from the hospital but there’s been no news. I assumed if they saw something urgent they would’ve contacted me by now? I’m too much of a wuss to call them myself haha! No news is good news right? I literally had a dream last night that I went to the doctor and they said my styloids were not elongated and they couldn’t see anything but the lump was still there and then all I did was think what now then? My anxiety’s creeping into dream world now apparently, which is fun I suppose!

I think if you are starting to have anxiety dreams then perhaps it is time to find out. Some people say, the waiting is killing them. Only you know the right course of action for you.

To be honest I’m pretty sure all the weird dreams are just a side effect from the medication I’m using so I’m not really that fussed, sure some mornings are a little rough but I usually manage to shake it off. I’ll just wait for the next appointment and hopefully the longer I wait the more likely it’s only something minor!

Hello again! MAJOR UPDATE on my case!

I went to my follow up appointment on Tuesday and I finally have answers - YES, I have elongated styloids!! You guys were absolutely right, and it only took me 7 months to get to the bottom of this! I was seen by a different doctor today, I need to call up the clinic and see if I can get his name. He actually knew what he was talking about! So, the bony lump I was feeling is the tip of my left styloid - this one is 3cm, with some ligament calcification as well. And apparently even though I can’t feel my right one, it’s 2.3cm, so does this count as bilateral elongation? Either way, the lovely doctor told me that trimming them is possible but because it’s invasive surgery he’s against it unless there’s major symptoms like fainting, massive pain etc. I only have mild symptoms from time to time so I said thank you I’ll avoid the scalpel! So grateful I could see a doctor that didn’t think I was mad this time! I still left the hospital at speed because my anxiety kicked right off haha

I cannot thank you guys enough for the information and support while trying to figure this out! Sometimes google does indeed help!

That is great news! In most circles, a styloid longer than 2.5 cm is considered ES but as is often pointed out, the angle at which the styloid is growing & its thickness both play in to the symptoms you may feel. A shorter styloid growing at a precarious angle or a very calcified stylohyoid ligament w/ a normal lenght styloid would still be ES. There are many variables. If your symptoms are tolerable then by all means wait on doing anything invasive. If at some point your symptoms get worse, you’ll know where to go for help. Based on our experience, full removal of the styloid & ligament is recommended as that seems to produce the best long-term result. Just having the styloid shortened can lead to other problems or lack of symptom reduction.

Really glad that you have an answer about the lump you can feel- hopefully it’ll help put your mind at rest a bit? It is great when a doctor believes you!
I second everything Isaiah says about the styloid length and operation…
Best wishes!

I didn’t see the right side of the ct scan but looking from the left side it looks like that styloid just grew in a straight line, I assume it has a bit of inwards rotation knowing I feel it behind my tonsil. I do get what you’re saying about variables. Well I suppose I am lucky enough that I do not have proper ES symptoms, I’ve read too many stories on here that involved surgery. My symptoms usually get way worse when I press on the styloid from the inside but my ocd has settled down a bit in that regard. I still get slight shooting pains in my ear from time to time but it’s nothing worth taking even the simplest of painkillers for. Well, hopefully if the bone decides to grow more, it doesn’t nudge anything imortant!

So bone removal is one thing…but can there be anything done about the calcification? And does anyone know why it happens in the first place? I’ve heard about joint calcification but this is a little bit different I suppose?

As far as we know there is nothing than can be done to “de-calcify” the ligaments or elongated styloids except removing them (which simply eliminates them). There has been much speculation about what causes ES - from heredity to head or neck injury to tonsillectomy, to thyroid problems, etc., but truly nothing definitive has surfaced as to the cause. There are people who still have their tonsils & who haven’t had head/neck/thyroid injury or problems who get ES, & there are people who’ve had the whole list who get it. The trigger remains a mystery.