Primary symptom:ear pain. Anyone?

I was diagnosed with glossopharyngeal neuralgia sometime in mid 2023.

My symptoms started in August of 2022. My primary symptom is and has always been ear pain. Deep throbbing pain in the ear that sometimes changes to burning that sometimes changes to raw soreness. I visited the emergency room, and ENT, a maxillofacial surgeon who took a panoramic scan of my bite, an ENT, an audiologist, an MS- specific neurologist and was finally transferred to a neurologist who believed me when I said I had geniculate neuralgia due to the primary and exclusive ear pain.

When I requested to see a neurosurgeon, the fiesta MRI showed a clear compression of the glossopharyngeal nerve coming out of the brain stem. This neurosurgeon was Dr. Brian Jian. Together with Dr. Ballough at Kaiser, Morse in Sacramento, he performed a microvascular decompression surgery on February 28th of this year.

I had a second surgery on April 1st to remove the bone plug and titanium plate over the hole in my skull which had become infected and I was on IV antibiotics through a PICC line for 6 weeks.

I still have significant ear pain. My symptoms do not appear to have abated very much since the surgery nearly 3 and 1/2 months ago. I had a follow up MRI done last week. Shows that the the obvious nerve compression has been resolved. I requested a CT scan for eagle syndrome and found that I do, in fact, have calcified ligaments and that they are significantly longer on one side than the other (25 mm, 12 mm) They are longer on my symptomatic side.

I discussed all of this with Dr. Jian earlier this week. We are challenged with deciding whether or not to treat what continues to be glossopharyngeal neuralgia from an arterial compression or to consider my symptoms part of an ES diagnosis. The reason that we are reluctant to consider it ES is that I don’t have any other symptoms except for ear pain. I have never had throat or swallowing issues. My jugular vein is not being compressed.

He is going to do more research and ask that I join this group to chat with other members and try and find experience or research papers that show whether or not ear pain can be an exclusive symptom of ES.

I am on 1800 mg of gabapentin and 1200 mg of oxcarbazepine daily.

In an effort to have a more clear path, I have decided to begin titrating my medications to bring my symptoms to the surface so that they are more obvious. We hope that this will help us determine a more clear diagnosis.

I have CT scans available that I will need to somehow download from Kaiser or request on a CD? I understand that I can somehow convert them to 3D images that this group can use to help me get more information.

I would be so grateful for any and all comments and questions. Thank you very much.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry that you have been through MVD surgery with no relief of the pain, especially with the infection too…I presume that if you’re now exploring ES with Dr Jian that he feels you should have improved by now, although I would say that some members with nerve pain have seen improvements over a year after surgery, so your surgery wasn’t that long ago and having had complications maybe there still could be an improvement?
I didn’t ever have throat pain or trouble swallowing, the more well-known ES symptoms; I had TN and pain turning my head, & ear pain at times, so ES doesn’t always cause the throat pain. Unfortunately it’s not easy to tell if ES is the cause without having surgery; it’s not a good diagnostic tool but some members have been able to feel their styloids at the back of the mouth, around where the tonsils are, or under the jaw line, & pressing on them can flare symptoms up, so maybe you could have a poke about & see if that causes any GN twinges?
There are some research articles about GN being caused by ES, here’s a link to one although I can’t view the whole article:
The glossopharyngeal nerve, glossopharyngeal neuralgia and the Eagle’s syndrome–current concepts and management - PubMed (nih.gov)
There are links to other ones from this article too which might be useful…
We have had another couple of members who have had MVDs as well, here’s a link to @1speechpick 's discussion, maybe you could message her (click on her avatar to send a private message)
Update after MVD - General - Living with Eagle
I hope that you can work with Dr Jian to find treatment which helps, he sounds like a thorough and kind doctor!

3 Likes

I typed a response once but it didn’t seem to post. My apologies if it posts twice. @EmilySyndrome, I’m so sorry for what you’re going through. @Jules, is correct. I had MVD surgery for trigeminal neuralgia, glossopharyngeal neuralgia, vagus nerve compressions, and accessory nerve compression. I suffered very significant post-op complications (I haven’t updated the group in a while). I have very short styloids so I do not have any experience with ES surgery. I sure hope you find answers that will help your pain. We are all here for you! This is a fantastic group!

2 Likes

Hi @1speechpick! Thank you for replying. Your other reply did post. It’s on a different topic though - https://forum.livingwitheagle.org but it was in the right place, too, as @EmilySyndrome had started a couple of different topics so you answered in each one.

I hope & pray you’re doing much better now. I remember how awful things were for you after your MVD surgery. We look forward to your update when you feel up to posting it. :hugs:

2 Likes

Hi @Isaiah_40_31! Thanks for letting me know where I posted the other reply. I’ve definitely been on tons of twists and turns. The good news is things have improved. I will start a new thread with an update soon. I hope you’re well.

2 Likes

I’m glad there’s been some improvement, and look forward to hearing your update :hugs:

2 Likes