Question about work accommodations

I am newly diagnosed with ES, just last week. I have a very stressful job and am wondering if any of your doctors recommended any work accommodations? I am off til January right now for a research leave and the holidays. I have noticed that computer work for long stretches worsens the neck pain, but it’s improved a lot with a sit/stand desk (which I got for a lower back injury). Any advice appreciated! Maybe this is something to talk to my family doctor/GP about?

1 Like

Computer work does seem to affect alot of us, I found it really hard, but then my posture is poor! Good that you have a desk which helps, I would make sure when you are sitting that you do pay attention to your posture if you don’t already.
I don’t know about any work accommodations, whether your employer would allow you extra breaks or anything? I don’t know what the health care system is in Canada, but maybe you could get a referral to a physiotherapist who might have ideas, or an Occupational Therapist?

1 Like

One thing I’ve found that has helped me a lot is to raise my computer screen up to eye level so I don’t have to look down when doing work on my computer. My laptop sits on top of a pile of books (primitive but effective) so I use a bluetooth keyboard & mouse/track pad. If you haven’t tried this approach, it would be worthwhile.


Hi, I think an occupational therapist is a good idea. I was told to touch type & learn to use fast keys to avoid looking down at keyboard. There are lots of iT solutions fir disabled so worth seeing if can help. Agree screen height important, moving sit stand desk & right chair can help. We aren’t designed to sit still so take regular breaks with gentle walks/ movements. In Europe law requires employers to make suitable adaptations for disabled employees. Not sure if similar laws where you are but worth checking. D


Adaptations for disabled employees are also a legal obligation for companies in the U.S.

1 Like

Yes, it is a legal obligation pursuant to the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission).

" According to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), when an individual decides to request an accommodation, the individual or their representative must let the employer know that they need an adjustment or change at work for a reason related to a medical condition.

You may make this request initially to whomever you are most comfortable with. Make your request in writing and use the phrase: “I am requesting a reasonable accommodation under the ADA.” This helps create a clear record of your request and helps your employer know that your request should be taken seriously.

Do everything in writing. I am assuming your job possibly has disability insurance? If so, perhaps talk to your HR department person in charge of disability. You sometimes can take “partial” disability ie: work part-time and work reduced schedule. There would be a form that your doctor could sign that outlines your limitations.

In my case, the state I live in has paid family medical leave. My surgery was during the start of COVID and work was getting hostile. This didn’t help my stress and pain levels. I ended up bypassing the disability HR people and just filed for paid family medical leave (12 weeks) with the state. They had a doctors form which surgeon signed and I submitted. It was a slam dunk for me. I bypassed the HR department by doing this.


If you are in Canada, there is likely something similar that protects workers from discrimination.

1 Like