Respiratory symptoms

Hi everyone,

A poll done on here showed that 15% of people with Eagle's Syndrome reported having some respiratory symptoms. I was wondering if people could describe exactly what breathing problems they have or had. I've been getting a bunch of weird things happening with my breathing in the last 4-5 months and maybe some are due to underlying asthma. Trying to figure out whether to pursue separate investigations or wait until I discuss the possibility of surgery at my ENT appoint in 6 weeks time.

Thanks,

Mark

my resp sx are related to underlying thyroid dis/cancer, got dxd Xmas eve. Wokring up with new docs in PA, when I get more info will relay. Happy New Year Ine & All!

Hi! I only have one elongated styloid on my right side. I have breathing problems through my right nostrel only. It is supposed that inflammation due to eagles causes this. Before they confirmed Eagles, it was diagnosed as a deviated septum, it is no longer. The problem is significant, I take a nasal steroid, in that nostral only, to keep my breathing strong. It is strange.

Hard to say for me, I have a badly deviated septum, cold weather asthma diagnosis (when I was a kid), I get some congestion and post nasal drip issues , occasional coughing. Smoking never helps lol

you can STILL have deviated septum, ever look up directly into your own nose? The middle/center usually veers considerably even to the untrained eye. I knew I had an issue when I could see what looked like a huge pinky finger poking out right nostril. Septoplasty turbinectomy didn't help, chronic infection and Igg issues are ecacerbating also. Lyme is the icing on the cake and this woman's pushing away from the table...I've had enough. Someone better come down to brass tacks, stand up like the Docs we look up to and help this damn spasming...sorry it's New Years' and I am off on a tangent-no NOT drinking now...just feeling miserable...

the nasal steroid might thin out your nasal tissue FYI, look up other methods; wouldn't want you to exacerbate your situation either!

Cat

linnaea said:

Hi! I only have one elongated styloid on my right side. I have breathing problems through my right nostrel only. It is supposed that inflammation due to eagles causes this. Before they confirmed Eagles, it was diagnosed as a deviated septum, it is no longer. The problem is significant, I take a nasal steroid, in that nostral only, to keep my breathing strong. It is strange.

Lively, Unless you want to live up (or die down to oyur name) , you have to quit the stinky butts. I managed to quit a massive smoking habit back in 2003, coming up on 11 years in Feb! If you would like all the help on how I did it, pretty much drug-free except for th einitial 2 weeks of Wellbutrin, let me know. Truthfully, we can't be this sick and continue to put poisons into our bodies.

Most of what you have w/ exception to deviated septum, will likely go away once you do! I NEVER thoguht I could do it and tried that New Years' but it took me an additional 32 days 02/03/03 is my quit date!

PS did parents smoke (@cold weather asthma dx as a kid?)

Cat

LivelyCadaver said:

Hard to say for me, I have a badly deviated septum, cold weather asthma diagnosis (when I was a kid), I get some congestion and post nasal drip issues , occasional coughing. Smoking never helps lol

I had a couple of breathing problems. For one, they found a cyst (sorry, I totally forgot its name) in my sinus. They said that they usually don't cause much trouble, and they kind of ignored it. I think it was probably caused by my eagle syndrome, and it seemed like it made it harder to breathe.

I also had a sensation that there wasn't enough oxygen in the air. The great pulmonologist that I saw thought it was caused by an impinged nerve sending a false message. I think he was right. After surgery, that sensation went away and never came back.

1 Like

Was it a Thornwaldt’s cyst? It is was, I recently had an MRI that also showed on of these. Would be quite a coincidence if it wasn’t caused by Eagle’s. As you say they are usually asypmtomatic. I do have a blocked nostril most of the time and wonder if this is causing it. I also feel like I need to breathe extra deep and hard sometimes. It can come of quite abruptly, like a bronchospasm, particularly when lying down. I’m glad yours went away after the surgery.

Thanks for being concerned Cat, I need some occasional mothering (no sarcasm intended, I really do lol). My parents never smoked, my dad occasionally smokes cigars but very occasional. I only lived in Kentucky when I was a kid so the winters were not cold; However, I played soccer and I always seemed to have a harder time breathing while running than the other kids (in cold weather), felt like I constantly had plghem (spelling?) in the back of my throat, but hey that could be because of severely deviated septum and post nasal drip combined with the physical exertion soccer requires. I just bought a blu ecig to start quitting, I know it seems counter productive but I have put down things in my life that were far more devastating than cigs. However they are my last real crutch lol

I for some reason started smoking after my mom passed at the age of 52, suddenly from bile duct and liver cancer. She never drank more than a glass or two of wine a week, never smoked, never used drugs. She was a head ICU nurse at Jewish Hospital in Louisville,ky for 10 years.... People who get bile duct cancer generally are Asian men 65+ with a history of IV drug use.... I'm not saying smoking doesn't put me at a higher risk to live up to my name than not smoking would, but In a lot of ways the length of one's life is a roll of the dice. I do intend to quit sooner than later, thanks!
Cat said:

Lively, Unless you want to live up (or die down to oyur name) , you have to quit the stinky butts. I managed to quit a massive smoking habit back in 2003, coming up on 11 years in Feb! If you would like all the help on how I did it, pretty much drug-free except for th einitial 2 weeks of Wellbutrin, let me know. Truthfully, we can't be this sick and continue to put poisons into our bodies.

Most of what you have w/ exception to deviated septum, will likely go away once you do! I NEVER thoguht I could do it and tried that New Years' but it took me an additional 32 days 02/03/03 is my quit date!

PS did parents smoke (@cold weather asthma dx as a kid?)

Cat

LivelyCadaver said:

Seems Thornwaldt's cysts are congenital (born w/ them) altho I did do search seeing if related to NSF as well (MRI's contrast Gadolinium MAY casue NSF-I was dxd as having Systemic Sclerosis via bloodwork OH BUT IT ISN"T HIGH ENUF-same as with :YME< OH but oyu don;t have quite enuf bands...leading oto overruse of MRI contrast then trying to diagnoe hte next problem and so on & so on down the line...yet the docs are stopping short of dxing my Lyme, my SS, my Eagle's, my henmifacial spasming that I believe is cauesd form vein & nerve criss-crossing, BECAUSE I can MAKE IT STOP thereby giving myself the much needed pain relief, alit while lying down, I need someone with enif cajones to go in make the release and relieve me of pain FOREVER!

See this link for recent info on MRI contrast IT IS DEADLY and i for one won't allow it in my body EVER AGAIN!-NO I am not telling everyone NOT to get tests only to inform yourselves so you can make the right decision for you...FYI I am 6 yrs POST LAST MRI with contrast, I have HIGH amounts of Gadolinium in urine and some in blood,with INCREASING results, first test was lower than the last tesst!!! so it is accumulating into my bones and OH it sit so painful! I have a systemic fibrosis results as well...you do the math! when the docs FAIL to diagnose a case of Non-nephrogenic systemic fibrosisbecuae "it doesn't happen in those with NO KID DIS" then it's an FTD issue (Failure to DX) altho the patient (me) has been squealing about it long and hard, that is when they will squirm upon a wooden chair in Court, all...day...long...til I get to question them! http://www.auntminnie.com/index.aspx?sec=prtf&sub=def&pag=dis&itemId=106037&printpage=true&fsec=sup&fsub=mri

aussie77 said:

Was it a Thornwaldt's cyst? It is was, I recently had an MRI that also showed on of these. Would be quite a coincidence if it wasn't caused by Eagle's. As you say they are usually asypmtomatic. I do have a blocked nostril most of the time and wonder if this is causing it. I also feel like I need to breathe extra deep and hard sometimes. It can come of quite abruptly, like a bronchospasm, particularly when lying down. I'm glad yours went away after the surgery.

Eagleheart, for me sensation of not enough air has been desribed buy others as "air hunger" IMO Fibrosis of Lungs may cause this. I have SS, dx via blood tests, my heart stress test=abnormal yet told "it's false positive" my NUKE stress test, same thing...how can one have an abnormal test then be told, "FALSE POSITIVE" that is like taking a pee test being pregnant and be told..false positive when actually preggers!

Ever have pneumonia? (me-6 x since a pneumovax...) you do the math, I was never really sick til they started shoving all sorts of drugs into me to dx certain issues, like myoclonus which probably is coengenital as I test positive for Glycine in blood and that is a Glycogen storage disease...and the plot thickens. WHy i couldn;t jus tgo to one doc tell tehm my sx and have them figure it out BEFORE I was posioned with 3 toxicites...I have barium stuck in bowel sicne '08, I have HIgh Gadolinium in urine and some in blood and I have Fluoroquinolones causing tendon issues and PN amongst all other sx...and Dr Rosen at Jefefrson won't even discuss the Gadolinium with me and tells me he'd give his Posion Levaquin to family members...maybe he has their insurance premiums paid up ; > ) Just got off the [hone with their Risk Mgmt team and told them they better help me, tired of them losing tissue samples losing slides I gave them form outside facilities and basically neglecting to find root cuases of the head spasming, pain swallowiing etc sx., did they actually STUDY the body and EARN their MD's or did they BUY their right to PRESCRIBE poisons, thus making us sicker and making themselves an economical windfall of the revolving door variety?!

PS I can actually touhc the ever receding bridge of my nose with my finger and causce my blood flow to recede down leg and this can be FELT/PALPATED by docs. You can see by the throat pic that the tissue in the back is becoming thickened and ropy hence what youc an see overrlies waht you can't (the artereis and evins etc that intertwine within the base of the skull and holding all the cranial nerves pertinent to keeping a healthy jaw-seems NONE Of us have this area working right! no one can figure out why ad I know it's the arteries that are shriveling up because I can feel them inside and so can they. I had one dr a vascualr surgeon ask me up in MA, "what type of surgery did they do to your calves?" because the shape of my calf is so flattened that it looks as if it were sheared with a saw, but how would this same vascular surgeon NOT NOT that there were no surgical scars??? BECAUSE the shearing took place and continues to do so becaue blood flow is there but being impeded thru atrophic tissue/veins/arteries ligaments courtesy of Gadolinium & FQ's and NO ONE will admit this causal relationship until my cold dead body lies upon the autopsy table, devoid of all my blood that my husband is under strict instructions to send to a few labs to get at THE TRUTH! I've even sent letter to the local coroner!

NIEO Nothing In Everything OUT, (inject/insert, nothing into teh body but take out blood, urine, hair nails, demral biopsies if need be, until they figure out what it IS we DO HAVE. but NEVER MAKE US SICKER!

Cathy

eagleheart said:

I had a couple of breathing problems. For one, they found a cyst (sorry, I totally forgot its name) in my sinus. They said that they usually don't cause much trouble, and they kind of ignored it. I think it was probably caused by my eagle syndrome, and it seemed like it made it harder to breathe.

I also had a sensation that there wasn't enough oxygen in the air. The great pulmonologist that I saw thought it was caused by an impinged nerve sending a false message. I think he was right. After surgery, that sensation went away and never came back.

423-IMG_1426.jpg (1.78 MB) 424-IMG_1116.JPG (1.54 MB) 425-IMG_0023.jpg (1.13 MB)
1 Like

Cat, I am so sorry that you're going through such torment with the medical system. I remember feeling the same way (although I definitely went through less). It just seems like when we're spending tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars for their services, we should be able to expect more. I hope things improve for you very quickly.

Eagleheart, Thanks so much! I don't post to get sympathy or empathy though, I post to WARN others, just when we thoguht it was SAFE to go into the water....It's also time to hold the docs & the insurance companies accountable, becuase it is that combo that is stopping us from getting diagnoses and proper treatment.what they can do for cheap up front (denying antibiotics for Lyme for instance, in the end is costing them so dearly..I refuse to give up until I get some answers & treatment! ON MY TERMS ie: BCBS is going to pay for everythign, I refuse to go outside my insurance for care) I don't want anyone to suffer and go broke doing what they would have to anyway, find health & happiness!

Here's to a better 2014!
Cathy