Right side removal

Hi everyone, I know I haven’t posted
Much since my left side styloid removal but I have been reading all the posts. So much great info! My symptoms pretty much went away for about 7 weeks and I felt great even though I elected to leave the right side alone. It measured 4.7 cm. Then on my up to Vermont for vacation I turned my head really hard right and my dizziness slowly returned forcing me to have the right side removed. I had the surgery on November 17 and this time not so lucky like you warned. I’m still dizzy. I have zero pain and I am not taking any medication at all. I’m just hoping when the swelling goes down in my neck I will feel better. Dr Kahled did a fantastic job again as I can almost shave right over the incision. I will try to keep you posted as time goes on but work is really busy especially with shut down coming. As you may remember, I maintain and repair the machines where I work. We make plastic for surgical trays and Boeing airplanes. Thanks for everything
Tommyh

1 Like

Good that you’re not in any pain, it’s still early days yet though, so hopefully the dizziness will improve soon! I hope that you’re not too busy with work, it’s quite soon to be doing much & might set your healing back a bit?
Take care, & hope you improve soon :hugs: :pray:

1 Like

I’m sorry you needed a second styloidectomy @Tommyh, but as you noted, we’ve seen, in bilateral cases, that happens more often than not.

I agree w/ @Jules that you’re still in very early recovery. Hopefully your dizziness will begin disappearing over the next few weeks as your post op swelling goes away. I also agree that going back to work full time so soon after surgery is probably not the best decision especially since it’s manual labor & possibly involves some heavy lifting. I do understand there is a time constraint for you w/ the year end shut down coming. Just take it as easy as possible. Keep ice packs at work if possible & take a few min. to ice your neck several times during the work day.

1 Like

I agree with going back to work so quickly. I understand the issues with time off and money, but this is something you have to be careful with. It can take a long time to heal. Rushing, can cost you more in the long run. I remember Dr. Khalid well…. Happy healing!!!

2 Likes

Thanks for getting back to me. Did I mention I was back to work, probably, but I’m not. I am going to take the three weeks off like the last time. Sorry if I wrote it that way. I am horrible with computers. Anyways, I am healing well, black eye is almost gone and I’m about ready to shave over the incision. It’s amazing what they did at Hartford hospital. Dizziness is still there a bit but I have no pain what so ever. You guys are awesome and I promise to keep reading and let you know how things turn out for me. It’s so great to share information and experiences. Thank you.
Tommy
P.S. I know my crew is missing me :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification, @Tommyh. I’m glad you’re giving your body time to heal. I bet your crew is missing you! It sounds like you love your job & have a good group of people to work with. What a blessing for you! I hope you continue to heal quickly & well so you can put all things ES behind you. :blush:

1 Like

Hi everyone, just want to give an update on my recovery. I am nine weeks post right side removal and I am still lightheaded and dizzy. I have started what I believe is called Vestibular therapy to help with this. I have been reading all the posts from others and can’t believe the trouble it gives us. I will give another update to let you know if this helps me or not. I’m not sure if anyone else tried this therapy. Anyways, my fingers are crossed for not only me but everyone else dealing with this.
Thanks for everything.

2 Likes

I’m sorry you’ve still got the dizzy, light-headed symptoms. Please let us know how you do with the vestibular therapy. I really hope it makes a big difference for you!

I’ve forgotten, did you have both styloids removed or only one?

I had the left side removed last May and the right side in November.

1 Like

I think maybe it was @ramblinman who first posted about it, I think it helped but he’s not been on for a while. I’m sure another member posted some links to YouTube videos about it as well. I hope that it helps you :pray:

1 Like

So you’re well into recovery @Tommyh. There’s still some healing to be done from your Nov. surgery but I as I said, I hope the vestibular therapy makes a BIG difference in how you’re feeling. :hugs:

1 Like