Seeing surgeon tomorrow

I'm new to this forum through a weird coincidence. My usual ENT saw me a couple months ago because of a parotid gland infection (stones), and he decided to order a CT scan. It turned out my parotid glands were fine except for the stones. The surprise was that I have Eagles - ossified styloid ligaments on both sides. This explains a lot - since my 30's I've had jaw pain and limited mouth opening. More recent years brought neck pain up into my ears, stiff neck and shoulders, and worsening tinnitus.

The doctor told me my treatment choices were medications or surgery. I've been on Nsaids, anticonvulsants and muscle relaxers for RA and neuropathy for several years. It's really not helping the ES issue. Tomorrow I see the only associate in the ENT practice who does ES surgery. He may not think my condition warrants that measure, we'll see. I'm not anxious to do it. However, I'm age 61 now, and surgery will only be more risk the older I get.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Daisy

Hi Daisy,

Surgery is really the only way to cure Eagles. I've had 4 Eagles surgeries in the last 4 years and I'm 63. In my opinion, the surgeries are not that bad to recover from at all. I was out of work for about 2 weeks for 3 of the surgeries. The surgeries are much less painful than having Eagles. If you think you can stand the pain for the rest of your life, then you may want to not have the surgery. I was in such bad pain that I couldn't imagine NOT having the surgery. It's pretty important to get a doctor who has had experience and who believes in taking out as much of the styloid as possible. I think the main reason people have problems after surgery is that the doctor didn't get enough of the styloid out.

I have been diagnosed with Eagles syndrome but should have been referred to ENT when i saw my gp he refused to send me and just shrugged it off, i am really suffering with lots of awful symptoms, i have complained to the surgery practice manager and i am waiting now for a response,

I just wish i could get referred to a ENT surgeon who could operate and make things a little better for me.

karen