Something to think about

I had something unusual happen today. About a month ago I consulted with Dr. Richard Gillespie in North Carolina about the possibility of Eagle’s. At that appointment we agreed I would get a neck CT and go from there and we were still thinking ES was a distinct possibility. Of course, I got the neck CT then had consultations in my geographical area and was diagnosed with HBS.

Oddly enough, Dr. Gillepsie’s office called me today. The medical assistant said Dr. Gillespie wanted to reach out, check on me, and see if I had found out anything. How refreshing!!! They actually wanted to know how I was doing. I shared the updates of the HBS diagnosis. The medical assistant took my information, wanted to talk to Dr. Gillespie, and said she’d call me back. Awhile later she called me back and said Dr. Gillespie wants to review my scans but would likely be willing to do my hyoid bone surgery. I was shocked as I thought he would only do Eagle’s. I don’t think he has a ton of experience with hyoid surgery so not sure how I feel about that. But I do really think he and his office care about their patients. That is so refreshing!

4 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing this! It is refreshing & basically unheard of in this day & age!

Assuming Dr. Gillespie is an experienced ENT skull-based surgeon, he will be familiar w/ the hyoid bone “territory” & should be able to do the surgery you need successfully. I suggest you talk to Dr. DeSilva about whether or not he can do the surgery, & if so, find out what the procedure would entail then get a second opinion from Dr. Gillespie. They may have totally different approaches to the hyoid surgery, & one may make more sense to you than the other. That was my experience w/ ES - two doctors - both diagnosed me w/ ES, but each had a different surgical approach.

1 Like

That’s lovely to hear! Like you say, very refreshing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: As Isaiah says, not a bad idea to get a second opinion…

2 Likes