Struggling mentally

I’m really starting to struggle with sleeping. The pressure in my head and neck discomfort is increasing. Not sure why I’m getting back pain as well. Two kinds of Tinnitus I endure with and it’s so hard falling asleep at times. I use a noise generator on my phone and put under my pillow. I take my hearing aids out at night, so the Tinnitus is so much louder. Last night as I was falling asleep, I was woken up with a loud noise, like a gunshot going off in my head. I violently woke up and was so scared. I cry myself to sleep every night. Some of these symptoms are just scary and exhausting. I’m so tired of this. I’m struggling physically and mentally. I know you can all relate. Just venting to people who get it.

4 Likes

I had this loud bang too it happened when I was really tense. Also the tinnitus and the low level noise, a bit like a helicopter constantly flying over, which I thought it was until I realised it was coming from my own ears. I’ve since learned that this can happen if you have neck dysfunction that isn’t just related to the styloids and I started to strengthen my upper/mid traps with shoulder shrugs and that’s really helped, I don’t get it so much now. Just don’t overdo it. I also have headspace app and use the sleep casts when I just can’t get to sleep and the breathing exercises for anxiety. Two years ago I was in so much pain and had so much anxiety I literally got no sleep at all for 6 weeks, I was hallucinating and couldn’t cope with life at all. I just led in bed and waiting for the night to turn to day.

3 Likes

Hi there, I’m sorry you’re struggling with sleep issues. I believe the loud noise you’re describing is called Exploding Head Syndrome. I’ve experienced it several times before especially when I was going through extremely stressful periods of time obsessing with symptoms etc. This usually happened right when I was transitioning from being awake to asleep, sometimes accompanied by sudden limb jerks, muscle twitching etc. I know it’s hard to be mindful or try to relax when you’re overwhelmed with your condition and bizarre bothersome symptoms but it does help to destress to the best of your ability, take a break from your phone/computer prior to bedtime, maybe meditate if you’re into that, take magnesium supplements, take a bath with epsom salt, or even a prescription medication. On occasion I take a low dose Valium before bed, o do it sparingly since it’s habit forming. I hope you feel better and can get some sleep :heart::heart::heart:

2 Likes

Yes, I looked that exploding head Syndrome and that’s exactly what’s happening…just so weird. I also have episodes of involuntary jerking in different parts of my body. I am very depressed and anxious, so I guess it’s a manifesting as these symptoms. I do use a app at night but between my two types of Tinnitus it is becoming very difficult to fall asleep, but I eventually do since I’m so mentally exhausted. My husband snores pretty bad too, so he had been going into our spare room/ his home office to sleep when I really struggling. He’s having a sleep study soon because I think he has sleep apnea. His snoring sure doesn’t help .

1 Like

It’s so hard when you are having multiple health issues to just want to exist in general. I have been through so much, some residual PTSD from a very bad car accident some years ago, issues with my youngest son and his addiction issues and my health issues. Two types of Tinnitus and hearing loss, chronic pain from my degenerative disc disease and spinal stenosis. I have to be strong for my youngest who is in middle school and a grandmother to a 4 year old. I feel like a burden to my family and I’m angry at my limitations. I was a nurse and had to give that up due to my pain issues. I worry about my cognitive health because of the hearing loss and Tinnitus. This is the biggest hurdle I have had to deal with. I need to keep fighting for my health so I can function. I think it’s time to talk to a surgeon about my cervical spine. I do use some apps on my phone before bed. Music , white noise, ocean sounds, Bible stories. They do help a bit. It’s been a struggle for sure, lately. I just feel like I’m barely existing.

4 Likes

Very similar situation here! Both types of tinnitus and the snoring husband! It is so frustrating! I also hear the shotgun blast right as i drift off to sleep. I didn’t realize that it was a thing and actually had a name! I have temporal lobe epilepsy and it is extremely active when I am entering and while I am in REM sleep. I always attributed the shotgun sound to that. My husband likes to watch old westerns and those car restoration shows. I usually find that if those are left on while I am trying to sleep, it helps drown out all the noise in my head. Since I have no interest in those shows, I am usually able to fall asleep eventually. I definitely relate to all you said!

2 Likes

I have been experiencing an increase in involuntary jerking…it’s very alarming. I hate being a hypochondriac but I’m wondering if I’m experiencing some sort of neurological disturbance. I feel tremors in the lower part of my face sometimes. I’m just so over this body😥

I take and need a lot of magnesium. Would recommend it for muscle relaxation if you are not using. Unfortunately I’m not knowledgeable of other issues that would cause the jerking.

1 Like

So now i also have learned. When I hear a dog bark really loudly one time and it jolts me awake… that is this.
I am so sorry for your struggles and do hope you can carve your way through to getting a little better. Hubs having a sleep study and hopefully snoring resolved will certainly help. When my husband snores there is no sleep happening for me.

2 Likes

Move to another bed ))). My sleep is so compromised, I’ve had to make it a priority. And hubby snores like a freight train!

2 Likes