Surgery Preparation and Post-Up Recovery Tips

I know this have been discussed in many different threads before, so please excuse me for posting here... My surgery trip is a last-minute emergency plan due to the recurring episodes of near-fainting experience I started to have this past week... my sister and bro-in-law are driving me up to the Bay Area tomorrow so that I can be physically closer to Dr. Samji should anything happen before surgery on 4/18. I feel quite unprepared and probably will have very little time to grab things home before heading on the road. So.. wanted to borrow from everyones experience... what should I bring that would help make this surgery an easier experience in terms of prep, recovery, comfort items, etc...?

Thank you!!!

So sorry I didn't see your post till today, Bella, as you're probably already up here near Dr. Samji's ofc. (I don't live too far from there myself).

You will need a wedge pillow or 2 as Dr. Samji wants you to keep your head elevated to 30 degrees for at least a week after surgery. If you are staying at a hotel, you can also ask for extra pillows & strategically stack them to create that angle.

A blender would also be helpful as you may not feel like chewing for a few days post op & being able to make blender meals is a good thing.

Ice packs (resuable) are a must as you will want to ice your neck/incision for several days post op,

The pain meds are very constipating. You will want to get a product such as Calm (magnesium citrate powder - it comes in flavors) to drink daily starting the day of surgery if you can swallow well enough. Being intestinally clogged during recovery is not a happy experience - been there, done that. Calm is sold at most pharmacies like Walgreen's & CVS. Whole Foods also carries it.

Make sure you listen to your body & closely follow Dr. Samji's pain med dosing instructions. Days 3-5 post op are the worst as far as swelling goes. Even if you think you're feeling better in that time frame, stick w/ the pain meds. You'll regret it if you try to start cutting back during that time (also speaking from experience).

I will send you a friend request so you can ask further questions of me if you'd like.

:)

ALRIGHT Surgery! Fingers crossed this goes super smooth for you.
This is part of my pack list that I found REALLY helpful..
Your most comfortable pants and undies.
Shirts with wide necks, or button ups. Working your head through holes is going to be harsh.
Ice pack- I recommend one of those pouch types that you fill with your own ice. Mueller makes the softest kind, so it's not stiff or scratchy, it molds around your neck, and you can pack it light so it doesn't hurt your incision.
Delicious soup or apple sauce. Chewing will be miserable, but not as miserable as swallowing.
Hard candy to suck on.
A drool towel for when swallowing is just too miserable.
Movies with bright colors that you don't actually have to pay attention to to know what's going on.

Oh yes! Isaiah has excellent advice. Colace and Docusate (aka- dookey pills) are key.

Thank you Isaiah and SnappleofDiscord, those are great advice! We finally arrived in the Bay Area today. I am so looking forward to the surgery. Will rest up the next few days so I have more energy to gather those items.

I think they've pretty much covered it all! My favourite smoothie- very tasty but also healthy for quick healing!- is pineapple and spinach juiced together, then use banana and natural yoghurt to make a smoothie. You can't taste the spinach!! Plus add spirulina if you want for extra protein/ goodness, and psyllium husk for fibre to help with constipation! Orange, carrot and ginger juice is lovely too- I think God's Blessing posted on using a juicer called Nutribullet which can do juices and smoothies in one, if you're able to get hold of one beforehand.

The B group vitamins are supposed to be good for nerve repair, so if they're okay with other medications you're on then try that. Eat as healthy as you're able to for the next week so you're in good condition beforehand.

Really glad that you're able to get in for surgery so quickly, and that you have a helpful family around! Best wishes...

Thank you Jules! I love green juices so I've brought my juicer with me. I may look into borrowing a blender from friend here too, not too sure if my juicer can also do smoothies (and they sound so good... and this way I'll have variety).

I'm glad I'm physically closer to Dr. Samji now, and can settle in and rest well before having the surgery. Thank you everyone for your well wishes and prayers!

Juicers don't work for making smoothies as a smoothie generally uses the whole fruit/vegetable & not just the juice. You could add yogurt or protein powder to your juice though to make a smoothie more akin to those you get at Jamba Juice. I recommend Vega, Amazing Grass, or RAW brands of protein powders. They all come in yummy flavors and have tons of phytonutrients in them.

bella said:

Thank you Jules! I love green juices so I've brought my juicer with me. I may look into borrowing a blender from friend here too, not too sure if my juicer can also do smoothies (and they sound so good... and this way I'll have variety).

I'm glad I'm physically closer to Dr. Samji now, and can settle in and rest well before having the surgery. Thank you everyone for your well wishes and prayers!