Surgery today w Dr. Hackman

Thank You very much for sharing this info. I’ve looked into the Sienna Hotel…fancy…beautiful! The airbnb…sounds like a solid place! how long did you stay at the Airbnb? Was their any issue with getting food? Or did you have any complications from the surgery? Did Dr. Hackman require you to hire a nurse for 24 hours after surgery for care? I ask the last question as in meeting with Dr. Ray Osborne, his office required that. Also they did not accept Medicare and wanted $52,000+ for both surgeries, done at least 1 week apart. – Oh I’m in LA…but flying to NC Jan 21st.

We stayed at the Airbnb Monday through Friday. Chapel Hill was a 6 hour drive for us, and I was well enough to make and freeze food for me (soups primarily)… There was a blender at the cabin, so I had protein powder and fruit for smoothies. Since you are are flying, going a day or two earlier to prep would be good. This particular Airbnb only had a fridge and freezer drawer, so hoping you have someone with you for surgery who can grab what you need at the store.

I did not have any complications from surgery, but only had one side done. I did have part of my stylohoid ligament removed, so had that pain as well, but it was manageable. There are several on the forum that had both sides done with Dr. Hackman, and they did well, but while recovering, I was in awe that they did both at the same time… I’m sure it’s doable, but seemed it would be a lot at least for me.

I would caution that the overnight nursing was practically nonexistent. That was challenging and disappointing. The night nurse came in at the beginning of her shift and immediately stated how tired she was… So if you can have someone overnight with you, would recommend.

Dr. Hackman said we could go home the next day. Nothing about need for additional care. Since I was in the post-op honeymoon, thinking back now, I might would have rather travelled immediately after. My concern was getting home and having no one in charge of my care should there be a need for help. But travelling on day 5 and sitting in traffic such that a 6 hour drive became and 8 hour drive was hard. Set me back and had a couple of rough after… but since most of us are travelling, suspect that would be the case whenever you travel.

1 Like