Surgery with Dr Samji 5/9/22

@Jules - This is invaluable information about nerve regeneration for those who are in that “hurry up to wait” phase of healing! What a fantastic share!

4 Likes

@meregehrke, I had my left side done on May 4th. You’re in good company where recovery is concerned. I’m about 11 weeks and like you have been working with a pain mgmt doctor. I’ve gotten credible results off of Lyrica at 100mg/day which as I understand is a VERY low dose. I feel about 75% most days. My doctor wants me more pain free though so I’ll be jumping to 200mg/day which he said is also still quite a low dose. My symptoms are mostly the throat/tongue burning and this “pressure” in my neck about where the styloid was.

I’m swayed that the neck symptom is potentially nerve related too as when I have a good day on meds, that symptom also lessens. And if I’m busy and doing chores, it all flares up.

My PT also assures much the same and even suggests that inflammation during the healing is perfectly normal even this far out from surgery!

I’m hopeful, especially after reading this thread, that time will ease much. It’s just hard to grasp when the surgery site is nearly non-existent and I want the rest to also be non-existent!

Best always to you!

4 Likes

It’s so reassuring to read about everyone’s healing experiences. I’m almost 3 weeks out and wondering now how much of my pain is nerve pain. I’m going to go back and read the symptoms posts tomorrow.

3 Likes

It was @1speechpick@s info, just passing it on, good that you’ve found it helpful though, & glad that the Lyrica is helping you a bit too :hugs:

2 Likes

This information on nerve regeneration came from my neurosurgeon, Dr. John McGregor at Ohio State Medical Center. I want to make aure I’m properly crediting the source.

3 Likes

1Speech- thank you so very much for sharing that info! It’s so helpful and valuable to understand the length of time for repair and why!

3 Likes

I’m so glad you found it helpful!!! I’m the type that likes to understand why things are happening so I found the information very helpful, as well!! I’m so thankful my neurosurgeon shared it with me! It really helps me to stay more patient with my recovery.

3 Likes

@tokenegret ~ To make it easier for you, here are links to the two thorough posts @Jules wrote about symptoms:

There are, of course, many more symptoms discussions but these are a great start!!

I am so grateful for this thread and the information on nerve healing! Thank you! I just had my 2nd styloid removed ( left side) 5 days ago. This left side was my painful side for 10 years now. I had Palatal movement, ear, jaw and neck pain that is thought to be due to the glossopharyngeal nerve being compressed.

Reading this thread is giving me hope for better days ahead. Now that the styloid is out, hopefully the nerves will eventually settle down.

One day at a time. All my best!

3 Likes

Good attitude & good approach, @Eagle1 - one day at a time. By the end of your second post op week, you may be noticing more positive changes. You’re just coming out of the post op period where inflammation is the worst (days 3-5 after surgery). I’ll be praying that you’ll notice signs of improvement soon!

:hugs: :pray:

2 Likes

Hope that you heal well & soon notice an improvement in your symptoms :pray: :hugs:

2 Likes

Thank you so much Isaiah and Jules! One week and now. So very, very grateful for you both and this wonderful site!!

4 Likes