UK - Dr Jonathan Hughes - anyone been treated by him for C1 resection

So Mr Obholzer is skull base surgeon who can help maybe. His NHS practice in London has long wait list I read. But you could get initial private consult at one Welbeck? As is skull base I’d assume he could help C1? D

2 Likes

Hello @julia - I have read some of your posts with great interest as I am going to see me Hughes at the end of the month after so many dead ends and no real help on hope where I live (Dorset).

I know you may not see this but hope you do! Did you have your operation privately or just the consultations? How about scans/tests etc? How long was your wait? Recovery? Also, I’m 68 now, will he set an age limit or are there any other pitfalls? I’m pretty nervous to say the least. Thank you and hope you continue in good health? :heart:

2 Likes

Hello

I was fortunate that my father helped to pay what was around £8000 for private day surgery at the London clinic but that’s because I had at the time two tiny children and was thoroughly depressed with the pain and hitting brick walls with treatment. My vascular symptoms were so bad I couldn’t function to look after them and the styloid was attempting to break through the back of my throat. I think as the result of having no tonsils from aged three, and a poor posture because I’ve always been hypermobile. I hit 40 woke up one day with left sided throat pain and the rest is history. I’m in Hampshire, though I was in Devon at the time and had to travel up to see him. I saw him privately, and had scans privately too. I’m not proud of that, I would always go the NHS route but I was desperate. He was working out of UCL at the time, I’m not sure where he’s based now but he was perfectly happy to see me privately and then refer to operate via the NHS. I don’t think age would be a consideration, he really is someone passionate about ENT and I think would want to help anyone who was fit enough. I am doing really well but I would say it took a good year to 18 months to really calm the nerves down and I do occasionally get trapped glossopharyngeal nerve because I have been left with mild TMJ. He warned me I might get first bite syndrome as part of deep neck surgery…that didn’t really happen, I just get twinges that come and go but nothing that bothers me too much anymore. Please feel free to let me know any other questions and I really hope you get good care. Feel free to mention my case to him if you think it helpful.

Julia

4 Likes