Update on my surgery

Most of you know that I had extraoral left styloidectomy on May 2 of this year. Slightly over three months later and I'd like to report on my status. I still have most if not all of my POTS (Dysautonomia) symtoms, so I don't think there was a vascular issue. My scar has healed nicely and is barely noticeable. The last migraine I had was 7/4 and only lasted 4 days. I haven't had one since, but I am also using Botox for migraine so it's hard to say if the surgery helped that. My next Botox appt is in September, so I may cancel and see how long I can go without it without getting a migraine. I do have increased range of motion in my neck and less upper back pain. I can also look all the way back (up toward the ceiling) which I could not do before, but again, Botox may contribute to that as well. I had one weird symptom where my upper thighs would get freezing cold (sometimes the surface temp was as low as 70 degrees with a temporal thermometer.) No doctor has ever had a clue as to what caused that, but it seems to have disappeared for the most part. Oh, every time I look to the right, my neck pops now. Not painful, just annoying. Maybe because I have more range of motion and my right styloid is also elongated? I know this probably isn't much help, but I remember reading that very few people come back to the site post-op, so here I am :) Please feel free to ask me any questions that you may have. I'm sure that I've barely covered the whole story. ~ KB

Thanks for reporting. Did you have any specific symtpoms before that you are sure are not there now.

Hope you never have another migraine. I hated those, but not related to Eagles, I don't think. I haven't had them in a long time. Sorry you still have POTS symptoms.

Thanks for updating us on your condition lazykb. Sorry you are still having lingering issues to deal with after your surgery. I also have what I call "creaky neck syndrome", my neck pops and cracks when I move my neck to the right. This has been going on with me off and on since my car accident in 2005. Since my right styloid surgery three weeks ago, the pops have been a lot less. I did get whiplash and herniated disc problems from that accident so I don't know for sure if there was a direct correlation between my eagles and spine problems. Time will tell if I see improvement in that area. Wishing you all the best in getting proper medical care on your current health issues!

KB,

Thank you for coming back and updating us. It means a lot. Sorry you still have issues but it is good to know that some of them have resolved or are being treated to make your quality of life better. I will pray that more issues will resolve for you and your POTS can be managed.

Lazykb

Thanks for the update! It’s always good to hear from people at any point from their surgeries, whether it’s months, years or days!

I had a left extraoral styloidectomy done last Friday (8/9/13) I’ve been taking 200 mg of Topamax for migraines for the last 8 months and have been considering whether or not to ween off the medication or continue until I have the right styloid removed in a few months. What do you guys think? I think I read that lazykb was considering, maybe, postponing a Botox injection in September to see if it made a difference in the migraine pattern?

I think it’s all a roll of the dice too!! A little scary, ya know! I mean, here I am 5 days post op - already noticing a difference in the way I feel! The barometric pressure changed dramatically here in the Columbus area two days ago and it usually would have sent me running for the bottle of Imitrex, a dark room and Valium. Instead I grabbed a bottle of water and took a light walk up and down the street! No wild headache! Now that one side of my jugular vein and carotid artery aren’t blocked my brain is being correctly oxygenated!!! Did you guys notice an immediate change in energy levels? (Or am I just losing my mind?)

Let us know how the Botox works out!!

I had my left styloid removed in January. It was blocking my jugular vein. My energy level increased dramatically. I felt great and still do. So glad you have the same result.