What next?

Recently I went to a 2nd ENT Dr., can not see elongation from xrays etc. but calcification on left side (can clearly feel lump on outside, going on 2 years. When he checked inside on that side, painful. He sent me to a back specialist, who sent me home on Aleve. Went back to chiropractor, who seems to know more about my symptoms than anyone else and he set me up with another back specialist to rule out any issues with spine discs. Xrays and mri showed nothing. Symptoms now are dull pain almost always at site of calcification, sometimes sharp, dizziness some when standing, low head pressure on back, left shoulder pain front and back, fatigue...where to go next...thanks;)

Hi Kiffany,

I'll share what I know. If you have read through some of the discussions, you will see that most of us have gone through a menagerie of different medical specialist. Some had different diagnosis for what they thought it was. During my 5 year ordeal of trying to find someone to correctly diagnosis me, it took doing a 3-D CAT Scan to put it all together and see the elongated right styloid. On my pre-op appointment, my surgeon could not feel the styloid in my mouth but the 3-D CT Scan clearly showed that it was there. After my surgery July 25th, my surgeon was surprised to see that my right styloid had curved in toward the spinal cord. That was something he did not expect at all. He took out 2.5 cm of bone. The ct scan could not distinguish which tissues it was affecting. Sometimes they don't know what they have until they do the surgery. Scans are not perfect indicators of what is really going on. I am lucky because that curved bone could of pierced my spine. I understand your symptoms you are having because I had them too. Not all of my symptoms have resolved, but I have faith that they will become less intense with time. I wish you luck in finding a specialist to help you get treatment for your pain. Take care of yourself!


Exactly what Viperbone said. Please find a surgeon on Emma's list, if possible, and don't waste your time with clueless doctors.

X-rays and mri's usually don't show Eagles. Usually Eagles is diagnosed with a 3D CT scan or a CT scan with contrast. And then, like Eagleheart said, don't waste your time with clueless doctors - if at ALL possible, go to one of the experienced surgeons on the list. That usually means travel, but it will help avoid potential months or years of pain and frustration.