2 months After surgery I have bad taste in my mouth when eat or drink and still ear trouble

Does anyone have this bitter taste in mouth when eat or drink ? I also still have full feeling in my ear and pain once in awhile. I also still have swelling under jaw and neck . BUT so glad I had surgery so many other stuff Gone!! These things are only since surgery except ear which was worse before surgery .

I hope this all will go away and wondering if others had this and how long?

although this woman leaked quite a bit as did other s i ahve read about, it would be a good idea to have thraot and sinuses swabbed, USING A separate swab for each SIDE of thrat and each nasal passage, ie 4 of them, to determne of you might have a leak, it is RARE but is know to happen, if it is infection the labs will prove this, if ther is actual FLUID leaking, they can determine if normal flora/fauna or if CSF! I am also working up this angle soon! I wake up not having swum or even showered recently with a lot of "war wetness" not a gushing mind you, but enough to wet a swab, its' not sweat either as I don't sweat like normal patients do (due to Sjogren's) (yes I know gross going without a shower but sometimes surgery dictates staying in bed etc)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2242332/Cerebrospinal-fluid-leak-Woman-dies-brain-fluid-leak-months-Arizona.html

and do NOT let your doc talk you OUT of teting for this, becuae surgery can CAUSE This they do not want us finding out about it beuace it means you have an IATROGENIC INJURY, meaning THEY or the other docs CAUSED it!

Proper testing=proper care!

Cat

PS: one more way tatse can be affected is thyroif disorders, almost forgot wehn I had hyperthyroid some things tasted metallic, but infections too can cause tastebuds to be "off" but you KNOW when soemthing isn't right and it needs attention/swab/testing.C~

Maybe you should have your doctor check for an infection. If it gets worse and feels feverish or you get fever, make sure you rush to the doctor. Deep tissue infection is a consideration during any surgery. Otherwise, it may be scar tissue and you might need to massage. Your doctor should probably check it out. My doctor scheduled a checkup 2 months after surgery.

I do go back to dr cognetti on Thursday 30th so I will ask him but hope he is like “I don’t know”

I agree that it's a good idea to see your doctor. I got a bad taste in my mouth a long time after surgery and my tongue was white. I had to take antifungal medicines because my doctor thought it was thrush. That's something that can result from a weakened immune system/antibiotic use. Since I took antibiotics for awhile after surgery, I think my healthy bacteria were also destroyed, making an opportunity for yeast overgrowth.

After taking the oral antifungal medicine once, the white stuff brushed right off of my tongue and the bad taste (and bad breath) disappeared.

I am not saying you have the same thing, but it'd be smart to see the doctor no matter what it is.

Eagleheart I forgot about mentioning thrush, I had a case after my tonsillectomy, way back in 1991. The doc joked that, "maybe the instruments were dirty!" NOT what you want a urgeon to say! Thrush is usually whitish and can look like dare I comare it to : cottage cheese.
Cat

I had my surgery in May of 2012 and every once in a while I get that bitter taste and sharp pains in my ear. But it only lasts a few minutes and then, is gone. Like you, I am so glad I also had the surgery because I feel so much better!!

~~ tiger

Thank u all for these thoughts and knowing I’m not alone . Eagle heart how r ur systems now

pre op, i had the bitter nasty all the time, and by the end of the day, the left upper of the mouth and left side of the tounge would have a strange numb thing going on.

post op, the bitter went away, the numb on the left inside the mouth was worse, all the time rather than just at the end of the day.

surgery 2 on the left side was july 8 2013, things are still getting better with time, the numb in the mouth cleared up just before christmas.

for the ears, some of the ringing went away and the pitch changed on what was left,

pre op, both ears bothered me all the time, always stopped up.

two days post op, the right ear was really stopped up so i started picking at it, a large plug of gunk came out, it was nasty.

only thing we could figure out was the styloid had also pinched off the ear drain tube thing and once the styloid was gone, the drain started working normal and the goo came out.

post op both ears have felt clear almost all of the time

Everyone, I would like to ask what may seem like an odd question, but then Eagle's is an odd illness to have.

Although I lost all my teeth due to Sjogren's calcifying my roots, at age 36 my mouth is shrinking quite a bit, more so then what I believe should be normal in someone my age. I was wondering if anyone else is feeling like their tongue is getting too big for their mouths? is anyone biting the underside of their tongues? or do any of you have one of those little dental mirrors which you might be able to use so you can see your upper alveolar pad? This is the area right behind your last teeth whether they are the molars or wisdom teeth, if yours came in? there are four of these pads, two upper and two lowers. OK NOW tell me, does anyone else have skin in this area looking like it is a webbed, like guitar string, instead of healthy rounded gum tissues? ? anotherwords, it is stretched to its' max yet atrophic!
Cat

not biting my tongue but,
before I had my styloids pulled out last year, I was having a numbness on the left side of my mouth and was biting the inside of my mouth on the left side, I had a raw sore spot there for a long time. post op, I have not had a problem and the sore has cleared up

Cat said:

Everyone, I would like to ask what may seem like an odd question, but then Eagle's is an odd illness to have.

Although I lost all my teeth due to Sjogren's calcifying my roots, at age 36 my mouth is shrinking quite a bit, more so then what I believe should be normal in someone my age. I was wondering if anyone else is feeling like their tongue is getting too big for their mouths? is anyone biting the underside of their tongues? or do any of you have one of those little dental mirrors which you might be able to use so you can see your upper alveolar pad? This is the area right behind your last teeth whether they are the molars or wisdom teeth, if yours came in? there are four of these pads, two upper and two lowers. OK NOW tell me, does anyone else have skin in this area looking like it is a webbed, like guitar string, instead of healthy rounded gum tissues? ? anotherwords, it is stretched to its' max yet atrophic!
Cat

Trooper Dude:
Glad it cleared up! I wear a full denture so it's not too hard to be biting myself a lot with PN and all from other issues like Systemic sclerosis (PN=Peripheral Neuropathy) the tighter my skin gets, the smaller my mouth is, I feel likeI will swallow myself and then turn inside out eventually! and I have no gag reflex either so it's definitely weird!

Cat

Hi

Before surgery and a couple of months post op I bit my tongue very hard every time I went to sleep. ENT said that my tongue was scalloped. I also bit myself inside the mouth leaving sores. Nobody could explain it. I finally had my dentist make me a mouth guard. He were reluctant. Saying it probably would not help me from biting myself. But it did. Instantly. I slept with my mouth guard every night for about two weeks. Then I tried to sleep without it and I have not bit myself since.

As for the bitter taste and numbness after surgery, In my case, anything sweet tssted bitter and horrible for about 2 months. Right side of my tongue went numb for the first couple of months.

Now 3 months after surgery my taste has fully recovered and The numbness has dissapeared.

I think that you should probably just give your nerves time to heal. I were told that numbness and taste normally recovers in the first 6 months after surgery.

Eagle Rose

Thank you I did see dr cognetti on Thursday and he said all this was most likely from surgery As everything looks and feels good…He said for me to remember that I had major surgery and showed me how close to ear and Spine he was removing and moving all stuff . But don’t u get tired and just want to feel perfect lol :slight_smile: ?!..I like to golf and active stuff and want to get there … He said for me to be patient and let time heal . I said I can go back in three months if I felt I needed and had me make an appointment . Still so much better than before surgery but crazy how things are post op. AGAIN so glad for the support here. And Trooper Dude you were the first blog that I read so thnx!!!

Neckpainc, My oral thrush (or whatever it was) is gone now and hasn't come back. I eat yogurt every day to get good bacteria built back up in my system.

As for my eagle syndrome, besides very rare pain twinges in ear and throat, I'm better now. The only other problem is that whenever I get a head cold the eagle syndrome comes back. Right now my Eustachian tube is plugged on one side, and I've had some eagle symptoms with that.

Overall, there is no doubt that my surgery was a success. :)

Hi Eagleheart,

Before my diagnosis I was using a neti pot when I went to the doc for sinus issues - what I always believed it was she had me do A different type of sinus rinse it is a squirt bottle you add salt water to it but she also gave me Budesonide capsule to add it is a safe steroid. I feel tremendously better post op but when I tried to give up the rinse I felt things happening again so I have gone back to it of course as said it is allergy season. I have attached a picture of the contraption I use morning and night it really helps. Also apparently reduces number of colds by washing out viruses before they have a chance to multiply. It is a very ancient Yogi practice and totally safe because the saline is the same as your body makes so you are essentially washing your sinuses with their own fluid but be warned use it privately it can be kind of gross looking!

eagleheart said:

Neckpainc, My oral thrush (or whatever it was) is gone now and hasn’t come back. I eat yogurt every day to get good bacteria built back up in my system.

As for my eagle syndrome, besides very rare pain twinges in ear and throat, I’m better now. The only other problem is that whenever I get a head cold the eagle syndrome comes back. Right now my Eustachian tube is plugged on one side, and I’ve had some eagle symptoms with that.

Overall, there is no doubt that my surgery was a success. :slight_smile:

416-image.jpg (469 KB)

FYI: http://www.aacijournal.com/content/4/3/125 I will only use saline myself (neilmed Rinse as even that is srying to \nasal membranes)

Cathy

It will go away. I am almost 2 years post op and sometimes I still have ear pain and sometimes stuff tastes bitter. I think it may be my sinuses. I do not regret having the surgery, for one moment!!!! The lingering annoyances are nothing compared to before the surgery.

Unfortunately, the surgery does not make us perfect and we will never be what we were before the Eagles' took over our lives.

Hang in there. it gets better.

~ tiger

Lifelongeagle, thanks for the tip. I'll try that next time I have a cold or allergies and maybe it'll keep away the eagle symptoms.

Tiger, I'm glad to hear you're doing better. I agree that I'm still not 100% ,but I am SO much better now. It was a long recovery, but I'm so glad I had surgery.

yes thank you for all the post!! My dr also suggested, instead of nedi pot because sometimes the fluid would get stuck in my sinsuses then be in trouble :0 fluid in but not fluid out...so he recommended Nielmed Nasa Mist . same company I think as nedipot :0 so mist is better in my case. Also a new nasal spray that works great for inflammation, can not remember name right now= it is at work left if in my desk. if any interested will get later.

still and always will be glad for the surgery. I did not go back for 6months recheck I am going to wait for 1 yr. I have been trying to play golf and getting a little discouraged, and I shouldn't!!!!! my chiropractor say. WHOO you still have scar tissue near the back of my neck near my spine that need time to heal. So I get some trouble from not listening. Today my tongue is swollen a little, because I golfed yesterday :) and neck is stiff and sore and also lets not forget a little ear discomfort. BUT I played good, so was it worth it. hmmmmm.

patience is hard to learn, does anybody else find that. we have been through so much and came out better then expected so... in that case we are good ;)