2nd surgery is scheduled

I had my right styloid removed intraorally on May 13. Saw my ENT on 5/28 and scheduled to have the left one removed on 6/30. I am pleased with results of the right side and that side is just about symptom free!!! I am hopeful that my symptoms will be completely gone once the left is out! Thanks to Dr. Timothy Anderson @ Lahey Clinic in Burlington, MA.

Really pleased that you're doing well, Lola! Hope the second surgery goes well too, what a prospect to look forward to, all over and done with! God Bless, Jules.

Thanks for the moral support, Jules.

Jules said:

Really pleased that you're doing well, Lola! Hope the second surgery goes well too, what a prospect to look forward to, all over and done with! God Bless, Jules.

Lola, how much was taken from your first surgery? Did they tell you exactly what they did?

I had about 2.5 cm removed intraorally on my right styloid process. I believe that the ligament was removed as well. It measured more than 4 cm prior to surgery. My right side feels NORMAL again, but left is still a problem. I will have the left side done in 16 days. How are you doing?

Ivy said:

Lola, how much was taken from your first surgery? Did they tell you exactly what they did?

Are you working at the moment Lola, or off for a while? (I know you're a teacher; in the UK our summer break isn't until end of July, when is it in the US?).

Jules,

I am teaching until June 18th. Our summer vacation will last through the end of August.

Jules said:

Are you working at the moment Lola, or off for a while? (I know you're a teacher; in the UK our summer break isn't until end of July, when is it in the US?).

Good luck until the end of term then! I hope your class are good for you!

Lola, what did they actually do on the right side?

Hi Lola,

Sorry I missed the chance to chat w/ you. Must have stepped away from my computer while you were on this site. I'm so glad to hear your second surgery has gone well. Hopefully your left side will feel much better by the time school starts again. I'm currently 2 weeks out from my second surgery and have been struggling w/ intermittent hearing loss in my left ear. It was diagnosed as Meniere's Disease, and today for the first time, I actually had vertigo bad enough I had to go to bed for a few hours to "shake it off". I've been convinced that my "Meniere's" symptoms are actually being caused by my existing long styloid as my neck usually is symptomatic (i.e. pain & pressure) during the hearing loss episodes. I'm being a good girl, though, and am taking the required meds for Meniere's (at least till I have my surgery). After that, I'm going to do some experimenting to see if I still need them.

I'm praying for your continued & quick healing.

:)

Isaiah 40:31

Thanks for your e-mail. What is Meniere's Disease?

Isaiah 40:31 said:

Hi Lola,

Sorry I missed the chance to chat w/ you. Must have stepped away from my computer while you were on this site. I'm so glad to hear your second surgery has gone well. Hopefully your left side will feel much better by the time school starts again. I'm currently 2 weeks out from my second surgery and have been struggling w/ intermittent hearing loss in my left ear. It was diagnosed as Meniere's Disease, and today for the first time, I actually had vertigo bad enough I had to go to bed for a few hours to "shake it off". I've been convinced that my "Meniere's" symptoms are actually being caused by my existing long styloid as my neck usually is symptomatic (i.e. pain & pressure) during the hearing loss episodes. I'm being a good girl, though, and am taking the required meds for Meniere's (at least till I have my surgery). After that, I'm going to do some experimenting to see if I still need them.

Here's info on Meniere's Disease: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/menieres-disease/basics/definition/con-20028251

My ENT doc said it's basically fluid retention in the inner ear which is treated by taking diuretics for the rest of one's life. My symptoms are loud low pitched tinnitus, pressure in my ear like I have an earplug in place, and hearing loss (not complete loss) w/ distortion of the sound that comes into my ear. It seems to last anywhere from a day to a week . On the last day before my hearing returns I usually get some very mild vertigo (i.e. I can function normally when I have it) then the hearing, ear ringing & ear pressure subsides and my normal hearing returns for a few days to a week then the cycle repeats. I haven't found the diuretics to be helpful yet. My hearing impairment seems to come and go at it's own whim.

This problem can onset after a head injury (which I suffered in May when I went over the handle bars of my bike).

Now you know something new!

Lola said:

Thanks for your e-mail. What is Meniere's Disease?

Hi Lola,

Thanks for explaining the Meniere's! Sounds awful. I have a bit of the ringing in my ears, but nothing to worry about. It is only loud when my surroundings are really quite….

Facial pain lingers. Trying St. John's Wort infused in oil and sacral cranial therapy. Hoping for some relief and so far, so good!!

My facial pain was almost gone at the six month mark but after my bike accident, it came back with a vengeance. Of course, I landed on the side of my face that was healing from the ES surgery (Murphy's Law prevails!). It's just now finally starting to feel better 3 months post bike accident. It sounds like you're doing good things for yourself if your pain is abating. After my bike accident, several people recommended Traumeel ointment (really a non-greasy cream) to me as a natural pain reliever. I did use it and it seemed to help. It's available in some health food pharmacies and stores as well as on Amazon.

Has school started for you yet? I bet this will be a much better year even w/ a sore face as you'll be able to talk to your students w/o pain. YAY!

Yes, school is almost back in swing. I am setting up my classroom and getting prepared for my new 2nd graders! Thanks for recommending Traumeel. I will check it out! So, are you indicating that it took 6 months for the face to be free from pain?

My facial pain was almost gone at the six month mark but after my bike accident, it came back with a vengeance. Of course, I landed on the side of my face that was healing from the ES surgery (Murphy's Law prevails!). It's just now finally starting to feel better 3 months post bike accident. It sounds like you're doing good things for yourself if your pain is abating. After my bike accident, several people recommended Traumeel ointment (really a non-greasy cream) to me as a natural pain reliever. I did use it and it seemed to help. It's available in some health food pharmacies and stores as well as on Amazon.

Has school started for you yet? I bet this will be a much better year even w/ a sore face as you'll be able to talk to your students w/o pain. YAY!