3 Weeks Post Op

Do you get white scabs i. Throat if operation done externally

Daisy, when was surgery and do you feel it was complete success.

No, eastmas1. That only happens if you have the surgery done intraorally.

Thanks, . Still waiting for discussion and plan and results of angiogram.

1 Like

Hi, dr.O’Connell did your surgery right?
If so, I hope you are ok to answer some questions?

When was it?
How long did you wait for your first surgery?
How long till your second?
He wouldn’t do both at same time?
Did he take it right back to the hyoid bone so they don’t grow back?

Hi! Yes Dr oConnell did both my surgeries, in Leduc hospital as dat surgery…both inta-oral . But yes they were one at a time. He only does 1 at a time due to swelling, I think it would be hell to have both at once! I had my first in sept of 2019 and the second was supposed to be in March 2020 but covid struck so it was pushed to June 2020.

1 Like

Hi Mindy,

I just want to clarify that the styloids are cut back to the skull base not the hyoid. If the ligaments are calcified separately from the styloids (i.e. styloids are not elongated but stylohyoid ligaments ARE calcified) then those would need to be cut back to the hyoid bone.

Most doctors who do intraoral surgery cannot access the stylohyoid ligaments as the incisions are made at the back of the throat to remove the styloids whereas the stylohyoid ligaments are further down & deeper into the neck so access is better via neck incisions.

In my opinion, it would be dangerous to try to treat vascular ES via intraoral surgery as the soft tissues are not visible through the throat only through the neck.

1 Like

Daisy Did he take the Styloids right back to the bone so they don’t grow back? And if there is calcified ligaments does he remove them?

Hi! My ligaments were calcified right to my hyoid bone so he removed from as close to the base as possible right to my hyoid.

1 Like