6 Days Post Op with Dr. Milligan

Hi all, I thought I’d post an update on my ES surgery experience. I had my surgery on March 30th. (external) and right from day 1 I have been doing awesome. My surgery was done at 8:30 a.m and I was discharged at 10:30 a.m …at home and in my PJ’s by 11:15 a.m :grinning: I had a really difficult time with coughing & congestion that first night (I think they used a horse sized endotracheal tube, haha!) The pain has been extremely tolerable and I’ve only needed to take ibuprofen the first 3 days. My one big frustration has been the trauma done to the platysma muscle which has caused paresis to the right side of my mouth. I have a difficult time saying words with a long E & A. and a droopy lip. I had my post op follow up with Dr. Milligan yesterday and he assured me that it should completely resolve within 3 months. I’ll be singing a lot of praise/worship songs as physical therapy, lol! All in all, it’s been an excellent experience. Right away I noticed that I was able to swallow unimpeded and I could turn my head to the right without any discomfort. Another great thing is my vision issues, dizziness & near fainting feelings have completely resolved. The doctor said my styloid (right side) wasn’t very long but he’d never seen a styloid with such a severe angulation as mine had., pretty interesting because my last appointment with him before my surgery I tried to show him on my CT that I thought it was angled medially and anteriorly and he kind of dismissed it. It is my suspicion that when I fell 2 years ago and hit the side of my face, ear and neck I may have fractured the SP. Now for my incredible spiritual experience! I am a woman of deep faith and love for my Savior, Jesus Christ. I have been praying for years to be delivered from this valley. I felt that my prayers went unanswered for years. I decided to stop praying for this deliverance and instead pray to God to help me trust in His timing and to be still & receive His strength in my weakness. The whole week before the surgery, I heard this quiet whisper multiple times a day telling me to hit my knees and pray fervently with great belief & no doubts to be ‘delivered from this valley’ (those exact words.) When I got to the hospital I saw my name on the surgery board with the name of my surgeon in one column and in the next column the name of my anesthesiologist… A. Valley!!! That made me smile. Once I was in my room and prepped, with it being Good Friday, I started reading the crucifixion and death of Jesus in the gospels. My anesthesiologist came in and prayed over me then a little while later Dr. Milligan & the anesthesiologist came back in together and both prayed over me again! I truly felt anointed with a double portion of God’s blessings. I had absolutely no fear or anxiety through the whole thing! I fully trusted in Jesus, my Great Deliverer! What a wonderful feeling that is! I couldn’t end this post without giving glory to God, Jehovah Rapha, the God that Heals! :heart:

3 Likes

WOW! Your incision is very small compared to some. So fantastic to read your testimony & know that you continue to feel so well post op! God is gracious & faithful to answer prayer. May you continue to heal & hopefully the lip droop & speech challenge will clear up in under 3 months!

:blush:

2 Likes

That’s fantastic, thank you for sharing your story. So glad that you felt God’s peace, & how amazing that the doctors prayed with you before surgery.
I hope that the nerves heal quickly & that you’re soon able to sing again! Make sure you do take it easy though, when you feel so good after surgery it’s not hard to overdo things & set healing back… :bouquet: :hugs:

2 Likes

Great news!

So happy for you. Is your tinnitus gone?

July123, I still do have some tinnitus but I also am dealing with TMJD & Hashimoto’s which both can contribute to ringing in the ears… although it has lessened a great deal.

1 Like

Wow, thank you for sharing. Your words come as great encouragement for me, especially today as I am so very tired of hurting. I try to keep a smile on the outside but I’m miserable on the inside, especially today when the sun is shining and I want to go do things without pain. Thank you so much for reminding me that God is listening and I can trust in his timing. Best wishes to you on a full recovery.You look great and I love your positive outlook!

2 Likes

Jen1,
Thank you so much. I have learned sooo much from God in these last few years while suffering with such debilitating pain.
The result of the time in this valley is I have had such an incredible walk of faith and despite the physical and emotional toll, this has been one of the best experiences of my life! Just talk to Him often, like He’s a friend sitting next to you. Whatever you would say to your best friend or a family member, say to Him.
I tell you, there are incredible blessings in suffering! In times of trouble lean deeply into Him, you won’t regret it! Praises to the One from whom all blessings flow!:heart:

2 Likes