C1 Shave Experience

I figured I’d just start a new thread for this question. What is the process for a C1 shave? Where do they cut and go in? How is the scar? What is the recovery and pain like? Are there limitations for what you can do beyond the styloid removal? I hadn’t really done much research on the C1 shave but now that Dr. Hepworth offers it that and removal of my other styloid are probably my next step.

2 Likes

Hopefully others will chip in with this, but from what I’ve read it seems to vary with different doctors just as their surgical techniques for ES vary. Some just make a groove in the C1 process to make more space, but others remove part of the process, so I think it’s something you’d have to discuss with your doctor…

1 Like

I wish I could talk to him :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@stuuke - You could make a Telehealth appt. I heard today that he’s booking in Aug. at this point for in-person visits, but perhaps you could get a Telehealth appt. sooner.

I know a specialized tool that only cuts bone not soft tissue is used for shaving C1 which makes the process much safer. It may be that the same incision used for the styloidectomy is how C1 is accessed which means the incision may be a bit longer but probably isn’t much deeper.

2 Likes

Can anyone that has had a C1 shave tell me what recovery was like?

@Barrootz has a YouTube series that documents his recovery. He’d be a good person to contact to discuss your question with.

2 Likes

Great thread. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks! I am close to finishing a website to help people too.
Once I am done, I’ll send it to you for your thoughts, and (if appropriate) sharing.

Love your youtube videos @Barrootz thank you so much for making them!

2 Likes