Chronic Cough?

Can ES cause a chronic deep cough? I seem to have a constant feeling of something in my throat and have a very deep cough like I am trying to cough something up but nothing comes out. I'm wondering if this could be some feeling from ES interfering with a nerve or muscle and causing the choking/coughing response.

Throatcrazy, I can't shed any light on coughing I am assuming if it was pressing on a nerve??? I do have the sensation something is stuck in my throat. You can feel the bone through the tonsil....this is very annoying. You absolutely picked the right user name. I wish I could offer more input but I can empathize with you!!!

I also have a chronic cough that comes and goes. I cough so hard that I do throw up sometimes. The cold air immediately makes me having coughing attacks. I feel something in my throat but it can also be related to the vagus nerve. I came across this lately that seems to fit my coughing issue. http://www.fauquierent.net/cough.htm

I've found that lately I seem to have a constant cough like I am actually choking, feels like it's harder to swallow because I'm wanting to cough all the time. What seems to really trigger it is if I lean my head straight back while sitting or standing up, like I'm looking at the ceiling. If I do that I almost immediately have a very deep cough like I'm choking. Maybe that position is causing something to push around in my neck and trigger it?

Mine is triggered especially after I eat.

1 Like

I also have chronic cough that comes and goes, the family doctor said that it could be acid. Iam taking omoprozol every day but don’t feel any better. I have an appointment on the 19 this month. There was on time when I had this cough for months and the ENT doctor told me to drink very cold water almost ice for five consecutives days. To have a the botle always next to me and have another one ready in the freezer for when the other was finish. Every time I feel like coughing to drink the water. If in the between those days I cough to start all over again. If you can make it for five days then you cured, he said. And it worked for me. I am going to try this again.

My eagles made me cough a good bit. Some days where worse than others. I don't know what caused it but its my opinion that your body is trying to reject what feels like something being stuck in the throat.

1 Like

I seem to have an almost daily cough. It's not a normal cough like where you feel something in your throat and it's annoying, it's more like "I feel like I am actually choking" cough where I am actively making myself cough to get rid of the choking feeling. Seems very deep although nothing every comes up. I'm wondering if there's some type of post nasal drip going on or something as it feels like my throat is very sticky or something, like it's sticking together and making it hard to breathe/triggering the cough. It only ever happens on the right side though very close to where the styloid is but it seems to be a tossup from the doctors as to whether it is caused by that or not.

1 Like

I had the exact thing. It was very deep as if something was stuck but nothing was coming out and there is no control to when the coughing occurs. You could be talking and then suddenly start hacking like something enormous just flew into your throat.

I experienced the choking sensation as well because my eagles on the right side was pushing in right behind my tonsil. My doctor told me today that typically flesh has to be cut and tissue has to be moved in order to locate the bone but mine was already right there pushing the right tonsil into my throat.

I felt strangled and at times the struggle to breathe was so tremendous that I felt like I was being held under water by the throat and was panicked using all my effort just to get into a position or to a point where air could be pulling into my lungs.

The mucus is very sticky and in abundance. Its hard to swallow and hard to spit out. Because it is in abundance and hard to swallow it felts like it was in the same place after 10 gulps and a bottle of water. I say that because even after all the effort of getting it down its still right there in your throat. I ended up using the tool thats used to suck snot out of a babies nose to pull it out of my mouth. I also used it after surgery.

At times I experienced a very thick and frothy saliva that would have the same effect as the other mucus. I was told that this mucus comes from stimulation of the tonsil - since the tonsils are first line of defense to allergens. The thick mucus coats the irritant to protect your body from a reaction. I'm wondering if your eagles is stimulating a tonsil to cause this.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I actually had my tonsils taken out in July to try and fix the throat tightness. It seems like things have become worse since. I still have the throat tightness but now I also have an additional tightness right where the tonsil was, only on the right side still though.

Now on top of those things over the last month or so I've developed this cough and actual choking sensation. It mainly feels like when I inhale something is actually getting sucked in and blocking the air, so possibly that is the thick mucus you are talking about. I'm just confused as to whether there is an actual sinus or acid reflux issue causing things or if it really could be Eagles. I feel like the tonsil surgery made things worse so I definitely don't want to do the Eagle surgery and end up with the same issues plus even more.

LAD said:

I had the exact thing. It was very deep as if something was stuck but nothing was coming out and there is no control to when the coughing occurs. You could be talking and then suddenly start hacking like something enormous just flew into your throat.

I experienced the choking sensation as well because my eagles on the right side was pushing in right behind my tonsil. My doctor told me today that typically flesh has to be cut and tissue has to be moved in order to locate the bone but mine was already right there pushing the right tonsil into my throat.

I felt strangled and at times the struggle to breathe was so tremendous that I felt like I was being held under water by the throat and was panicked using all my effort just to get into a position or to a point where air could be pulling into my lungs.

The mucus is very sticky and in abundance. Its hard to swallow and hard to spit out. Because it is in abundance and hard to swallow it felts like it was in the same place after 10 gulps and a bottle of water. I say that because even after all the effort of getting it down its still right there in your throat. I ended up using the tool thats used to suck snot out of a babies nose to pull it out of my mouth. I also used it after surgery.

At times I experienced a very thick and frothy saliva that would have the same effect as the other mucus. I was told that this mucus comes from stimulation of the tonsil - since the tonsils are first line of defense to allergens. The thick mucus coats the irritant to protect your body from a reaction. I'm wondering if your eagles is stimulating a tonsil to cause this.