Done with surgery

I can’t remember, what is the length of your other styloid?

I didn’t get an exact measurement. He said he thinks it was about 3.5. The one he removed was over 4.

Wow you picture looks great! From this angle it looks like hardly any swelling. That prednisone does wonders doesnt it? :laughing:I had that poking pain too on my 2nd surgery and it did eventually resolve. I measured my recovery progress by the week. Surgery 1 & 2 were different. You will have good and bad days but it seemed I turned the corner at about 8 weeks and by 12 weeks, i was off and running.
Glad your dizziness is better and hope will continue to improve.
My daughter has severe POTS (for years) and I wish we could find some way to improve it. Hope every week gets better for you. Happy healing

2 Likes

Thanks! POTS sucks I’m so sorry. I would not wish it on anyone. I’m so desperate to get better but trying to be patient.

1 Like

Its hard to be patient but try not to overdo it on the good days or you will pay for it the next day. I found that 3 weeks out was a turning point. I tried to do things in the am the first week or so and in the mid-afternoons take a pain pill and rest the rest of the day. TV (mindless movies) was my best friend. Hallmark channel would put me to sleep. Remember your body has to work out all the drugs and anesthesia. Try to drink lots of fluids and take some walks.

2 Likes

My POTS is actually worse now from the surgery. I don’t know what to make of it.

I’m sorry to hear that, one_day. As Snapple & others have noted, recovery can take awhile. I can vouch for the 2 month post op mark being a turning point for me as well. It’s a slow process. This surgery is a much bigger deal than the smallish incision indicates.

Look optimistically forward & expect recovery. Hopefully your POTS situation will settle down quickly & even become less of a problem than before surgery. :hugs:

Thank you. I am home now and feeling better just being here. I have a long hard road ahead of me but I’m a fighter as I’ve had to be to make it this far. I will try to remain positive and will update when I have made progress.

1 Like

Just being home in your own bed helps. Surgery and messing with all those nerves in the neck and face can amp up your nervous system. POTS already you know your nervous system is dysfunctional and out of whack. I’m hoping being at home and staying in a calm environment will help you. Travelling and having surgery are alot on your system. Do you take any medication for your POTS? The only thing that seems to help my daughter, is weekly saline infusions. Most of the POTS meds are generally not very helpful and the side effects are not worth the little they might give. Hang in there one_day. One day at a time…

1 Like

I don’t take meds for my POTS because I also suffer from bradycardia at rest. I think the steroid I’m on is really screwing me up. But I can’t just stop taking it. I wish I never started it. I have 6 days left. My heart rate is hitting 160 just getting up to use the bathroom. Needless to say I’m not having a good time.

No doubt the steroid not helping. So sorry you cant even go to the bathroom without racing heart. My daughter is sensitive to almost all medications, including caffeine as they all make her jittery. We try to stay away from most all medications or start at real low doses. Steroids are liking taking speed. After a few days on them, I cant even sleep they get me so hyped up. Maybe you can talk to your doctor about reducing the dose? or tapering off sooner?

I mentioned my concerns at my post op and he assured me I’ll be okay. I am at 20 now for the second day. I have not experienced any boost of energy or anything. My body feels like lead. Hard to know what is what. Just laying low and trying to breathe through this. I appreciate the support.

I always fear the worst after being ill for so long. I think I put to much hope in this being the answer for me and I’m letting my mind take over now and tell me I’ve gone and made myself worse. I also traveled yesterday so feel like I’ve been hit by a bus.

Hang in there one_day. My research shows generally steroids shouldn’t be a problem with POTS patients. How and when were you diagnosed with POTS? Are you thinking that the styloids were causing vagus nerve issues and the hope your POTS symptoms might resolve or improve?
Traveling usually wipes my daughter out. Add surgery and that is alot so have patience and be kind to yourself. You have complex issues in addition to dealing with this. I feel for you.You have a good wedge pillow and trying to stay upright in bed? Keep your legs up too. We have an adjustable bed so we can keep the legs up and adjust the head/neck easily.

Thinking of you, it sounds like that you’re having a rough recovery, praying you’ll turn the corner soon. Keep fighting & hoping. Sending you gentle hugs x

I’ve had POTS since 2012, diagnosed in 2016 after making the usual rounds. Yes my hope was this ES thing was causing vagus nerve issues. Still hoping it is and it’s just gonna take time to settle. I’ve had the work up otherwise with no other cause found for my dysautonomia.

My main complaint now is that my throat/tongue poking pain is worse after surgery. So the whole thing is just too much.

Thanks @Jules