Dr Ryan Osborne in Los Angeles

Hi All,

Is anyone familiar with Dr Ryan Osborne in LA? Anyone have their styloidectomy performed by him? I am so desperate and would appreciate any feedback thank you🙏🏼

1 Like

He’s been mentioned a couple of times in discussions, here’s a link to one:
Bilateral calcified stylohyoid ligament - Support - Living with Eagle
Here’s a link to the YouTube video of one of our members who had surgery with Dr Osbourne:
(557) Eagle Syndrome Surgery / Styloidectomy Treatment for U.S Navy Veteran Suffering With Extreme Pain - YouTube
Hopefully someone else will chip in…

Thanks so much Jules, my CTV/MRA/MRV report by the radiologist doesn’t report that there is any compression by my Styloid AKA Vascular ES.Neurosurgeons and Vascular surgeons I’ve seen do not agree with the diagnosis. In addition none of the ENT’s on this forum willing to operate can seem to tell me whether my styloid is elongated or calcified and whether they are going to remove the Stylohyoid Ligament or remove the Styloid bone as these are in fact 2 different anatomical structures. What were your symptoms before surgery? We’re they relieve before surgery? The first person to even mention my styloid was a doctor in Florida named Ross Hauser who specializes in Prolotherapy. I’m so desperate and have so many symptoms and my quality of life has been reduced to almost nothing. Thank you for being here for us.:pray:t3:

2 Likes

Daniel - I also went to see Dr. Hauser after a long period of miserable symptoms and seeing my life crumble in front of me. I do have cervical instability, but he also found my major issues with the styloids & I just had my surgery 10 days ago. I did have a FaceTime consult with Dr. Osborne in LA, and he seemed to be VERY good and quite knowledgeable. I ended up pursuing a different option because he does not take insurance (which means full price for surgery, anesthesia, plus travel & lodging) & traveling to LA from the east coast while not being able to fly was prohibitive.

I ended up having my surgery done by Dr. Hackman at UNC. Overall it was a good experience - having some post-op issues but so far they all seem like they will subside in time & the doctor was pleased with by 8-day follow up appointment.

I would suggest reaching out to Dr. Osborne to set up a consult & see if you like that option - he was very honest and is world renowned, which is encouraging, though there are some. There is a list of US doctors familiar with ES on this forum, and there are a lot of people willing to answer questions.

Best of luck!

3 Likes

Difficult if you can’t get an agreement on your diagnosis…Yes, the styloid & ligament are two different structures, but if the ligament calcifies it can merge into one, sometimes you can’t know which it is until surgery, & as long as anyone who does surgery will shorten the styloid & remove any calcified ligament then it doesn’t matter.
I had Intracranial Hypertension symptoms as both my IJV were compressed- dizziness, constant off balance feeling, head & ear pressure, headaches, brain fog, & some very scary weird symptoms which are hard to describe…as well as atypical TN, jaw & ear pain, pain turning head. After surgery the vascular symptoms reduced alot, I still get a bit of the TN pain, but it’s less than it was & I don’t get the tingling & numbness in my cheek I was getting just before surgery. It’s worked well for me, I’ve been very lucky.

3 Likes

When you had face time with Dr. Osborne could he give you medical advice? I had a facetime with Dr. Cognetti out of Philadelphia, PA he could not give me medical advice because I was out of state.

Did you ever get any information regarding Dr. Osborne?

@Cara - We’ve had a couple of members who’ve had successful ES surgeries done by Dr. Osborne. His name mostly comes up on here because of his YouTube videos. I don’t know how many ES surgeries he’s done though. The doctors names that come up most often on our forum are Dr. Cognetti, Dr. Hackman, Dr. Hepworth, Dr. Samji, & recently, Dr. Costantino. Dr. Annino has also helped a significant number of our members.

1 Like

I think a member recently had surgery with Dr. Nathan Hales, 5715 Rogers Rd Suite 128, San Antonio, TX 78251
210-249-4840 http://www.sanantonioent.com/
so might be an option?

1 Like

Where I could find the details of those doctors? I have called several and they don’t even take my call. I think because my number is from outside the Us.
And the other question is who is the best doctor doing bilateral surgery with vascular descompression?

@Aleana - The only surgeon who consistently does bilateral ES surgery is Dr. Hackman in North Carolina. I don’t think he specifically does vascular decompression but he does cut the styloids back to the skull base which is often all that is necessary to allow the IJVs to re-open. The carotids tend to get compressed further from the skull base so if they’re being compressed by the styloids, they are naturally decompressed when a styloidectomy is done. Dr. Hepworth in Colorado is our most experienced vascular ES surgeon. Dr. Lawton in Arizona has done a few decompression surgeries but not bilateral, & we’ve heard that Dr. Nakaji, also in Arizona, will shave a little off the C-1 vertebra to help w/ vascular compression, but I don’t know if he does styloidectomies or not. You could also try Dr. Osborne in Los Angeles who has a good reputation as a surgeon, but his fees are high, & I don’t know if he does bilateral ES surgery or vascular decompression.

The link to our Doctors List is below. Doctors are listed by the state they are in. I’m really sorry that offices you’ve called aren’t answering your call. Make sure you’re calling during normal business hours which are usually 9 am-5 pm M-F w/ a 2 hr lunch break from 12-2. Some offices open at 8 am & close at 6 pm. A particular doctor’s office hours should be listed on their website or on the voice mail message when you call the office. If an email address is listed on the website, you could also try contacting the offices that way.

1 Like

Thank you very much. I did send an email to dr. Herpwort. I need to wait and this is very difficult with al the symptoms I have.

Dr Hepworth’s office are quite slow at replying, I believe he might not be taking on new patients at the moment, but you could ask to be put on his list when he opens it again…
We do have a couple of doctors on our list in Mexico, although I don’t know much about them:
Dr Carlos Velez Landeros, Av. Alvaro Obregon 1184, Nueva, 21100 Mexicali, B.C., Mexico phone +52 686 552 2272 (speaks Spanish, has done bilateral surgery)
•Dr. Diana Paz Delgadillo, Especialidades Almater, C. Novena 1799, Plutarco Elías Calles, 21376 Mexicali, B.C., Mexico, phone - +52 686 516 7154,
Good luck with your search…

1 Like

Thanks. I searched about them but they don’t have good comments from some patients. They don’t talk about eagle syndrome either. Only about other surgeries but they are also dentists!!! I don’t understand if it is right for them to do this surgery.

1 Like

Okay, at some point they must have done a successful surgery to have been put on the list, but best to go to someone with experience if you suspect you have vascular ES…for that reason I wouldn’t see a dentist for surgery. I’ve not heard of dentists doing this surgery anywhere else! External surgery is the best way, maybe the dentists do intra-oral surgery?

1 Like

Well, I will check again but…

1 Like

Dr. Landeros has done external/transcervical ES surgery for at least two of our members. One had a good outcome, but the other never came back to report about his outcome. Dr. Landeros does bilateral ES surgery, but I’m certain he wouldn’t deal with vascular ES.

1 Like

hi, Isaiah. could you remind me who did your surgery?

Gracias, amigo!!!

Hi @Aleana,

Dr. Samji in San Jose, California, did my surgeries. I had a good outcome. If you have a question as to whether or not you have vascular ES, he does NOT take care of vascular compression unless it’s carotid artery which occurs lower down in the neck than the jugular compression. He does remove styloids & stylohyoid ligaments if calcified. He also does video consults so you wouldn’t have to travel to see him for an initial consult.

BTW, in spite of my screen name, I’m tu amiga. :blush:

1 Like

BTW, in spite of my screen name, I’m tu amiga. :
[/quote]