Eagles Doctors

Many of you know that I have been producing a spreadsheet of doctors who have successfully treated or diagnosed our members.I am presently working on an update. I think I have picked up all of the more recently mentioned doctors.

I will post it in about 2 weeks.

I have BIG CONCERN ABOUT THIS SPREADSHEET AND --I FEEL A NEED TO EXPRESS IT.

We are all in a lot of pain or we would not be on this forum. Because of our pain, we are naturally looking for whatever option we can find to eliminate the pain. We have to all be very aware that surgery is thought to be successful only 50% of the time.We all know that surgery is at this time the only possible permanent solution, but a surgery that works on one member may not work on one of us. Some surgeons do external some only intra oral. Some of us believe that external is the best way to go, a lot of us have chosen intra oral. In fact, more of the doctors willing to do surgery opt for the intra oral surgery. Some of us find that intra oral has not been wholly successful and look for someone to re do the surgery and believe external will be the way to go. We have received hope from the successes that some doctors have had on our members and we think that these doctors will provide the miracle that we want. However, I have realized that even our Rock Star doctors are not always successful. Some of our members are worse off after surgery and do not want to sound negative and especially do not want to comment negatively in public. I must say that all our doctors are human, like us they have bad days, react badly in a consult or just have a personality conflict with us. There have been some disappointing surgeries.

I am saying this because I feel a little responsible when a surgery goes awry or a doctor on the list that I produce performs an unsuccessful surgery. Please be cautious, do your homework, some of us have been privately in contact with members who have had issues and that is okay. I encourage you to all be wary of surgery no matter how successful the surgery has been on others. I believe that ultimately most of us will choose surgery, but sadly some of us will not be happy. This makes me feel very sad. This syndrome involves our intracranial nerves and no one knows better than we about the pain that we feel. It is real and it can be treacherous. Lots of us have found a lot of relief and the rest of us want that relief, but I still urge you to all use the spreadsheet as a starting point.

If you find a new doctor that is not on the list and you have a successful surgery, by all means mention that doctor. Our choices are few, but yours may be the one that has the right amount of compassion, knowledge and experience to give us honest opinions.

Once you have found a doctor on the list, please do not just assume that the doctor listed will be a miracle for you. Check with members who have mentioned your doctor. You can put the Doctor's name in the advanced search box at the top of the discussions window and you will find the times the name is mentioned. From there you can message the members and get information from the members. If you contact a doctor, you may find that he no longer does Eagles surgery or that he is moving or has moved to another location.

Also, remember that nerves are often misleading. We may have surgery, have no pain, but after the nerve heals the pain comes back or the opposite. We may have nerve pain until the nerve heals. In both cases, the healing process takes up to a year. So we hope you all stay with us for a year or two after surgery to keep us updated.

THE SPREAD SHEET IS JUST A STARTING POINT FOR YOUR SEARCH, NOT A GUARANTEE TO HEALING THOUGH I SURELY WISH IT WERE AND I SINCERELY HOPE WE ALL FIND RELIEF. I TOO STILL HAVE SOME ISSUES. MY DOCTOR IS NOT LISTED BUT MY INTRA ORAL SURGERY DID BRING ME RELIEF AND I MAY CHOOSE TO LIVE THE WAY I AM. THERE ARE WEEKS THAT I AM SURE THAT I WANT A REDO. I AM ON THE FENCE MYSELF.

I hope that I have offended no one and that our moderators approve of my message. Until we have the completed doctor recommendation link, I will try to keep our spreadsheet updated. Thank you all for your support and I hope we all take time to thank Ben and Scott and our moderators and the IT guys that work with us and for us.

Emma, I don't think this thoughtful post will cause offense to anyone. You have been so helpful and responsible about putting together this database, and your reminders are so well expressed and right on the mark. Thank you, Emma.

I think this is a very thoughtful post and thank you helping keep everyone in perspective. many more alternatives than surgeries and many ways to get a clear diagnosis.

I went to Dr. J Okeson at the oral Maxofacial Clinic at U of Kentucky. 1-859-■■■■■■■■

At the U of K campus. I had excellent treatment . I had been diagnosed bc I had elongated styloids on both sides; but , learned that unless you have jabbing pain or different from what I had when I turned my head and also he did nerve blocks that took away my pain for a few minutes. If it had not it would have been true eagles syndrome. I loved that he lectures and has written many text books . He gave my doctors here in South Carolina a new medical treatment plan and has talked to them many times since being home. I feel half way healed. It is amazing. what knowledge only a very few doctors have. I am grateful for not having unnecessary surgery. I cringe when I hear that some doctors that has the we will take out and let us see theory. Dr Okeson, writes the text books that most of the dental schools use and hence oral maxofacial surgeons know him from this. He is well qualified and I found him kind and a true expert on Eagles.

Please add him to your list. Wonderful bedside manor and a super star staff. God bless all of us who journey in pain. Four years for me.

Emma, I think your list is one of the best things to come out of the forum. I was so surprised to read that you felt a little responsible if something doesn't go right with one of the doctors. You're doing a fantastic service here. I don't think anyone thinks one doctor is right for everyone. I think it's so good to have a list to know where to go for additional help.

I've always looked at this forum as a safe place for us to vent. I also believe that we are best providing help for each other by providing information. If a doctor worked for some, but not for others, I actually would want to know that. I want to go into my appointments with as much knowledge as possible. I want to hear the problems others are having when they vent because that's more information for me and I can be better prepared for what may come.

I also want them to have safe place to vent here. I know that I sure need a place to vent where someone can understand at least a little bit of what I'm going through. My friends and family sure don't. But because I'm venting, doesn't mean I'm complaining about information on the forum.

I'm in a situation where I'm having horrible nerve pain that feels like I'm being electrocuted down my body. I've been to over 50 doctors and no one can find any reason for the pain other than Eagles. Two doctors think my styloid is compressing my vagus nerve, but other doctors say no, that can't be. This horrible electrocution pain went away somewhat by a revision surgery, but not completely. I thought the doctor got all the styloid out, but I recently found out he didn't. So it appears the pain is being caused by the remaining styloid. This hurts so bad I truly don't think I can take it much longer. I feel like I'm at the end of my rope. So I really need your list. It's a godsend for me. And I also need a place to vent because I feel like I'm losing it.

Emma,

Your post is thoughtful and well written. I think everyone knows all that you have stated. No one goes to a doctor blindly. We are all painfully aware of the rare and difficult diagnosis & treatment of this problem. Your spreadsheet provided me an AMAZING resource to find the right doctors quickly. Without it, it could have taken us years to find someone with experience. I did have a bad experience with one doctor on the list, but then I found another who listened to me and agreed to do the surgery. As of yesterday, my son has no pain...no throat pain, no ear pain, NO PAIN. And without this site, your spreadsheet and the amazing, brave people on here who have shared their own experiences, we would still be in a horrid place. I pray every day that each of you, my son included, is healed forever. Together, you and this site have accomplished something miraculous. You all have provided insight, research, and support that would not have been possible before the internet was accessible to all. My heartfelt thanks to everyone for their hours on this site and for contributing to the spreadsheet. Our good experience and surgery was with Dr. Jason Newman at Penn Medicine in Philadephia, PA. It was not an easy surgery, but the team there was great. They did an excellent job taking care of a child when they never operate on children. I felt my son was in good hands.

Well said by all! Emma, your spreadsheet and this forum bring a lot of hope and info to those of us on the site!

Everyone, I just wanted people to know that I don't know these doctors and that some of us have not gotten the miracle that we want just in case new people come here and think we have some great cure.

So Done, I will add you to friend list, I want to hear more.

emma said:

Everyone, I just wanted people to know that I don't know these doctors and that some of us have not gotten the miracle that we want just in case new people come here and think we have some great cure.

Cyrba said:Thank you Emma - you are doing a job that is going to be of benefit to so many people who are battling with the enigma that is Eagle's Syndrome, with it's extensive range of symptoms, and the problems in finding surgeons willing to accept the likely diagnosis, and also attempt the surgery.

I have two questions to open up to discussion: -

Once removed, can the styloid processes re-grow over time?

Also, to what extent can the problem be hereditary? Should my children be cautioned to look out for Eagle's symptoms later on in life?

Anyone got any ideas on this?

Go well, all.

emma said:

Thank you Emma. I appreciate the work you are doing on the spreadsheet. I agree with you that it’s important to have realistic expectations before and after undergoing surgery. Thank you.

Emma- you have done a great service for the people looking for any doctor who has the experience and might listen to the person suffering. LIke my doctor remove my right one then removed the wrong thing on the left-guarantee with any surgery. It's just worse with ES since it seem look for Drs. is the worst symptom and the list provides opportunity to narrow down search. So you are granted the disclaimer.

I'm coming up on 1 year after final surgery. Where is the list I can't see a link and would like to add my surgeon. He gave me the ok.

Emma, I wanted to let you know that Dr. Forrest is moving to the Cleveland Clinic as of September 1st so you can update your spreadsheet. And thanks again for all you do!

Very nicely written! Happy to be apart of this group. Just wanted to mention my Doctor… Dr Miloro
University of Chicago
Chicago, Il

WONDERFUL MAN & VERY WELL INFORMED, Teaches students about ES!

Thanks for the new doctor info, I will be updating my spreadsheet soon. Selaness80, do you have address and phone number of your doctor or a website to post.

JkL, Is Dr Forrest going to be in Cleveland Clinic in the US. I thought he is going to Abu Dhabi. Send me more information, please

I was told he is going to have a small practice at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio but will be spending a lot ot time doing administrative work at the new hospital in Abu Dhabi.

emma said:

JkL, Is Dr Forrest going to be in Cleveland Clinic in the US. I thought he is going to Abu Dhabi. Send me more information, please

I recd a letter letting me know he was moving to the Cleveland Clinic…there was no mention of Abu Dhabi with his new contact info, but they did say he would be doing administrative work in addition to a small practice. Heidemt, how did you hear of Abu Dhabi?

His assistant told me.

JKL said:

I recd a letter letting me know he was moving to the Cleveland Clinic...there was no mention of Abu Dhabi with his new contact info, but they did say he would be doing administrative work in addition to a small practice. Heidemt, how did you hear of Abu Dhabi?

Emma, I guess the answer is that he will be in Cleveland on a limited basis, but he does have a contact number at the clinic.

I’m trying to find your list an I’m not seeing it. Can you tell me where to find? Thanks