ES experienced doctor in metro Detroit area?

Is anyone aware of or know how i can go about finding a doctor in metro Detroit area that has experience working with patients with ES?

My current ENT is a good doctor but, he says that he has not performed surgery on an ES case sense his internship.

Have you checked the nearest doctor to you on the doctor's list on the top menu bar? A lot of members find that they have to travel to find someone experienced with treating ES. Otherwise research skull base surgeons; they can be a good bet as if you opt for external surgery this is the area they're used to operating in. Good luck!

I live in metro Detroit there is no Dr here. There is a Henry Ford Dr through Henry Ford in Dearborn that dose shots guided by ultra sound that it for here. I traveled to North Carolina and He dose the surgery interoral.

He

Gods blessing said:

I live in metro Detroit there is no Dr here. There is a Henry Ford Dr through Henry Ford in Dearborn that dose shots guided by ultra sound that it for here. I traveled to North Carolina and He dose the surgery interoral.

Henry Ford is where my current dr is. Do you remember the name of the doctor?

I belive it Dr.Chung

Thanks, that is very useful as my Dr is Ko from the same Henry Ford clinic as Dr Chang. I will inquire when I see him again.
The Doctors at Henry Ford appear to be conservative in their approach which, I very much appreciate. I plan to write up greater detail on my experience when I get a couple hours to type it in

Kay said:

I am from Michigan and drive from Grand Rapids to see Dr. Steven Chang, who is an ENT and head and neck surgeon. He does a lot of cancer surgeries in the head and neck, and told me he has to remove the styloid process to get to the cancer area. He is in Dearborn. I have been getting lidocaine and steroid injections using either CT or ultrasound guidance since January at West Bloomfield Hospital by Dr Marin, that Dr. Chang orders. I would have to say that the injections have helped me a lot, but as others would tell you, is not a permanent fix. For me, it has been worth the drive and has helped until I decide if I want surgery. Dr. Chang has done some Eagles surgeries, but likes to go more conservatively first and do the steroid injections. There is another patient down in Detroit apparently that Dr. Marin does the injections on. In fact, I was over there yesterday! I went for a consultation with Dr. Bove in Chicago at Northwestern who does intraoral surgery, but will continue steroid injections for right now. Message me for more info.

U of M refused to see me, and when I checked with a doctor at Wayne State, he declined. I may be able to hunt down a name of a doctor from Boughmont (sp) in Detroit, or Ivy on this site may remember.

Best wishes to you! Keep us posted on your progress!

I live in Ann Arbor. Both St. Joseph Mercy Hospital and the UM Health System didn't have anyone who could help me. My insurance company pointed me to Dr. Dennis Bojrab of Michigan Ear Institute. Thus far I've been extremely impressed with him and with the team he's put together for me. Seems very knowledgeable on the condition and experienced with the surgery. He's also got a really great bedside manner and his office has been solid on follow-up. Next week I'm meeting with neurosurgeon Dr. Richard Fessler. I believe this will be the primary team that will be performing my procedure.

Goes Excellent thank you. Looking forward to hearing about how well,everything turns out

Chromechaser66 said:

I live in Ann Arbor. Both St. Joseph Mercy Hospital and the UM Health System didn’t have anyone who could help me. My insurance company pointed me to Dr. Dennis Bojrab of Michigan Ear Institute. Thus far I’ve been extremely impressed with him and with the team he’s put together for me. Seems very knowledgeable on the condition and experienced with the surgery. He’s also got a really great bedside manner and his office has been solid on follow-up. Next week I’m meeting with neurosurgeon Dr. Richard Fessler. I believe this will be the primary team that will be performing my procedure.

Hi Chromechaser66
how has your experience been with Dr. Dennis Bojrab of Michigan Ear Institute so far? I'm thinking of checking them out. the way my insurance works i may end up having to pay for it myself so, I would love to here some feedback on your experience with them so far.

Chromechaser66 said:

I live in Ann Arbor. Both St. Joseph Mercy Hospital and the UM Health System didn't have anyone who could help me. My insurance company pointed me to Dr. Dennis Bojrab of Michigan Ear Institute. Thus far I've been extremely impressed with him and with the team he's put together for me. Seems very knowledgeable on the condition and experienced with the surgery. He's also got a really great bedside manner and his office has been solid on follow-up. Next week I'm meeting with neurosurgeon Dr. Richard Fessler. I believe this will be the primary team that will be performing my procedure.

Not sure of your ES symptoms, so my case may be different. But I can share what's happened to me over the past few weeks in the hope that it could be helpful.

As a reminder, I started all of this being diagnosed with bilateral carotid artery dissections in May of 2014. After 3 months on blood thinners, I was pronounced "healed". A year later my dentist commented on my extended styloid processes and that started this journey - I'm so glad he did!!!

Dr. Bojrab was great -- impressed with his style, credentials, and approach. He consulted a multi-discipline team to decide the best treatment plan. The first step was a consult with an endovascular neurosurgeon, Dr. Richard Fessler of Michigan Head & Spine. I can't say enough positive things about Dr. Fessler; exceptional skills, great bedside manner, and very pragmatic. He felt strongly that what I needed was a carotid angiogram with the possible placement of stents in my carotid arteries. He noted psuedoaneurysms in both carotid arteries. The stents would allow them to heal, as well as protecting from future injury.

I had this procedure done on 15 December, with stents placed on both sides. All went very well. He described by styloid processes as "tusks", so apparently they're pretty large. What's interesting is he has strongly advised me against any sort of ES surgery. He told me at my follow-up appointment today that the surgery is VERY risky and that the potential complications aren't worth the potential benefit.

For now, I'm healing pretty well. We have a follow-up plan, and I feel very positive. Perhaps a consult with Dr. Fessler might be beneficial.

Best of luck!

Glad things are looking up for you! It's an interesting approach though, I'm surprised he didn't remove the styloids at the same time- I had the styloid one side removed which was compressing the jugular, but was advised against putting a stent into the vein as that can be risky, can cause pain and can't be removed!! Hope things carry on improving for you!

Jules said:

Glad things are looking up for you! It's an interesting approach though, I'm surprised he didn't remove the styloids at the same time- I had the styloid one side removed which was compressing the jugular, but was advised against putting a stent into the vein as that can be risky, can cause pain and can't be removed!! Hope things carry on improving for you!

Hi Jules -- my procedure was through angiogram, so it was internal. Seems to be so much conflicting information on all of this - interesting to hear what you were told about stents.

Thanks for the reply and I'm very happy to hear that you are doing well.

Myself i'm going though the process of working with the pain clinic to manage the neuropathic pain symptoms. My doctor does not feel from the evidence that we have that surgery is the best first option in my case at this time. He sees the best action is to manage the pain, watch, and wait. But, I'm thinking that a second opinion is always a good thing to have.

Chromechaser66 said:

Not sure of your ES symptoms, so my case may be different. But I can share what's happened to me over the past few weeks in the hope that it could be helpful.

As a reminder, I started all of this being diagnosed with bilateral carotid artery dissections in May of 2014. After 3 months on blood thinners, I was pronounced "healed". A year later my dentist commented on my extended styloid processes and that started this journey - I'm so glad he did!!!

Dr. Bojrab was great -- impressed with his style, credentials, and approach. He consulted a multi-discipline team to decide the best treatment plan. The first step was a consult with an endovascular neurosurgeon, Dr. Richard Fessler of Michigan Head & Spine. I can't say enough positive things about Dr. Fessler; exceptional skills, great bedside manner, and very pragmatic. He felt strongly that what I needed was a carotid angiogram with the possible placement of stents in my carotid arteries. He noted psuedoaneurysms in both carotid arteries. The stents would allow them to heal, as well as protecting from future injury.

I had this procedure done on 15 December, with stents placed on both sides. All went very well. He described by styloid processes as "tusks", so apparently they're pretty large. What's interesting is he has strongly advised me against any sort of ES surgery. He told me at my follow-up appointment today that the surgery is VERY risky and that the potential complications aren't worth the potential benefit.

For now, I'm healing pretty well. We have a follow-up plan, and I feel very positive. Perhaps a consult with Dr. Fessler might be beneficial.

Best of luck!