ES Information: What Else Could It Be?

ES Information- If Not ES, Then What Else?
Disclaimer: These answers to common questions were put together for new members to gain a head start in finding information about Eagle Syndrome; to give you confidence to discuss issues with your medical team and to encourage you to research issues further for yourselves. It was compiled by a volunteer Moderator, who does not claim to be a medical professional, merely an informed observer and patient! The sources used are personal experiences, LivingWithTheEagle members’ experiences, and research from professional publications (some of the articles can’t be read fully unless subscribed to). Many thanks to heidemt for her research and contribution, and for her example of being your own advocate and not giving up. Members are encouraged to seek medical opinion and these pages are not intended to replace that. Members are also encouraged to research more for themselves- there is more research available but with the limitation of time and neck pain, this was the best that I could do! Past discussions are useful sources of info as well; search whatever the subject is, and you’ll often find someone who’s been through it too!

There are some quite common conditions which could also cause the common ES symptoms and some unusual ones! But also quite a few members have had other conditions alongside ES, and there are certainly a few which seem to be linked, like TMJD/TMD, Parathyroid gland disorders – several members have mentioned having disorders of the parathyroid gland, thyroid gland, and metabolism of Calcium and Vitamin D. Also in recent times more members are being diagnosed with ES alongside Dysautonomia & Cranial Instability ( Eagles and craniocervical instability, dysautonomia? ), Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, Chiari Syndrome.
Atlas rotation can also potentially cause problems too, which could affect the styloids, or possibly cause the same symptoms, so worth looking at in scan images.
For more information on causes, see the section ES Info- What Causes Eagle Syndrome?

Mentioned in research or on the forum are:
Temporomandibular joint disorders (TMJD) or TMJ arthritis, odontogenic pain, sinus pain, GPN (Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia), GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease- which can cause the foreign body symptom), TN (Trigeminal Neuralgia), Laryngopharyngeal dysesthesia, Hyoid bursitis, parotid diseases, myofascial pain, Oesophageal diverticula, Migraines or cluster headaches, Sphenopalatine neuralgia, Cervical arthritis, Temporal arteritis, chronic tonsillo-pharyngitis, hyoid bursitis, Sluder’s syndrome, Glossodynia, salivary gland disease, POTS (Postural Tachycardia Syndrome), DISH (Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis), SCDS (Superior Canal Dehiscence Syndrome), TOS (Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, there seems to be some commonality alongside ES as well ), Barre-Lieou, Trotter’s syndrome, Morgagni’s Sinus Syndrome and Ernest Syndrome.
Also after surgery didn’t resolve her symptoms, member Christy was diagnosed with Arcuate Foramina Bridge which can affect nerves & compress blood vessels in the neck, but has also had treatment for TMJD:

And also ponticulus posticus, similar to above I think, here’s a link:
SHAHIDI (2021): Evaluating the relation between the elongated styloid process and the ponticulus posticus using cone beam computed tomography - General / Research Papers - Living with Eagle
And several members have been diagnosed with Nutcracker Syndrome- a vascular compression syndrome of the renal vein- which can cause a back up in the venous system and potential symptoms similar to jugular compression but renal symptoms too.
Have fun googling those!

1 Like

I found another possible causes for most of the symptoms which is pterygoid hamulus bursitis/syndrome. This is a very rare condition, rarer than ES.

2 Likes

Yes. We’ve had one member that actually had that & had surgery for it at the same time as having ES surgery. I had totally forgotten about it until you sent your post. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Happy to help.I just thought that any info that beneficial for me will definitely benefits others too. Compare to ES, surgery for this is less invansive.

2 Likes

I just added my new info under general discussion…I believe I have a new puzzle piece and while I do not have “normal” or “typical” ES maybe it can help someone else!

1 Like

That makes sense…thanks for the input I really need it right now! The gland is really big and painful…it is bigger than when that scan was taken. I will keep your input in mind when I see the DR. again.

1 Like