Finally diagnosed

It is interesting to hear a discussion on thyroid calcification. Thanks for sharing. A recent neck x-ray indicated that I have thyroid gland calcification, "ironically" on the same side as my neck/throat symptoms. The doctor didn't seem to think that the calcification had anything to do with my neck symptoms, since I have no tumor or enlargement of the gland, had a "normal" TSH about a year ago and do not have overt clinical symptoms of either hyper or hypothyroidism. My argument is that a normal thyroid gland should not be calcified, so it does indicate some degree of a pathologic process, whether it be benign or malignant. Like Abigail mentioned, soft tissue calcification usually reflects previous/ongoing inflammation to the tissue, trauma to the tissue, presence of a tumor, or metabolic alterations of calcium/phosphorus/vitamin D (though usually in this case, many soft tissues in the body can become mineralized). The thing to remember is often times endocrine problems can be insidious, especially diseases like Hashimoto's thyroiditis. For obvious reasons, thyroid problems can be associated with neck and throat symptoms, and it is one more thing for people on this site to consider. I swear, though, I think many physician have either forgotten basic pathology, or they just slept through their pathology classes.

Most of the information I have found on thryoid calcification is related to tumors...I can't seem to find much about calcification in the absence of goiter/tumor. But from now on, I will definitely get at least yearly thryroid panels done.