Headed to Denver tomorrow

That is a decent diameter - it could have been more of the thickness of the base than the length causing the compression, thus the clean angiogram after resection.

1 Like

Based on this snippet of the report, May be they only needed to remove a few mm (6mm)of the Styloid to decompress it. They also seem to have removed fibrous surroundings and away from C1 to further open the vein. So the subsequent Venogram showed the vein fully open and patent. At this point, I do not think the removal of the entire Styloid would have made difference.

2 Likes

My pharmacy had to order whatever blood thinners Dr. Hepworth called in. I should be picking them up today and will start them right away to see if they make a difference.

1 Like

Here is the report from my jugular sonogram. I’m not sure if it was done correctly or not but thought it might interest some with the Dude’s posting. Someone else might be able to get more out of it than I can :slight_smile:

ULTRASOUND VENOUS UPPER EXTREMITY/INTERNAL JUGULAR VEINS- BILATERAL:

TECHNIQUE: Vascular compressibility and color / duplex Doppler evaluation of the venous system of the bilateral upper extremities performed.

INDICATION: Eagle syndrome.

COMPARISON: None.

FINDINGS:

RIGHT INTERNAL JUGULAR VEIN:

The extracranial right jugular vein demonstrate normal compressibility and blood flow on color flow and spectral Doppler evaluation. There is no evidence of thrombosis or stenosis. There is no evidence of extrinsic vascular compression between the sternocleidomastoid and omohyoid muscles or at the level of C1/jugular foramen outflow.

Measurement/flow velocities:

Jugular vein base of neck: 2.2 x 1.8 cm; 41 cm/s

Jugular vein at approximately the interface of the sternocleidomastoid and omohyoid muscles: 1.6 x 1.5 cm;

35 cm/s

Jugular vein level of carotid bulb: 1.5 x 0.7 cm; 42 cm/s

Jugular vein at approximately the C1 level: 1.0 x 0.9 cm; 124 cm/s

Jugular vein at high risk visualization near the jugular foramen: 0.4 x 0.7 cm; 150 cm/s.

LEFT INTERNAL JUGULAR VEIN:

The extracranial left jugular vein demonstrates normal compressibility and blood flow on color flow and spectral Doppler evaluation. There is no evidence of thrombosis or stenosis. There is no evidence of extrinsic vascular compression between the sternocleidomastoid and omohyoid muscles or at the level of C1/jugular foramen outflow.

Measurement/flow velocities:

Jugular vein base of neck: 1.5 × 1.4 cm; 18 cm/s

Jugular vein at approximately the interface of the sternocleidomastoid and omohyoid muscles: 1.6 x 1.0 cm;

27 cm/s

Jugular vein level of carotid bulb: 1.0 x 0.5 cm; 80 cm/s

Jugular vein at approximately the C1 level: 0.7 x 0.6 cm; 53 cm/s

Jugular vein at high risk visualization near the jugular foramen: 0.6 × 0.5 cm; 81 cm/s

IMPRESSION:

Right upper extremity:

1. No evidence of internal jugular vein thrombosis.
  2. No evidence of internal jugular vein compression or stenosis.

Right side

I am not really sure if these speeds are considered normal at C1 level and Jugular Foramen level. 124 cm/s & 150 cm/s seems high to me (not sure if it was properly done though).

1 Like

I sent the disk to Dr. Hepworth so hopefully he will be able to determine if they did it correctly. They tried to reach his office with questions before the scans and didn’t have any luck.

1 Like

I sure am having a flare-up this week. Lots of ringing in my left ear, pressure in my head and tightness in the jaw and neck.

I’m not very knowledgeable on this, but there seems to be a big variation in size & flow velocity in the areas of the right IJV if you compare the change from the base of neck to the jugular foramen?

3 Likes

Flare ups are so frustrating but they usually resolve after several days. I hope you find this to be true. Starting a blood thinner should be helpful in reducing symptoms. @blossom had to take a blood thinner for some months post op. Can’t remember if she’s been able to stop taking it by now.

5 Likes

I’ve been off blood thinners for almost a year, hallelujah, but yes, I did take them for 3-4 weeks about two months post op. It helped clear up whatever was going on, and thankfully my pain didn’t return after I quit them.

I’ve had one bad flare up since then, this summer, not sure why other than I was stressed and planning my wedding last minute… Dr H suggested I try a trial run of aspirin or Plavix if it persisted, but thankfully it didn’t! For whatever reason it cleared up after about 10 days.

I still have occasional aches and pains but my pain overall is 90-95 percent reduced.

7 Likes

So glad that the surgery has helped you, & thank you for taking the time to come back on here to give info to others! Are congratulations in order then? :two_hearts: :bride_with_veil: :kiss_woman_man: :wedding:

4 Likes

Yes we got married August 6th in a very small ceremony in northern Michigan (husband is from there.) It was lovely but planning it last minute had me a bit stressed and I think it must have done a doozy on my head. Dr H said things like too much sodium, dehydration, hormonal changes all could contribute to a flare up as well so who knows.

4 Likes

How long do you have to take blood thinners before they start working?

Hi @stuuke,

I’d say they work pretty quickly on the blood. Maximum a few hours. For effects on symptome relief it takes some days to 2 weeks from my experiences with Xa-factor-inhibitors.
Hope you will have some good relief soon. :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

It can make some people temporarily worse and then better - just a heads up.

3 Likes

Anywhere from a few hours to 3-4 days. It varied each time I took them.

1 Like

@blossom & @TheDude just wondering what symptoms of IJVS does Plavix/XA factor inhibitors help with? Headache/head pressure, tinnitus, facial pressure, vision etc. I am trying to see if it benefits me as I have never tried blood thinners for fear of adverse effects but if it will help with blood flow post surgery swelling, I am willing to give a try. What dosage do you start with?

3 Likes

Yes, @blossom, Thank you for the update. So glad you’re doing fine now but sorry for the set back.

Congrats on your marriage! Small is good! My daughter also married a guy from Michigan but in Wyoming a few years ago. Because we’re West Coasters, not too many people wanted to fly to WY for the wedding. It ended up being mostly the two families, but it was grand anyway! :cowboy_hat_face: :partying_face: :confetti_ball:

3 Likes

For me it helps with all symptoms connected to IJVS. I’m on Eliquis now with 2,5mg twice a day. It is a preventive dose. Here in Germany they are believing that plavix or aspirin doesn’t work well on the venous side thats why the Xa-Inhibitors are used. Good results with plavix which is used by some members here proof the opposite though. I’d say it is worth to give it a try for one month and determine whether there are positive effects.

4 Likes

Congratulations :hugs: :wedding: :champagne:

3 Likes