Hello everyone I’m new here IJV Eagles

IH can cause feelings of like wearing a hat. Trigeminal Neuralgia can cause funny sensations in the nerves, if you look at where the nerve branches are, you’ll see where they run…mine have been playing up today & have definitely had that tightness!

1 Like

Happy Cake Day, @Jules!! :partying_face::partying_face:
You won’t see this till tomorrow so I should have said belated. :grin:

2 Likes

Got my appointment with Dr Bunnell I’m excited.

1 Like

Had a question for you @Isaiah_40_31 so I read where a member on here got Dr Bunnell to do their surgery. And they said that he stated that he doesn’t take it to base of the skull, because of the potential of nerve damage and bleeding. He left 1cm of her styloid. Do you think that if he took mine down to 1 cm it would actually relieve my flow in my IJV? My styloid is very vertical angle and I just can’t tell if it would be enough. My left styloid is 42mm total.

Sorry it’s getting closer to me seeing the doctors. I’m just really hoping that this is the main cause of what’s going on with me. I’ve been to so many doctors and I just want to be able to work or even walk around without feeling like I’m dizzy or falling. Sorry a little anxious tonight :sweat_smile:

I’m sorry for the slow response, Caleb. I wish I could give you a solid answer, but I will have to defer to Dr. Bunnell. He’ll need to go over your CT scan with you & listen to your concerns about your compressed IJV. Any surgeon who does your surgeon may not know until your neck is open, how much styloid will have to be removed to stop the IJV compression. Things look different on a CT than in real life i.e. when the surgeon can see the structures live.

Your best bet with any doctor you “interview” is to share your concerns & make note of what a given doctor’s surgical approach would be then choose the doctor whose approach seems the most thorough & makes the most sense.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

It’s definitely worth asking the doctors to look at your scans & give you their opinion on that- my veins were compressed nearly up to skull base, the UK surgeon I saw did remove them completely. That said, most doctors will have to review the situation when they get in & may not be able to if it’s not safe…

1 Like

Congrats alawton!
Time off varies with each person and the type of job you are performing. I started back part-time after 2 weeks and had a desk job the 1st time. I wish I had done 3 weeks. The 2nd time around I was able to get 6 weeks (included 2 week paid COVID quarantine pre-surgery) and really glad I did that. It was also around thanksgiving & xmas time so I got to enjoy the holidays too! There has been some die hard members here (probably younger side) that have gone back within a week. If you had paid time off, take as much as you can. Generally most of us feel pretty good 6-8 weeks out after surgery with some lingering nerve healing. 12 weeks seems to be a good marker but it all depends on the person.

3 Likes

Caleb,
I have had ongoing problems with tightness in my scalenes and neck muscles. I have also had tightness in the scalp and face as you describe. I especially had extreme tightness in my temples and side of head which is the temporalis muscles. In my case, the trigeminal nerve was being compressed and causing the temporalis muscles to be rock hard and super painful. I have neck instability from EDS hypermobility.
I still got adjustments from my chiropractor prior to ES surgery and between surgeries because it is all that works to get my neck back into alignment. Have you ever tried cranial-sacral therapy? A good osteopath doc who is experienced in the gentle and subtle neck and skull work has done wonders for me. Ive also found warm water aerobics to be helpful for the tight shoulders and is low impact.

1 Like
  • Did you have any IJV compression from your styloid or c1? And I have never heard of cranial sacral therapy. I will definitely look into it.

• My spine is involved and I think it’s what started all my symptoms. My styloid and c1 almost touch when I’m lying in neutral position, and that’s with my chin/head actually angled up a little.

• The doctor I seen thinks that the styloid is causing pressure and pushing my c1 out of place. As well as compressing my IJV. I have collateral veins that have grown. So that leads me to believe that my spine and my Eagles getting worse is was what triggered all my symptoms.

• I have a military / mild S curve in my cervical spine. Most likely due to my body trying to compensate and move my head further forward to keep the styloid farther away and keep
    pressure off the nerves, IJV and c1. But I think I reached my breaking point when this started and I can’t compensate anymore and my styloid hits against my c1. And I get brain stem/spinal cord issues as well from the c1 being out of place.

• I have Intracranial hypertension that has caused my optic sheath on my left eyes to become damaged and dilated and you can see the flattening of my eye on my left side in my mri.
    Sorry for long response :sweat_smile:

Yeah I am just nervous I feel like this is a big step and I really hope he thinks he could relieve the pressure. But I actually think the spine issues are just as bad as my compression on my IJV. And if he can trim it above my c1 transverse process maybe I will get relief from that as well. Where my c1 can stay in place longer than one day :laughing:

2 Likes

LOL. Mine goes out if I sneeze. :rofl:
I do not think I had IJV compression from styloid. I may have a bone spur at C1 or two but recent fall will probably cause me to seek out further evaluation of neck to see what is going on. Its all I got left to deal with. Cant be styloids anymore as they were removed.
Wow. Styloid definately sounds like its got to come out. I understand about how our bodies compensate to avoid painful positions causing further dysfunction in our posture and spines. Totally agree!!!

Definately seek out cranial sacral manipulation. I caution you that many massage/PT people claim to know it …my attending a few weekend workshops. I found an excellent OT (occupational therapist) and found that those who were trained at the Upledger Institute methods to be the best. Some osteopaths are skilled at it. I have to say that I wished I had learned of this back in my early 20’s before I had excessive chiropractic adjustments.

2 Likes