Important info regarding CT Scans

Hello everyone,

I just got back from my first visit with an Eagle's ENT and subsequent blood tests (to rule out a Thyroid connection). I showed him my CT scans (including the one that initially said I have bi-lateral elongated styloids) from previous doctors and after looking at them he said, "These really don't tell me what I need to know, as they are the standard "axial plane" view. I need the "sagittal plane" view to properly see the styloids, so I am ordering a new 3D scan with contrast." He will also be scanning for Vernet's Syndrome.

I immediately thought about all the members on this site who are having trouble convincing doctors that despite the fact that their CT scan doesn't show anything concrete, it doesn't mean that it is not Eagle Syndrome.

I wonder if the average doctor understands the difference in image results between the axial and sagittal views?

Has anyone else had this experience?

Red Pill

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagittal_plane

Red Pill,

Thanks for sharing the information. OK you made me giggle with your question "average doctor understand the difference between views"? My money is on,NO!!!!

So when scanning for Vernet's is it best to have 3D with contrast? I hope you get the next image sooner than later. Sorry for your delay. Keep us posted.

Hi BigsBug,

I'd like to say that I purposely used the "average doctor" line, but it honestly didn't occur to me that I was being funny. Glad I could provide some humour for you.

Regarding the best type of scan for Vernet's, I really don't know. He was aware of my concern and acknowledged that a CT scan should be able to show it, assuming the viewer knows what to look for. All in all, I am pleased with how quickly the diagnosis process is progressing (so far at least).

I will definitely keep everyone posted on the process as well as any new info.

Red Pill