Making Your Own 3D Images from CT Scan- 3D Slicer Tutorial

I am having a difficult time despite these instructions. Help!

Hi, this video tutoial might help:

1 Like

Thank you! Iā€™ll watch it and give it a try again!

This is so frustrating still, even with the tutorials. Iā€™ve never felt so technology-challenged in my life until I tried to do this. Iā€™m at the part where you can paint over the area you want and then make it 3D. When I do that, it just shows up as a blob of paint in the 3D window.

Hi Athena,
I am sorry that you have problems with the software. But it is also really confusing due to the many functions. I donā€™t know how to explain it either, but I found another video. Look there especially from minute 5:00 to 11:00. Just donā€™t get discouraged, itā€™s actually quite easy if you know how to do it. Good luck.

I got this to work on day 1 then afterward it seems very buggy. I tried reinstalling several times and it still wonā€™t work.

If you Google 3D Slicer programs, there are several that will come up. The program on our forum was posted several years ago & may need an update. Try to see what you can find on Google.

I am the last person you want looking up computer programs lol. Peopleā€™s computers have been known to shut down when I just walk in the room.

1 Like

Jjay~ Sorry I missed this post. My response is :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:. I think weā€™re technological twins!

1 Like

@Isaiah_40_31 I finally got a CD reader and am trying to figure out how to make a 3D of my dicom files but Iā€™m reallly struggling!

Have you tried using the 3D slicer tutorial on our forum? Making Your Own 3D Images from CT Scan- 3D Slicer Tutorial

Iā€™m not techy so apologize that I canā€™t help you. There are ppl on the forum who are. You can try asking for help via a post.

Yes that is the one we are on! haha Iā€™ve been trying but I keep seeing this odd structure in my neck like just laying there

This is what I have made thus far and not sure what to make of it hahaa

Iā€™m impressed!!! That turned out GREAT!! You did a good job!!! Your styloid is very clear. It looks thick in the top half & wavy & pointed in the bottom half. Sometimes things show up in CT scans that are called artifacts. They can look ominous but theyā€™re nothing, just weird shapes that arenā€™t even in your neck or wherever the CT is imaging. The line below your chin looks like it could be some sort of marker that was used outside of your neck when the scan was taken.

Try to see if you can get the image of the right side, too.

1 Like

Do you mean the slice structures on the back of the head?
I think this is from CT scan and because it takes slices. Maybe they were a bit raw. You can render that away using the smoothing checkbox in rendering options on the left.

1 Like

Now this is what Iā€™ve gotten for the other side somehow turned it red LOL still working on it

Nice 3D views you already have. Looks very interesting too. Just play a bit with the Presets in Volume Rendering and you will find one that gives you the best view. For setting the threshold shift I recommend orienting at the thyroid cartilage as a structure with less density than a bone and more than tissue. So when the thyroid cartilage is completely shown in the 3D view the threshold shift (in Volume Rendering; beneath the presets) should be adjusted properly. Worked good at least with my images.

The grooves should dissappear when choosing the smoothing checkbox (in advanced settings for volume rendering, when I remember right). With that the computer calculates a smooth surface on structures. But thatā€™s only calculated, reality might look a bit different then.

Hope that helps you.

2 Likes

The hyoid bone processes look quite long; it could be calcification of the stylo-hyoid ligaments from that end up, or just long cornuā€¦We have had a few members whoā€™ve had hyoid bone surgery, but not many, not all the surgeons will do it. Itā€™s certainly worth asking about though.

1 Like

I agree with Jules. After looking at your first image & this one, it does look like your stylohyoid ligaments could be calcified coming off of the hyoid bone (rather than from the styloid end) & the greater horn of they hyoid looks long on the right side. I canā€™t tell about the left for sure. Your right styloid looks pretty normal length so itā€™s more the ligaments on the right that might be the problem. Remember that I am not a doctor & could be way off with my speculation.

Dr. Hackman is very astute. He will be able to help sort out what the scans show for sure.