Making Your Own 3D Images from CT Scan- 3D Slicer Tutorial

Thank you all!
When I went to the ENT first I legit thought I fractured my hyoid bone lol.
My appointment with Dr. Hackman got moved up to September 21st!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s AMAZING NEWS! So glad your appt will be sooner!

Hyoid bone fractures are very painful! Iā€™m glad yours was intact. :blush:

Good news that you donā€™t have so long to wait!

Hi, donā€™t know if anyone is still on this page but I tried the 3D slicer programā€“or my husband did, many, many times and ultimately the problem is that one of the series/studies does NOT show up in the list or drop down entry (after we open the eye) even though it is in the initial list of the uploaded files. Of course, itā€™s the critical one. We can get a 3D image of the top half of my skull on another study/series but of thatā€™s not what I want to see most. Can anyone advise or can I send you the files and see if you can do it? I have a lot riding on this information b/c the radiologist said my veins and arteries are fine even though 10 months ago a 3D rendering done by Dr. Middleton showed a very significant problem on both sides. help!

If you have Windows machine, try Radiant Viewer. Much easier to use

1 Like

thank you. Will try!

1 Like

It is easy to use but I still canā€™t see anything but a few slices of each series even though it says there are over a 1100 pictures in the one that I most important. Maybe they didnā€™t give me all the pictures. I donā€™t know whatā€™s wrong. None of the series shows anything useful as they are all just tiny bits even in 3D.

1 Like

whoops. I didnā€™t wait long enough for the files to load. I did get the whole head and am learning how to cut away parts. Absolutely no flow visible on the left jugular vein and big one on the right. It looks similar to the one I did last year that a professional did the 3D thing but not as clear since I donā€™t know what I am doing. Thanks!

3 Likes

Try to copy the CD content to the computerā€™s disc and the radiant will load the images practically instantaneously.

HI EVERYBODY!!
Iā€™m WAY out of touch with my messages, but to all the people still having trouble making images, this may help!
3D Slicer has gone through some significant updates and changes since I wrote this tutorial. It almost looks like a different program! Plus it is much more resource heavy and some peopleā€™s computers just canā€™t handle it.
Luckily, Slicer keeps a library of older versions of their program. I wrote this tutorial based on 3D Slicer version 4.5.0-1 and you can download it in the link below:
3D Slicer Version 4.5.0-1

2 Likes

Thanks @SnappleofDiscord , this has been a really useful post, & well used! :grinning:

1 Like