Odd question about being monotone/ having trouble with vocal variety

Has anyone previous to their styloid surgery had much trouble with expressing emotions with their voice because of being fairly monotone? Also, trouble with having a natural laugh that didn’t feel forced or painful? I am an acting major at school, but I struggle deeply with emotional variety in my voice as I am quite monotone especially when my throat is in pain. A part of me is really hoping that this could be due to the styloids. Curious if others are experiencing this or have experienced it and had the fortune of it going away after the surgery.

I haven’t ever thought of the reasons for it, but yes, I am fairly monotone. If a friend does an impression of me, it is invariably an exaggerated monotone. I am not yet fully diagnosed with Eagles, so take it with a grain of salt.

2 Likes

There’s certainly been a few discussions about vocal changes with ES, here’s a post I did a while back on a discussion:
‘There is a research paper mentioning voice issues with ES, it’s ‘Management of Dysphagia Pre and Postoperatively In a Case Of Eagle’s Syndrome by Lewis, Hoffman, Spector In 2015’. Also in Fusco, Asteraki, and Spetzler’s (Eagle’s Syndrome Embryology, Anatomy, and Clinical management, 2012) study, they mention vocal changes.
Cranial nerve 10 has been suggested as a nerve which could be compressed or irritated with ES; Motor branches of CN X are responsible for phonation, so compression of this part of the nerve could explain hoarseness or vocal changes.
In this discussion eagleheart says surgery cured her voice issues :bouquet: ES and voice problems
This is a current discussions about singers & voice issues:
Pro singer just diagnosed! So many questions… (and want to connect with other singers!)
MusicGeek has posted about her journey- she has been able to get back to some singing after surgery, but it’s been a difficult journey:
Are there any saxophonist or wind musicians out there?
There’s probably more- feel free to use the search function for the discussions!’
Here’s a link to that discussion if you want to read the full thing:
Voice hoarseness pain/ loss of voice - General - Living with Eagle
Hope this helps!

2 Likes

I have also noticed that I have had some changes in my voice. I have lost my ability to sing, which, though I am not a professional, has always brought me joy and been an emotional release. I have found some improvement following my styloid surgery, I try to sing some every day and have found that this does help to work the vocal cords. Also, my PT gave me some exercise for muscles that help with this (I think) but I have not been able to do them well.

1 Like

I hope you can get back to singing properly, & pleased that you have seen some improvements!

1 Like

Jen,

PT exercises can take time to master especially when the muscles are weak. Do what you can but be consistent, & gradually you should find that you’re able to do them better & better. :blush:

1 Like

Thank you for the encouragement and reassurance. I will get back to it! I will need to review with her. She has been amazing and helped so much. Sometimes isolating those small muscles seems impossible. I have to remember “if at first I don’t succeed, try and try again” sometimes it can just be…well exhausting. I appreciate your gentle encouragement and look forward to giving a good report!!

2 Likes

Also might be due to some muscles being restricted by those spikes

2 Likes