Post op left side

I hope I’m doing this correct. I’m not to good with this. I had surgery May 19 on the left side. The surgeon and I decided to do this side first even though the right side is longer because it is right between both Carotid arteries. I woke up after the surgery and was able to walk out of the hospital. I had no postop pain just a lot of swelling. Most of my symptoms seem to have subsided. I haven’t felt this good in three years. I found my surgeon online from Baystate, Medical Center in Boston, and he had just relocated to Hartford Connecticut luckily for me, he did not do the surgery alone, he said it was too risky so he had an ENT surgeon help with it. I went to see my surgeon yesterday and he cleared to go back to work Monday. I asked him if he was OK with me posting his name and said sure. His name is Mohammad Khaled and he is with Hartford Hospital here in Connecticut.

2 Likes

Great that you’re feeling so well after surgery, so pleased for you! Thanks for giving us the info about your surgeon, it’s good to have another name to add to the list, I’ve added him on!

1 Like

It’s totally amazing that your recovery has gone so well & so fast, @Tommyh! That is truly remarkable! Dr. Khaled sounds like a terrific surgeon. I’m so glad you found him & he was willing to help you. We’re happy to add good surgeons to our Doctors List!

For anyone who’s looking for a doctor in the eastern part of the US, here’s a link to a nice introductory video done by Dr. Khaled:

1 Like

Glad it went well for you. I saw him. He told me I did not have ES and to stop looking for things that aren’t there. Fast forward to meeting with Dr. Annino. I do have ES, vascular variant. Surgery is being recommended. I am seeing Hepworth next month as well.
He based his opinion on my styloids being very short. He did not take into account the proximity to my C1 transverse process or the angle.
He had only done 2 ES surgeries when I met him late 2022.
I would not add him personally as a recommendation based on not looking outside the box. Hope you are doing well.

1 Like

Personally, I would remove him as a recommended Dr.

So sorry to hear that. I’m sure there are better doctors out there. I guess I got lucky if that’s what you call it. Thanks for the input and whoever runs this site wants to remove him that’s their call. Thank you.
Tommyh

1 Like

As long as a doctor has done a successful surgery then we do keep them on the list, unless we hear otherwise. Unfortunately many of the doctors we have on our list will judge whether patients have ES or not based on the length of the styloids, so if we removed every doctor who refused a patient surgery then we wouldn’t have many left :grimacing: I will note that by his name though. I’m sorry that we wasn’t able to help you, but very pleased for you that Dr Annino has diagnosed you and that you have an appt with Dr Hepworth as well< hope that you can get your surgery soon!

1 Like

I totally understand. This surgeon was 15 minutes from me. I so wish it was a different outcome with my visit. I am glad I kept pushing. Nothing is normal or easy with me!

2 Likes

Unfortunately, my ES was not obvious. I am so glad to hear it went well. Where in Connecticut are you?

I am in Northford. Not far from Yale New Haven and as big as that hospital is, they dontt have anyone who knows about ES. We are so lucky to have this forum, the people who run it and those with ES that post on it. I learned more here than from any doctor, including my dentist who diagnosed me. I ran out of options after two years and decided to mention my symptoms to her because one of my symptoms was lower jaw pain at times. She immediately said ES. I couldn’t believe it after all the doctors and probably 5,000.00 in copays just here there is nothing wrong.
Thanks for everything from everyone on this site. I’m so lucky to have you guys!:kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Agree!
They treat you like a hypochondriac. We are the CEO’s of our bodies. We know when something is off. Unfortunately, there are many of us who go undiagnosed for many health conditions. I was just told to go to pain management where they fill you with prescription meds. All this gets put in your chart. I have been accused of Dr. shopping. Unreal. I am so happy you have gotten help!

2 Likes

@Brandy - I’m really glad you’ve gotten a diagnosis (finally!) & are seeing two very experienced ES surgeons. You can’t go wrong w/ either of them.

I had a great experience w/ the surgeon who did my styloidectomies, but since then others have not had the good outcome I did. He is also picky about how he defines ES & has turned away members from our forum who clearly had ES & needed surgery. We are fortunate to have a fairly extensive Doctors List so there is more than one option for our members. It is unfortunate that traveling to an experienced surgeon for help is sometimes necessary.

1 Like